Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is There Anybody Out There ....?

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Glad you worked it out.
    I think log out and back in again rather than a full reboot might work ...... but not certain.

I set such things initially under

Configure your Computer - System
    1. Manage Localization for your system
    2. Manage Date and Time

That ensures that my whole system has the same settings.

I came across this today.
    It is worth the time reading it a few times to get the overall picture of Linux and Linux OS as he calls it (to others it might be GNU/Linux).

Anyway, do have a read, it should be helpful (besides the Ubuntu bias creeping in near the end ;))

https://itsfoss.com/what-is-linux/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Stigura

Love it!

And, I've only read the first question it poses! :D But, that was, basically, the very first question I was asked, the moment I 'came out' as a Linux convert!

I'll definitely be looking into that one, John, Seriously! Looking forward to it.

Only, just to let ye know; Something's come up that will, doubtless, have me distracted. I know, for a fact, I'm about to have to read through ~ and concentrate on ~ a shed load of unrelated stuff.

But, doesn't that, alone, just demonstrate how far ye've brought me?!

I can now, confidently, say like; " Excuse me, Master Po. Just got to check out this delivery of rice paper ~ what ever we want That for ....! Back presently. " :D

:D
    I hope it answers a few questions ...... and will likely raise even more

Brilliant piece, John! The absolute iron is that most of the people I get to talk to, in real life, are those that drive me to and from town! So, obviously, sat there in a motor? Ones mind tends to seek out comparisons such as Diesel / Petrol. Ford / Skoda. And so on. Just like ye man there.

I've always tried to express ~ to my mate, Tom, who's never owned a computer ~ " 7 " as the engine. Maybe I should just show him that break down :D

• Advertisement

I'm getting bored, now :( It's just like it ever was, on 7. I'm just bimbling through my days, on line. Absolutely no dramas. No bugger to talk to either!

One thing I'm curious about, John? This (Dolphin) gives us the option between " Delete " and " Move To Trash " :confused:

What's that all about, please? If I want it gone / Don't need it any more, I Delete it, surely? Why would I choose to chuck it into a bin, only to have it sit there, till I make the physical effort to go and Delete the stuff that's in that bin?

Doesn't make sense.

Stigura wrote: »
    I'm getting bored, now :( It's just like it ever was, on 7. I'm just bimbling through my days, on line. Absolutely no dramas. No bugger to talk to either!

One thing I'm curious about, John? This (Dolphin) gives us the option between " Delete " and " Move To Trash " :confused:

What's that all about, please? If I want it gone / Don't need it any more, I Delete it, surely? Why would I choose to chuck it into a bin, only to have it sit there, till I make the physical effort to go and Delete the stuff that's in that bin?

Doesn't make sense.

Win users like the idea of a Wastebin/Trash/Whatever ....... it saves them from errors. :)

If you are sure then Delete is fine, and usually requires a confirmation.
    Dumping into the bin requires no confirmation as the files are recoverable.

So - use what suits YOU ...... Linux has both :D

Sing of the times when you find Linux boring :D:D:D

Okay, John; External disc thing's here. Plugged its USB in. Lights blinking on it. Instructions say an icon should appear, bottom right.

No icons. Went into System Settings / Removable Devices. No sign of it.

Any ideas, please :confused:

On the bottom right there is a group of icons.
    Hover the mouse pointer over each and you will get a tooltip with its name and some further data (usually)

Look for the icon that is called "Most Recent Device".

If you click this you get a list of PARTITIONS ...... not drives.

Exactly what is shown is dependent on how this utility is set up.

Forget it, John. Bloody thing's already back in its box. I've emailed the dodgy looking yahoo mail the card inside says. But, what's the point? It's a duffer.

Last thing shown on that icon is my wifi. I tried the drive in a couple of usb holes. No good. Got my camera out and plugged That into one of the same ports? Instantaneous bells and whistles.

I looked at my photo's. Saw the camera as listed in Removable Storage. Unplugged the camera and saw its listing vanish from RS.

Nothing wrong with Linux ~ or my understanding of it. Nothing wrong with the USB holes. Camera's always been good. This Drive's a dud.

• Advertisement

If you wanted to try fault finding then there are some things you can do.
    For instance, what if there is no information on the drive?
    No partitions for KDE to 'see'?

:confused: Why would there suddenly be problems with KDE? Anything else PAP / USB I have worked fine, seamlessly. I didn't have to do anything. Literally, just Plug and Play.

This thing's Plug and Play Dead :(

:confused: Why would there suddenly be problems with KDE? Anything else PAP / USB I have worked fine, seamlessly. I didn't have to do anything. Literally, just Plug and Play.

This thing's Plug and Play Dead :(

I never said something wrong with KDE.

I referred to 'the drive' ...... which is what I guessed you plugged in.
    That might have no formatting or partition table on it, but I have no idea as you gave no details about it.

:confused: Don't know what possible " Details " I could give.

Here ye go:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QS4RMB9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OK, did you have some CD or DVD in the drive?

If not, did you try inserting a disc?

Mm. Expecting to be up and running, I fed it my new Boss album. Light on the front blinked.

About the third time I plugged it in, I noticed an uncomfortable grinding whirr coming from the box. (I'll call the drive that now. Easier) Now, my heating is absolutely shot. I can't even gauge how loud / 'bad' that whirr was. But, it sure wasn't The Boss playing.

Anything else I can do / tell ye? Just let me know. But, I honestly just think I got unlucky and caught a duffer :(

It is difficult to tell at a distance.

When you inserted the disc, did you get a popup?

Did the disc get listed in the Device Notifier list?

As this was a commercial disc with protection, you should check if you have the required software installed to allow it to play.

You would probably get better info on the PCLOS forum, as I do not use optical discs except very rarely.

Short answer is, John; When ye put a new light bulb in and nothing happens? It's fair to assume it's a dud, yeah? This schit happens.

This box is specifically sold as good with Linux ~ that's why I bought this particular one. " No drama. " I was thinking.

No point in asking elsewhere. There's nothing wrong with my machine. There's nothing wrong with my OS. There's nothing wrong with a bunch of PAP, USB stuff that I've used for ever on this set up. Okay? We have that established.

Then, I receive this box. My set up doesn't see it. Box makes a noise none of us like to associate with a disc player. Ipso facto; It's a dud. It got past quality control and I got Damned unlucky. (These people have a 99% Positive for 12 months! Boy, was I unlucky!)

We can't fix broken electronics. I can't send it back, because I don't have a printer. But, happily; I have a Blog and a shot gun. My mates seem to love it, when I take some worthless piece of crap out. Put it up against the wall .....

I'm out of pocket by a score. Not having a DD bothers me a Lot more :( Not a lot we can do about that. I'll just suck it up. Thanks for trying to help.

You are making an assumption that Linux without the correct drivers/software can read a disc you insert.

I can tell you it cannot, nor can any other OS read commercial and protected optical discs without the required software.

Up to you after that.

:rolleyes: No, John. I'm reading what's printed on the back of the cardboard box the thing comes in.

" * No need to install the driver program, support plug and play "

Now, No Where have I even so much as Hinted that:

1. Linux is at fault.

2. You, or I are stupid.

3. The fault lies anywhere but with vile bad luck, at the factory in China.

4. There is anything any power known to us can do to repair an intrinsically faulty piece of micro electronic engineering.

5. Growly, whirring sounds are Never good, in Any disc drive. This one came f**ked. Factory f**ked. Schit happens. I'm over it :)

Now, I'm leaving the subject there. Because there's nothing else to say.

Have a great evening, John.

• Advertisement

Had a laugh, today, John.

Told a girl I know, in town, how I've dropped 'doze and gone over to Linux. She was impressed and asked what it's like. I told her.

Then, I said; " There's one thing, Fiona. Ye know, when ye shut down 'doze? Ye get that little " Bing, Bing, Bing, Bong! " jingle? "

" Well, when mine shuts down now, it just hits this single chord: " Dong ..... " "

I then suggested, once heard, it soon became impossible Not to associate that one note with the following ~ and I hummed her Eight notes / chords.

" Rrrrrrr! " She said. " Where Does that come from?! "

" Elton John. " I told her. " 'Song For Guy'. First note. And I've had that bloody number stuck in my head for a week now!!! "

Check it out, John. Am I not right?!

Very close ;)

You can probably change that to maybe play the whole song if you wish !!!!!!!

:D:D

OK, it has been two weeks since you were getting bored with this Linux stuff.

Are you still using it or maybe moved back to Win or on to BSD?

Have you been bitten by the bug of alternative operating systems?

Nosey people want to know :D

Alright, John? :D Sorry. I was on the phone there. One of my more epic chats :P

Absolutely still on KDE. What else could I be on?! (Totally rhetorical question!)

Good as gold. Couple of glitches; I remember finding a record of that disc drive, one time? Now more convinced I'm missing something :confused: What ever. And, I'd re lost sound on Telegram, the next day. Life sucks. 10 was so much worse!

I've actually learned to wind the volume down now, before I log off? Because, the bloody start up sound, on this, is so jarring and gratey! Don't need That, first thing! :D

But, yeah; For my, limited, purposes? Hardly any difference. Certainly no regrets! :)

Good to read you have no regrets, and are working your way through the differences as you meet them. ;)
    I remember finding a record of that disc drive
    I reckon this is the optical drive?
    I think it would be useful for you to post a help thread on the PCLOS forum about your CD drive.
    Optical drives and media (CD/DVD) are fast fading on desktops.
    Quite a lot of laptops and PCs these days do not even have optical drives included.
    So, there might well be something missing in the default installation, to allow you to make full use of the CD/DVD, that someone who also uses optical media could help with.

No harm in asking anyway :)

Cheers, John. Just read ye post, again. See what ye saying now :)

I'll post on there, probably tomorrow. Only, I pulled an all nighter, to reset my totally wrecked body clock. And, right now, I'm practically hallucinating! :D

Advertisement