Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin - BusConnects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Last Stop wrote: »
    So what is the red line being shown running alongside the platform. The exact same colour as the cycle lane?

It's not the exact same colour as the cycle lane, you can see that at the bottom of my screenshot where it crosses the actual cycling lane:

jZhPUd6.png

It's also clearly not the size of a cycling lane. It's just a stroke on the fill around the Luas tracks. Poorly chosen colour perhaps, but pretty obvious when you're looking at the actual PDF.

Also, just logically speaking, why would they bother adding a cycle lane there in such a disruptive location when the same movements can be easily completed using the other cycle lanes?

Pretty amateur mistake to make.

It's okay, we've all done it before, no need to blame yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The best thing to do here is CPO the corner of the Guinness yard, shift the road eastward and create a bay for buses coming from SJRW to pull in immediately east of the Luas platform. Leave one way traffic between the Luas and Heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's not the exact same colour as the cycle lane, you can see that at the bottom of my screenshot where it crosses the actual cycling lane:

jZhPUd6.png

It's also clearly not the size of a cycling lane. It's just a stroke on the fill around the Luas tracks. Poorly chosen colour perhaps, but pretty obvious when you're looking at the actual PDF.

Also, just logically speaking, why would they bother adding a cycle lane there in such a disruptive location when the same movements can be easily completed using the other cycle lanes?

It’s even less obvious when looking at the PDF at full scale. It’s almost identical in colour.
    I obviously wasn’t the only one to assume it was a cycle lane either

It’s even less obvious when looking at the PDF at full scale. It’s almost identical in colour.

It doesn't matter. Get over it. Feel free to have the last word on it, like you always do.

• Advertisement

You really just can't hold your hands up and admit you got it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

You really just can’t admit that Busconnects got it wrong with a drafting error?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

people need to make more use of Boards' "ignore" function.

image.png

Interestingly the same coloured line appears on the other side of the Luas tracks as well, it just had a black line on top of it. Seems intentional rather than an error.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Interestingly the same coloured line appears on the other side of the Luas tracks as well, it just had a black line on top of it. Seems intentional rather than an error.

Yeah, intentional, but as I said, a poor colour choice, but otherwise very much obvious if you are looking at the real PDF and not just relying on third-hand screenshots.

• Advertisement

I see that they are proposing to shift the Scherzer bridges either side and put a new full width road bridge in between.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can the squabbles stop please.

I see that they are proposing to shift the Scherzer bridges either side and put a new full width road bridge in between.

I'm curious as to the logistics of this, how they can do it while retaining access.

they show a 2-way cycle lane all the way down to the Beckett bridge, but there's no way there's space for a cycle lane and footpath where the Dublin Docklands office building is.

loyatemu wrote: »
    they show a 2-way cycle lane all the way down to the Beckett bridge, but there's no way there's space for a cycle lane and footpath where the Dublin Docklands office building is.

That building is to be demolished to make way for the white water rafting course building which I assume will be a bit narrower. The road also looks like it will be a bit narrower.

That building is to be demolished to make way for the white water rafting course building which I assume will be a bit narrower. The road also looks like it will be a bit narrower.

The rafting centre is in Georges Dock, the Docklands office building is on the river side of the quays here: https://goo.gl/maps/a6LuCjLaN4c1s6id8

I haven't heard of any plans to demolish it though as the DDDA is long gone, I'm not sure what it's now used for (extra offices for the council I guess, and somewhere for kids to jump off into the river).

terrrible cycle-lane routing here at UCD:

image.png

The rafting centre is in Georges Dock, the Docklands office building is on the river side of the quays here: https://goo.gl/maps/a6LuCjLaN4c1s6id8

I haven't heard of any plans to demolish it though as the DDDA is long gone, I'm not sure what it's now used for (extra offices for the council I guess, and somewhere for kids to jump off into the river).

No the white water rafting centre plans include the demolition of those DDDA buildings, as seen here:

?width=630&version=4907141

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Will do.

I'm slowly making my way through each one. Liffey Valley and Ballyfermot currently on the go.

What I find interesting is how they managed to justify closing the O'Hogan Road/Ballyfermot Road junction but somehow are keeping the The Oval/Lucan Road junction open. And not only that, they are proposing a bus only right turn from the Lucan Road to Mill Lane (at the Apple Green garage). I can see some advantage to that in a future routing from the Old Lucan Road but the Oval is a serious pinch-point.

I've been reading the maps and the info and am a bit confused about the Oval junction, wonder if you know more.

Seems to me that there will a right turn bus only from R148 to the Old Lucan Road serving Stewarts and Palmerstown Village. There are currently no buses serving the village apart from the 18 which does not use R148 anyway. But I guess they are going to get maybe the local no.26 to serve the village or something.

It's not clear, but I am thinking the the current North side of the Oval/Applegreen/R148 junction will have buses turning left inbound onto the Chapelizod by pass.

I presume this means that car traffic will no longer be able to use the Northside of the junction if it is to be bus only. Can see Kennelsfort Junction rammed as a result, but hey ho.

This is the Lucan route 06.

At the R148 signalised junction with the Old Lucan Road/the Oval a new westbound, bus only, right turn lane is provided on the R148 to facilitate bus services serving Palmerstown Village. An additional strip of land acquisition will be required from the western edge of the petrol filling station at this location to accommodate this new bus movement which was not included in the EPR. In addition, new bus stops are provided on the Old Lucan Road to serve Mill Lane/Stewarts Hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I've been reading the maps and the info and am a bit confused about the Oval junction, wonder if you know more.

Seems to me that there will a right turn bus only from R148 to the Old Lucan Road serving Stewarts and Palmerstown Village. There are currently no buses serving the village apart from the 18 which does not use R148 anyway. But I guess they are going to get maybe the local no.26 to serve the village or something.

It's not clear, but I am thinking the the current North side of the Oval/Applegreen/R148 junction will have buses turning left inbound onto the Chapelizod by pass.

I presume this means that car traffic will no longer be able to use the Northside of the junction if it is to be bus only. Can see Kennelsfort Junction rammed as a result, but hey ho.

This is the Lucan route 06.

At the R148 signalised junction with the Old Lucan Road/the Oval a new westbound, bus only, right turn lane is provided on the R148 to facilitate bus services serving Palmerstown Village. An additional strip of land acquisition will be required from the western edge of the petrol filling station at this location to accommodate this new bus movement which was not included in the EPR. In addition, new bus stops are provided on the Old Lucan Road to serve Mill Lane/Stewarts Hospital

Here's an image of the plan for the Oval junction:
    No indication as to what bus will use the Village now but as you say, it would make sense for the 26 to now use this section of Mill Lane and continue through the village and turn left up the Kennelsfort Road (If it is to continue its current routing).

Always remember that the lands at the Kennelsfort junction exist as they do as a freeflow junction was accommodated for in its original construction.

504700.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

You could remove the trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 William Legrande

They want to rip the arse out of Shankill village and there's be a few votes there for SF

The new plans for Shankill don't look as vandalistic as before, at least at first sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

terrrible cycle-lane routing here at UCD:

image.png

At least there is a yield for the bus-lane to the cycle lane.

spacetweek wrote: »
    You could remove the trees.

still wouldn't be enough space but as others have pointed out that building is due to be replaced by a (presumably) narrower one.
    The new plans for Shankill don't look as vandalistic as before, at least at first sight.

they've basically given up on any bus or cycle priority in Shankill Village. On street parking remains though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

How satisfying is this to watch? Imagine having this in Dublin? I just can't see this ever happening here, especially with all the taxis. I think I need some time alone with this video...

https://twitter.com/HorneJerome/status/1235568774729908226

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Due to Covid-19, this will now have another consultation later this year. As disappointing as this is, it's not that surprising, and is probably the right thing to do. A consultation is a bit pointless if no one can participate.

https://twitter.com/BusConnects/status/1243212328889397248

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Bsharp

Alkers wrote: »
    At least there is a yield for the bus-lane to the cycle lane.

For the section along UCD boundary this has been the source of much debate and doubt it's finalised. Talk of a separate cycle only signal at the junction to assist with priority between cyclists and buses from a stop start. Send in recommendations on design as all to play for.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Pity they can't do an overnight drop of the full network redesign at the moment. Lots of people will be phasing back into work etc so there would be a more gradual adjustment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

tom1ie wrote: »
    One question I have about these orbitals:
    Will there be continuous bus lanes/ bus priority on these routes and if so how long before this infrastructure is in place to service the new orbitals.
    Thanks.

Apologies only seen the mid note after I posted.
    Off to the bus connects forum with me!!

To answer this question posted in the Metrolink thread, at the moment the only infrastructure planned is on the radial routes to/from the city centre.

Any infrastructure on the orbital routes will follow after the radial routes are completed.

To be fair some of the roads served by the planned outer orbital routes do already have some bus priority measures in place, but on many of the inner routes, the notion of continuous bus lanes is fanciful to say the least given the lack of available space.

While the delivery of the additional orbital routes is long overdue, I’d have serious concerns about how effective the likes of the O, S2 and S4 can be if they’re likely to be snarled up in the diverted traffic from the radial corridors, given that those routes are significantly down the pecking order for bus priority infrastructure.

Advertisement