Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post driver

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Just searched donedeal for any second hand drivers, could'nt find much, it's polluted with Malone drivers, everyone and his dog seems to be selling them, i'm still skeptical how good they would drive stakes in rocky ground.
    My thinking is i might buy one with a rock spike, buy once and all that.

They all look similar enough to me, found a Bryce on youtube which looks the business but i'd imagine they are well out of my price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭buffalobilly

Just searched donedeal for any second hand drivers, could'nt find much, it's polluted with Malone drivers, everyone and his dog seems to be selling them, i'm still skeptical how good they would drive stakes in rocky ground.
    My thinking is i might buy one with a rock spike, buy once and all that.

They all look similar enough to me, found a Bryce on youtube which looks the business but i'd imagine they are well out of my price range.

have a malone one here good enough postdriver
    for the money im thinking one with rock
    spike would set you back a lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Could you use a homemade spike with the likes of the standard Malone driver? How do you find it for sinking stakes into rocky ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

Could you use a homemade spike with the likes of the standard Malone driver? How do you find it for sinking stakes into rocky ground?

Won't work; tips of stakes just flatten out and eventually you'd splinter the whole stake. Don't think any post driver will drive stakes into rocky ground, you'd need a rock breaker. Malone post drivers are as good as any, and all are in or around the same price new. Hard to acquire second-hand as lads just don't sell them. A machinery auction might be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭mayota

MfMan wrote: »
    Won't work; tips of stakes just flatten out and eventually you'd splinter the whole stake. Don't think any post driver will drive stakes into rocky ground, you'd need a rock breaker. Malone post drivers are as good as any, and all are in or around the same price new. Hard to acquire second-hand as lads just don't sell them. A machinery auction might be your best bet.

I think what Super was asking was if a homemade spike could be used. I was thinking of making a spike from a 4” piston off a digger ram.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Pod123

MF290 wrote: »
    Did anyone ever price a cross? Was impressed with one I used before. They're on chains rather than a ram. Good heavy weight on them and can be worked off the front of a telehandler too.
    There don't seem to be many second hands out there though.

Had a 2 cross post drivers
    The second one had two lugs on the chain so weight was lifted twice when chain went around once.
    Very well made.
    I think with any post driver it’s worth having the hydraulic top link and a ram on the side tilt.
    Only thing with cross was to replace the key in the shaft of the hydraulic pump. I used it on contract work so it got well tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭9935452

We have a malone and she drives stakes into rocky ground.
    The trick is to use a crowbar to start the hole. Once the point has somewhere to go it will push the rocks to the side.
    I was sent into ground that 30 ton track machines were failing to push stakes into the ground and got on grand.
    No crowbar and it was snapping 6 inch stakes

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Waternotsoda

9935452 wrote: »
    We have a malone and she drives stakes into rocky ground.
    The trick is to use a crowbar to start the hole. Once the point has somewhere to go it will push the rocks to the side.
    I was sent into ground that 30 ton track machines were failing to push stakes into the ground and got on grand.
    No crowbar and it was snapping 6 inch stakes

How did you get the crow bar back out?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

How did you get the crow bar back out?

You use the crow bar by hand to find a place you can wedge it into and slightly desperate rocks apart. Then you drive your stake

Now and again you will hit.plate rock where there is no gaps. You can do nothing there. If you have a machine with a rock breaker on it you can use the rock breaker to punch holes.in the such rock

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I think you should use a straight bar to locate all places to drive stakes. Nothing worst than having a stake driven down 1/2 way and then hitting a rock.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭davidk1394

What weight is in the hammer of a Malone stake driver ? Thinking of buying a new stake driver between myself and a friend.

davidk1394 wrote: »
    What weight is in the hammer of a Malone stake driver ? Thinking of buying a new stake driver between myself and a friend.

300Kg or thereabouts I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭davidk1394

300Kg or thereabouts I think

What do you make of the malone stake driver ? Any other brands you'd suggest, vector, major or another make ?

What do you make of the malone stake driver ? Any other brands you'd suggest, vector, major or another make ?

Malone seems sturdy enough, they've sold a lot so it must be some good. I can't compare it to others as I've never used them, but they, Major, Belmac all seem of a muchness. The safety cage is a bit of a nuisance when driving stakes near bushes or ditches, they can get caught in protruding branches, but are necessary I suppose. IEP also make drivers, but don't have this cage as far as I can see, I thought they were compulsory. Vector are a good make too but fancier I'd say and more geared towards contractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭hopeso

I've a Malone here too. Mine is just the standard, without the ability to tilt, but it gets away most of the time. I'd say the Malone would be no better or no worse than anything else in that price bracket. They'd just be a simple low spec driver. I find it very good to drive posts. Even in solid ground, you can tap away for as long as you want and you won't damage the post because you aren't hitting the top of the post directly. There's a hat that sits on the post, and takes the battering from the hammer. In soft ground I found that just lowering the weight onto the post with no hammering at all was enough. It is quite easy to drive one too far in if you're not careful sometimes. They're 100 times better than a machine for driving posts in most situations. I find that the machine rares up if you hit solid ground driving a post, while you can keep tapping away with the driver. The way I looked at it when I bought it was that there's little or nothing to go wrong with them, and I'd still have it 20 years later....I must have it about 13 or 14 years now. The safety cage on the new ones looks like it could be awkward to work with....but I suppose it can be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

hopeso wrote: »
    I've a Malone here too. Mine is just the standard, without the ability to tilt, but it gets away most of the time. I'd say the Malone would be no better or no worse than anything else in that price bracket. They'd just be a simple low spec driver. I find it very good to drive posts. Even in solid ground, you can tap away for as long as you want and you won't damage the post because you aren't hitting the top of the post directly. There's a hat that sits on the post, and takes the battering from the hammer. In soft ground I found that just lowering the weight onto the post with no hammering at all was enough. It is quite easy to drive one too far in if you're not careful sometimes. They're 100 times better than a machine for driving posts in most situations. I find that the machine rares up if you hit solid ground driving a post, while you can keep tapping away with the driver. The way I looked at it when I bought it was that there's little or nothing to go wrong with them, and I'd still have it 20 years later....I must have it about 13 or 14 years now. The safety cage on the new ones looks like it could be awkward to work with....but I suppose it can be removed.

Most lads fire that cage away

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

Reggie. wrote: »
    Most lads fire that cage away

had to take safety cage off my major one, death trap of a yoke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Amazing how popular that post malone has gotten lately, everywhere now, especially amongst the young crowd...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Anyone use these attachments on their track diggers to do the posts:
    https://www.donedeal.co.uk/tractors-for-sale/post-banger/23928074

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭fastrac94

Amazing how popular that post malone has gotten lately, everywhere now, especially amongst the young crowd...

Don't know would Post Malone be much kop driving stakes but a malone post driver is a great tool.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭hopeso

It might sound obvious, but anyone using a Malone (or similar) post driver, don't forget to remove the two parking stand legs before use..... I know a man who bought on a few years ago. He claimed it was a complete waste of time, because he couldn't get near enough to the ditch with the two legs sticking out the back of it.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

It might sound obvious, but anyone using a Malone (or similar) post driver, don't forget to remove the two parking stand legs before use..... I know a man who bought on a few years ago. He claimed it was a complete waste of time, because he couldn't get near enough to the ditch with the two legs sticking out the back of it.....:rolleyes:
    Theres always one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I've a standard vector from years ago too, I put a spool valve on it myself so i could control it from the ground and lately I have the option of putting it on teh loader, that's a huge help for awkward corners, banks and across dykes

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭renandstimpy

I'm looking at getting a new post driver .
    I think I've it narrowed down to the pull down ram type to rise weight as opposed to the pull up type like molones.
    I've used a malone belong to neighbour and have cut more wire on an existing fence while replacing stakes especially if fence has fell out a small bit where stakes have broken .
    I find as frame comes down it cuts the top line of wire even with been carefull .
    I cant see any way around it .
    I like the rainbow post driver .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 westmeath  man

I bought a malone side tilt and hydraulic top link 3700 euros it is a very heavy robust machine very happy with the purchase .Vector is 700 more expensive and I can't see why. My money is going on the malone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

A few contractors near here use these for putting in posts. Seems to be a good job.

Although I think they should have a ring or cross to clasp the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭straight

3300 euro

https://www.donedeal.ie/fencingequipment-for-sale/post-drivers/31066899

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ruwithme

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Personally don't like the idea of a digger driving posts in hard to firm ground, which can often be the case at the back of a ditch, winter or summer. Too much room for movement on the post causing cracking when attempting to hammer.

Besides, diggers are way too expensive per hour hire , to be idling around hammering in posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭straight

I see those yellow MB engineering post drivers around a bit. Seem a grand job too.

Advertisement