Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Dennis ** Please read Mod Note in OP**

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The wind has eased at last; background sound now. The tide is roaring at the back here now. Been out with a torch seeking littlest cat who had been awol over 24 hours and is scared in gales. Bitterly cold but mission achieved. Lost too many critters in storms in the North Sea .

Dennis is in retreat. But a loud deluge hitting the roof so he is not finished with us yet...

Sounds like the worst wind we have had for a while on the nw coast. Very sustained aswell.
    Seems alot stronger than Ciara.

In a different class altogether; a real professional , Dennis. Aggressively masculine. Fanatical.

and nearing 7 am and a vicious hailstorm.

This is like the three day storms we were subjected to in my decade in the North Sea. The last 2 here have been thus and I do not remember these in my previous nearly 20 years in Ireland, on the west coast or in the mountains near the coast.

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Would seriously pay to spend the night there during a storm.

The videos show that. They close all doors and windows tight and sit it out. The noise is incredible.
    They explained why there are always three on duty. If two and one died, the other could be accused of murder, happened once that one died innocently and the survivor had to tie the body to the outside railings, After that there were three .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

A loss of airspeed (the speed of the air flowing over the wings) means a loss of lift, so a sudden drop in altitude. With just 50 ft left to the tarmac you don't want that drop to be too much. Lift is proportional to airspeed squared, so a small decrease has a bigger effect. A drop of 20 knots with an approach airspeed of around 140 knots is a loss of 14% of airspeed, so a 30% loss of lift. However, at that height the plane is what's called ground-effect, which will slightly offset the drop.

I miscalculated the loss in lift. It's actually only 12%, not 30%. Still enough to be a problem at 50 ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

Graces7 wrote: »
    No; now there is one for tomorrow; thank you!

The one I watched is almost 2 hours, simply " Irish Lighthouses" by Carol Minchew. Cannot post links..

That specific episode (2) shows how Fastnet was built back around 1900. It's amazing to see how they did it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

England and Wales got hit hard with flooding over the weekend. Towns and villages inundated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

watlantic wrote: »

Well at least there shouldn`t be any repeat of the pollution damage caused when the Kowloon Bridge ran aground in 1986. It may end up breaking up and sinking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

England and Wales got hit hard with flooding over the weekend. Towns and villages inundated.

We dodged a bullet if you look back at the way the rain clouds moved south of us and hit Wales and England
    A little bit further north and that would have been us :eek:

Steve F wrote: »
    We dodged a bullet if you look back at the way the rain clouds moved south of us and hit Wales and England
    A little bit further north and that would have been us :eek:

Welsh topography has a lot to do with it, narrow valleys where the water has nowhere to go.

Welsh topography has a lot to do with it, narrow valleys where the water has nowhere to go.

Do any of you remember the Aberfan disaster back in 1966? A colliery spoil tip, undermined by heavy rain, and built on a spring, slid atop a school and a village killing 116 children and 28 adults.

Whenever Wales gets heavy rain, this comes to mind . The film coverage we had ( I was teaching on the edge of Wales at that time) was harrowing, and memories deeply distressing for so many there. .

We are indeed so lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Here is the final graph of Dennis' pressures versus the 24-hour forecasts.

503192.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

UK Met coloured analysis map when the low was at 923 hPa just for archives sake. Didn't capture the previous map when it was at 922 hPa unfortunately.

AOU2Eu8.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Harmonie analysis had it at 917hPa, maybe a mb too many? I guess we will never know

Advertisement