Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric hair trimmer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

dmc17 wrote: »

The Wahl Super Taper at ~€60 is a good clippers and seems to be showing as in stock when you add to cart on Salon Savers.

Plus VAT on that one may be others?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭dmc17

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Plus VAT on that one may be others?

Apologies, didn't know they were ex VAT prices. I've been using one of those clippers for years and would recommend

dmc17 wrote: »
    Apologies, didn't know they were ex VAT prices. I've been using one of those clippers for years and would recommend

I looked at the price and wondered why it was so cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

I have an electric razor that’s more for a beard than a hair cut... I’m tempted to give the back and sides a trim, how likely is it that I’ll be able to get a semi normal cut from it? I usually get a 0.5 on the back and sides so not bothered about the length.

EDIT: it’s this one but I don’t have the additional heads anymore. https://ie.carethy.net/hygiene-and-health/braun/p-363940?r=4210201167556&gclid=CjwKCAjwg6b0BRBMEiwANd1_SBNDwcxDT3AF1j5mwSDE1pLm83DX19MG8Yw0qSttnw3cJepNhgkTrBoCtdcQAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭billyhead

Are you folks shaving your heads yourself. I live on my own so I don't know if I should give it a go myself in case I make a mess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Depends how short you're going. If you go as short as the razor can go it's fairly obvious if you missed a spot when you feel the back of your head.
    That's what I go for but my hair grows back fast.
    For longer cuts I'm sure you could learn the basic techniques from youtube. And of course if you have a portable mirror you can use 2 mirrors to check the back of your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Pistachio19

Our chemist has some in stock so will get one tomorrow. Husband tried cutting sons hair yesterday with a beard trimmer - no joy. It's too narrow and not powerful enough. He stopped after doing 2 short strips.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

billyhead wrote: »
    Are you folks shaving your heads yourself. I live on my own so I don't know if I should give it a go myself in case I make a mess.

I don't live alone but I intend to do it myself.

I'll be using the bigger combs so it'll still be long enough that I probably can't make a total horror show of it.

That said, I'm not incapable of making an àrse of it either :pac: But enough time without seeing too many people will pass before the growth covers the majority of sins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Has your package been shipped? I checked for mine and it says "under process".
    bush wrote: »
    https://www.babyliss.co.uk/super-clipper-xtp-hair-clipper-7475DU.html

Seems like a decent price for this one. 100 euro on argos

• Registered Users Posts: 6,385 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

billyhead wrote: »

If you are shaving all over with the same blade attachment then you won't go too far wrong doing it yourself. Obviously use a mirror and for the back of the head just take your time. A handy little trick is to check for missed areas by taking a small video recording of the back of your head, that will show what you've missed. It's not ideal but it's something when there is no one in the house to check for you.
    Another tip, like face shaving, it's all about the angle of the blade on the surface. Don't change the angle at the wrist, let the elbow do the moving and keep the wrist at the same position. That way will ensure you're always attacking the hair at the same angle all the time.

Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

I bought two online today from power city €35 each with €6 delivery charge , should have them in two working Days.
    https://powercity.ie/product/HC366
    Giving a bad link but they had lots of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I don't live alone but I intend to do it myself.

I'll be using the bigger combs so it'll still be long enough that I probably can't make a total horror show of it.

That said, I'm not incapable of making an àrse of it either :pac: But enough time without seeing too many people will pass before the growth covers the majority of sins.

If you’ve a round head you might end up looking like a tennis ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

endacl wrote: »
    If you’ve a round head you might end up looking like a tennis ball.

I don't but I've reconciled myself to the fact that I may look a bit odd.

I foresee an increase in hat sales to the point that it might even become fashionable to wear a hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

Some of you might find this link useful, if looking for a few tips on how to cut hair:

https://www.wikihow.com/Cut-a-Man%27s-Hair

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vowel Movement

I resorted to using the Zoofari animal clippers I got for the dog in Lidl. As far as I can tell they are basically the same clipers a barber would use. Number 4 all over, tidy job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Has your package been shipped? I checked for mine and it says "under process".

Being Processed

Date Ordered: 05/04/2020
    Order Status: Being Processed

I doubt if it would arrive by this week.
    bush wrote: »
    Being Processed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Gents,

Wondering how you're finding the scissors that accompany some of the electric clippers?

While beggars can't be choosers at the moment, I have very thick hair, and I'd prefer to wait for restocking rather than butchering it with rubbish scissors.

My kemei https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MJFRF1N/ arrived (early as it was on back order and not supposed to arrive till the 16th). So gave it a try out on the beard. WOW, 30 second job with a number 1 (3mm) guard/comb and its done.

For thirty pounds its excellent, seems to be a good copy of a Whal trimmer and takes the Whal guards/combs, you get the standard (most often used) no 1, 2, 3 and 4 guards (3, 6, 10 and 13mm).

Now I have to decide if I really need a hair cut :o

Sorry just noticed its Currently not available on Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

just used Argos.

Checked out, charged my bank account. And got a strange email saying

Danny
    Just to say, your delivery is all booked

We'll deliver it to your address.

The following item(s) were not purchased
    Philips HC5632/13 Hair Clipper 921/7461 Out of stock

So I just spent 60 quid and not sure if I bought anything.

No one answers the phone.

Avoid Argos. Website is a clusterfeck

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Max H

ordered mine from Babyliss UK last Thursday. Arrived via DPD today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

just used Argos.

Checked out, charged my bank account. And got a strange email saying

Danny
    Just to say, your delivery is all booked

We'll deliver it to your address.

The following item(s) were not purchased
    Philips HC5632/13 Hair Clipper 921/7461 Out of stock

So I just spent 60 quid and not sure if I bought anything.

No one answers the phone.

Avoid Argos. Website is a clusterfeck

On the items it usually says not available for home delivery or store collection

Is there update on your Babyliss account? I have ordered Super Clipper also from Babyliss UK on Sunday and it says "being processed"
    Max H wrote: »
    ordered mine from Babyliss UK last Thursday. Arrived via DPD today.

Where can ye buy scissors and combs
    in Ireland these days?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

in Ireland these days?

Given the lockdown, probably only a larger supermarket now or maybe Dealz.

Ordered a set of clippers from powercity on Saturday, due for delivery tomorrow.

Amazon still have some but not the cheaper ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

in Ireland these days?

I got scissors off eBay. Guy was based in Dublin so received next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I ordered a Wahl hair clipper direct from the Wahl UK website last night. Although their website states that it may take up to 14 days for it to be shipped, I got a dispatch email this afternoon so happy days.

Wahl only ship to the UK so mine is coming via Parcel Motel.

I got scissors off eBay. Guy was based in Dublin so received next day.

Any chance of a link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

Advertisement