Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BRANDS HATCH STYLED RACE TRACK FOR THE WEST OF IRELAND?

• 20-03-2020 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi everyone ..i dont know where i could add this too but its more a question to the race community in ireland and i suppose the uk and all of europe too....

There is a few of us in talks about funding a track to be built 3 miles outside Galway City ...there is nothing of the like in ireland at the moment , personally i dont count the track in dublin a real decent track at all ...if anything its ludicrous and dangerous for what we have in mind...

we are thinking of building a track in area well known just a couple of miles from the city centre.. the aim would be something to the spec of brands hatch or donnignton in the uk to host moytorcycle and car events thoughout the year, with the aim to bring some serious racing to the west of ireland but also to the country as a whole...chasing some magir events that happen throughout the uk ..

so what im asking is would there be much interest in the racing and rallying communities in ireland for something of this nature ..the overall aim is to grow to an international racetrack events handler...that host all sorts of competition throughout the year plus all the usual stuff race schools etc etc, racing licences , races with motorcycles and all types of vehicles ...at the moment the site thats been considered os certainly large enough to track it and put in some serious facilities to go with it...

all opinions welcome as this is just putting it out there to see what kinda interest would there be ...

Thanks for your time

G

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I think the costs behind it would be prohibited. When you say "a few of us" I assume you are all millionaires of some sort? That is the kind of money you will be looking at...

Would be great to have the track of course. I think we could have more, but costs are prohibitive and insurance etc would be another problem

Also, the costs of permits, inspections, engineering, staff, etc all have to come into play. You would need a good strong annual revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ger808

Thanks Antodeco for your reply excuse my reply in advance im writimg this on a small screen phone and not the laptop which would of been the preferred route of doing things so appologise for the typos and auto correct thats always wrong in this damn phone ,

So without going too deep into peoples financial standings, the few that are interested are in business many years and have invested in many different scheme's , business's & projects of all shapes and sizes, ranging from several hundred thousand to several hundred million between some of the interested parties we have approach thus far unfortunately there are alot of things i cant really discuss with you here at the moment but the things i can share with you here i will , so like i said already this is not just a thought of one person but many you can call it a group if you may like, so what i can tell you in realtion to your answer to me is and also to ( Lightning ) That as a group we have had some quotes for just the track alone and the quotes are really varying from just slightly over 12 million up to 35 million euros. ..now if you have a think about that sum that is just for starters that is just for the grounds work and the laying of track, i can also tell you both and i mentioned this in the first post there is a site in mind ..which already has some substantial modern sized buildings of all shapes and sizes ,that would certainly be kept maintained and refitted for General Area, Offices , Bar /Restaurant and the many other usual spaces needed at a race track for the running of it but there are also options like garaging , storage , coffee shops , bathroom & shower facility, class room styled areas for the likes of navigation, rally licences and briefing rooms , Marshall areas. so thats the idea of using up the Largest more modern of buildings there at the moment , on site there are several other very large building spaces left too that can be still used for all sorts of other things you would see at some of the more professional tracks, we have been talking about a fire fighting and ambulance crew department for race days and larger events . There is still so much to do regarding planning and pricing on different areas for example things like stands for seating standing etc ...what i can tell you is the site in question is perfect for the project regarding distance to the city and the already routes availble to the area, its extremely accessible to find even if you had no gps which is always a great thing..the business it would/could generate Galway City and County alone has to be a point that will be used when fighting for planning & licencing for the track itself with the city council and planning authorities, im sure there would me many approvers as its not actually in a so called residential area either so noise polution wont be an issue with the planning phase, im sure government and the Ida would loom at aomethig like this as favorible regarding bring job and employment ro the city from all different phases of the project plus once built there would also be full amd part time staff all year round and then there is sporting Ireland and also Board Failte too, there the next bunch of steps we are been advised on anyways all this is still in its infancy , there is alot of work still left to do before a single foot is crossed into the site in question ..so in a nut shell lots and lots of research is still required before anything else happens ...full costings , planning , licensing etc etc...but the real question is ..if its built will the crowds come to use it ..also if its built the hosting of major events is another draw for the area..but could we get the interest to host some major international events there ..thats what were aimjmg to find out

thanks again for your time
    appologise for typos in advance

G

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Are we talking about Galway airport here or somewhere similar?

Either way, I think anyone building a race track in Ireland would have to do it for the love of the sport rather than to make money! You are very unlikely to make a profit from this kind of venture. Breaking even would be a more realistic goal. Government and local support might be difficult to get as it's not a very green sport.

Another option would be to build a multipurpose events and adventure centre to bring in extra revenue aside from motorsport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Youre wasting your time.I suggest reading about the track that was planned for Coalisland.And how can any person who knows anything about Motorsport think that an international standard racetrack in "Dublin" is dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

I'm fairly certain this is a wind up. After all, the man who owned the 'racetrack in Dublin' was an international businessman of repute, who understood motorsport as much as he understood finance.
    I met him a few times, and found him to be a gentleman who genuinely loved motorsport, and understood the pitfalls as regards 'making a profit' from owning a racetrack.
    Good luck with your venture.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Go and look up what happened to Rosegreen raceway in Tipperary. An English guy rocked up, bought some land close to it, put some horsies on his land, and then decided that the noise from the track was scaring his horsies. He then got the tracks activities severely restricted to the point that competitors used other tracks instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

How do you make a small fortune in motor-racing?

Start with a large one.
    You will not make money running a track.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I assume you are refering to the Indy circuit at Brands Hatch?

I cant see it being a runner although I wish it was. The motorsport market is too small here. Most Irish wont part with money to see Motorsport events in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

3 miles outside Galway City and noise won't be an issue? Not a chance you'd get PP.

There's just not a big enough fan base here anyway, not even close!

€35 million? I think you're a bit naive if you think you'd build the likes of Brands Hatch from greenfield for even twice that.

Advertisement