Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alternative to Google Nest Smoke Alarm?

• 02-04-2020 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭

I bought one of these about two years ago and it seems that there is built in obsolescence into it with new batteries dying weeks after it hits around two years old. There are lot of threads about it on the google support forums which inevitably just get closed with no resolution , for example - https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/11464277?hl=en

I'm not prepared to waste around €100 on a smoke detector that only practically lasts two years no matter how fancy. I will miss the "pathlight" feature though.

Does anyone know of an alternative that has something similar to pathlight?
    I have a Philips hue light in the hallway, is there a way of having that come on automatically for night time toilet trips alternatively, preferably not too brightly?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭eusap

for a pathlight i use a hue motion sensor and the a Hue Ambience bulb, the sensor triggers the lowest setting on the bulb

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

eusap wrote: »
    for a pathlight i use a hue motion sensor and the a Hue Ambience bulb, the sensor triggers the lowest setting on the bulb

Sounds perfect, didn't realise there was a Philips motion sensor, off to Amazon I go ! :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well you can replace the batteries, so it isn't like the smoke detector itself only lasts two years! Replacing batteries every two years is not ideal, but hardly the end of the world. It is the same for most smart home wireless sensors unfortunately. Though I do see 7 and 10 years becoming more frequent in low power devices with new zigbee chipsets.

Having researched different smoke alarms, the safety features of this alarm are WAY above any other smoke alarm and well worth the inconvenience of having to replace batteries every two years.

Safety features as in the ability to detect both fast and slow burning fires (as well as carbon monoxide), most other alarms only detect one type of fire, not both. Add to that the interconnectivity and the self testing features, IMO well worth it.

bk wrote: »
    Well you can replace the batteries, so it isn't like the smoke detector itself only lasts two years! Replacing batteries every two years is not ideal, but hardly the end of the world. It is the same for most smart home wireless sensors unfortunately. Though I do see 7 and 10 years becoming more frequent in low power devices with new zigbee chipsets.

Having researched different smoke alarms, the safety features of this alarm are WAY above any other smoke alarm and well worth the inconvenience of having to replace batteries every two years.

Safety features as in the ability to detect both fast and slow burning fires (as well as carbon monoxide), most other alarms only detect one type of fire, not both. Add to that the interconnectivity and the self testing features, IMO well worth it.

Hi bk, i think you misunderstood me, after two years (or more accurately 22 months for me) the batteries only last a few weeks at best, even new ones. Changing them gets old very quickly. Clearly something is wrong with the sensor that is eating the batteries (for many many people, see the link I provided in the OP with 411 replies) or its simply built in obsolescence.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Supercell wrote: »
    Hi bk, i think you misunderstood me, after two years (or more accurately 22 months for me) the batteries only last a few weeks at best, even new ones. Changing them gets old very quickly. Clearly something is wrong with the sensor that is eating the batteries (for many many people, see the link I provided in the OP with 411 replies) or its simply built in obsolescence.

Ah, yes, apologies, yes that would be a very serious issue! Does that also occur if you use the Energizer Lithium batteries that they recommend?

A lot of cheap alkaline batteries that people use in toys etc. are complete trash and have feck all life IME. Those Energizer Lihium ones are excellent by comparison, I use them myself for flash lamps when hiking. I wouldn't trust cheaper batteries for anything safety oriented like smoke alarms, etc.

• Advertisement

Ah, looks like folks are also having the same issues with the Lithium ones, eckk. I've got two Nest Protects, haven't experienced this issue, love them and hope I don't.

BTW I've pathlight turned off and brightness set to low, that might make a difference to battery drain.

I don't need pathlight as I use eusap's solution too. I've Hue bulbs that are triggered by motion sensor, which is set to very dim brightness at night.

Maybe it was a particular batch or motherboard in these that has this issue?, anyhow it's enough to put me off buying again.
    I have ordered the Hue sensor which looks brillo with its automated scenes as well as a couple of FireAngel ST-623ER Smoke Alarm Plus Light from Amazon. I already have separate carbon monoxide detectors installed.

Maybe it was a particular batch or motherboard in these that has this issue?, anyhow it's enough to put me off buying again.
    I have ordered the Hue sensor which looks brillo with its automated scenes as well as a couple of FireAngel ST-623ER Smoke Alarm Plus Light from Amazon. I already have separate carbon monoxide detectors installed.

Hopefully and I agree I was thinking of getting another one or two. But will hold off now until I see if they resolve this issue.

Yes, these FireAngel alarms look good in terms of also detecting both fast and slow burning fires. I actually have two of these type of Fireangel alarms, an older version. Unfortunately there were big issues with them with the battery running out after just one to two years, rather then the rated 10 years. They have had to do a massive recall and I had to return them, big pain. Hopefully this newer model is better.

Ironically that was why I was happy with Nest, the replaceable battery rather then built in battery!!

P.S. I've seen Fireangel have also moved to replaceable batteries after their initial issues.

bk wrote: »
    H Unfortunately there were big issues with them with the battery running out after just one to two years, rather then the rated 10 years. They have had to do a massive recall and I had to return them, big pain. Hopefully this newer model is better.

Ironically that was why I was happy with Nest, the replaceable battery rather then built in battery!!

P.S. I've seen Fireangel have also moved to replaceable batteries after their initial issues.

Thanks, yes I saw comments on Amazon complaining about that, that why I opted for the ones with removable AA batteries which allegedly last 5 years though anything over a year would be acceptable to me, they also have the emergency led too which swung it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

When I installed my Nest Hello doorbell my Nest smoke detectors disconnected from the app and will not reconnect. Very frustrating! I know others had the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭ted1

This one is in since Nov 2016 and the battle is fine.

Are you replacing with the correct battery type ?
    Rather than blame the design saying it’s intentional draining the battery. I’d hazard a guess and say that’s a bug in the software or hardware.

ted1 wrote: »
    This one is in since Nov 2016 and the battle is fine.

Are you replacing with the correct battery type ?
    Rather than blame the design saying it’s intentional draining the battery. I’d hazard a guess and say that’s a bug in the software or hardware.

Hi ted1 , you will have version 1 of the smoke detector, version two (the one with the issue) is a completely different beast with a redesigned board and sensors.

I'd agree that its either a faulty sensor that is causing multiple retries to get a reading or a software /firmware bug. The timing seems coincidental that it seems to align with warranty expiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi ted1 , you will have version 1 of the smoke detector, version two (the one with the issue) is a completely different beast with a redesigned board and sensors.

I'd agree that its either a faulty sensor that is causing multiple retries to get a reading or a software /firmware bug. The timing seems coincidental that it seems to align with warranty expiration.

Nope it’s a gen 2 not a gen 1. I have second one I got last year. Gen 1 start the serial number with 05 and are more square.

Gen 2 was released in late 2015

Also says model topaz 2.7

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9232605?hl=en

So in summary I’m not buying the built in obsolescence.

The sensor does have a a 10 year life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

ted1 wrote: »
    The sensor does have a a 10 year life

Think that's pretty standard for smoke alarms though? Believe they all use a small amount of a slightly radioactive substance so subject to decay.

Advertisement