Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Labour party leader Alan Kelly

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

L1011 wrote: »
    At no stage does he say he recused himself.

He says he was disinvited as the broadcaster had decided to impose a gender balance.

You may be reading things that aren't there due to your preconceptions.

I admit, I was working off memory on my initial post.

Still shows he hasn't got a pair of balls on him. Not only does he happily agree to his own removal, he boasts about how necessary it was.

Apparently Mick McCarthy resigned because no women were interviewed to be his successor.

See, imagine how sad that would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

They don't represent the people that the Labour Party was set up to protect

The working class

Show me one party that does represent the working class.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Who votes for a plonker like him.
    The people of Raheny who obviously want to end the housing crisis but don't want those new builds near them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Tv footage of this 'election' showed clear breaches of the social distancing guidelines. One rule for us, another for the so called leaders.

One barrister locked in a room in accountancy firm Mazars counted the votes

Maybe you were looking at footage from Nenagh in 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was a die-hard Labour voter for years but they lost touch a good while back. Had hoped that Aodhán Ó Ríordáin would get in and I think he could have been the man to turn their fortunes around and at least try to connect with a new generation but now with Kelly I fear it's more of the same and a slide into irrelevance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭golfball37

Alan Kelly is a politician who gets things done. People in Ireland prefer spoofers and not people like Kelly. I wish him all the best and I think he’ll make a very good leader in Dáil Éireann

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Alan Kelly doesn't have much of a likeability factor about him. I always though he came across as quite cold.

I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

O riordain should join the Soc Dems, more suited to their uber WOKE agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

golfball37 wrote: »
    Alan Kelly is a politician who gets things done. People in Ireland prefer spoofers and not people like Kelly. I wish him all the best and I think he’ll make a very good leader in Dáil Éireann

His arrogance will be his undoing.
    Hateful ****.
    To have someone like that associated with the Labour Party is a contradiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Alan Kelly is politician who gets his brother to do things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

His arrogance will be his undoing.
    Hateful ****.
    To have someone like that associated with the Labour Party is a contradiction.

You'll get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Absolutely. They mistake competence for arrogance. The Labour Party has never ran away from government in tough times, and I don’t think they will this time either. A party of principle, and a party of Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Absolutely. They mistake competence for arrogance. The Labour Party has never ran away from government in tough times, and I don’t think they will this time either. A party of principle, and a party of Government.

You might want to tell Alan Kelly that. At the moment he looks to be running away from government.

https://www.thejournal.ie/alan-kelly-labour-government-formation-5068703-Apr2020/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    O riordain should join the Soc Dems, more suited to their uber WOKE agenda

I'm a member of the Soc Dems, have to agree. To many woke candidates have infiltrated. That's not the change the country wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

jams100 wrote: »
    He seems quite cold and out of touch to me, my abiding memory of him will be this. Celebrating like a mad man when on the same day his party was decimated. Seems like a man of little substance and class.

He's a nightmare. If Labour want him its good they got him, let's the electorate know what they have become.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I'm a member of the Soc Dems, have to agree. To many woke candidates have infiltrated. That's not the change the country wants.

What did you expect with Shortall as co party leader.

Donnelly was a big loss to your party.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,797 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You couldny get more woke than Donnelly and Shortalls background is the complete opposite of woke.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭TheDavester

I admit, I was working off memory on my initial post.

Still shows he hasn't got a pair of balls on him. Not only does he happily agree to his own removal, he boasts about how necessary it was.

Apparently Mick McCarthy resigned because no women were interviewed to be his successor.

See, imagine how sad that would be.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/they-called-me-gay-dan-oqueer-don-td-aodhan-o-riordain-reveals-bullying-hell-in-school-30699075.html

surprised he didnt re use this to score sympathy points....looking at his twitter feed, he's such an eye -rolling woke prat

Shows how unliked he is compared to Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

He’s a donkey, disaster for the party!

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

Donnelly was a loss, however he showed his true colours by going straight to Finna Fail. An opportunist looking for a ministerial position is all he is. Completely lost respect for him when he done that. Pure opportunist and careerist move. No shame either, sad cause he did give the impression he wanted to make a positive difference before that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

That Alan Kelly is everywhere these days. Seemingly on every radio station and several times on TV. The guy just loves the limelight. Just can't take any more of his fake pity and snide remarks at the current government. The only td that really grinds my gears

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

That Alan Kelly is everywhere these days. Seemingly on every radio station and several times on TV. The guy just loves the limelight. Just can't take any more of his fake pity and snide remarks at the current government. The only td that really grinds my gears

You would be complaining if he wasn't to be seen or heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭golfball37

Kelly has been brilliant during the lockdown holding a spotlight on lack of cancer services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Actually turned off the radio the other day when I heard Kelly was coming on.
    Like his predecessor, he seems to have rediscovered the aims of the Labour movement outside the cabinet table, no doubt he'll conveniently lose it again should a return to high office ever reappear. Hypocrite of the highest order, along with Howlin, Burton, Gilmour, Rabbitte et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

AK is on a media offensive lately.

Much more effective than Howlin Brendan IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Hollow vessels and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭TallyRand

Bowie wrote: »
    He's a nightmare. If Labour want him its good they got him, let's the electorate know what they have become.

Absolutely, a real sociopath. A politicians politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

A comatose sloth would be more effective than Howlin,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah he has been a lot more high profile than Howlin who was missing in action a lot of the time in the hope people would forget.

Kelly seems to have a penchant for latching on to a specific topic and then garnering good media coverage out of it, like Cervical Check and now cancer services during lockdown. He will do a lot to bolster the profile of Labour.

I still wouldnt trust him though.

Advertisement