Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to fly a drone in Ireland

2»

Comments

Bruthal wrote: »
    Having a drone such as a mavic Pro etc with its abilities, is now getting like having a formula one car but you can only drive it in a shopping centre car park.

Range of about 4km and full autopilot home etc but ye won't be able to fly it outside your living room in time.

In fairness, drones, much as I use mine (mostly for work) are very much the kind of thing that shouldn't really be as easily available as they are.

For all the good that comes of them, there are so many negative aspects, that it's not hard to see why rules and regulations will start to get tightened up on.

It's always the assholes that ruin it for the decent people. It's the person that wants to get a decent shot of the sunset over some Donegal Mountains that will face difficulty doing so, because a few travellers used a drone to rob a farm, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭albernazj93

You cannot fly anywhere in Phoenix Park, because it's prohibited airspace due to the Aras etc. In the other two parks you mentioned, and indeed anywhere within 15 miles (I think, though it could be 20) of Dublin Airport, you cannot fly above 50 ft - this is called controlled airspace.

You then have the usual limitations of not flying within 30 metres of any person or building and not flying within 120 metres of a congregation of people.

In terms of where it's legal to fly...it's legal to fly anywhere as long as the above is adhered to. If you're taking off from or landing on private land, you need permission from the land owner, but it's perfectly legal to do so on public property as long as you're far enough away from everything as above.

Poster here for common rules: https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/p960x960/16991780_10154270635290848_7049142253023082252_o.jpg?oh=8f3ab86ba45a629fb0255fca6733b471&oe=59B91CD5
    You can use this map to determine if you're in controlled (yellow) or prohibited (red) airspace: https://www.flyryte.com/airspace/

Translating: You can't fly anywhere :(

Thanks for the post tho, I did not know all these rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Top Dog wrote: »
    IAA website says you can fly to 120m (400ft) altitude.

Only in class G airspace. Anywhere within 15km of an airport is class C and you are restricted to 50ft, unless you have specific permission. The IAA is unlikely to give permission unless you are licensed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Potentially a stupid question, but if you are flying too high in restricted airspace (say, at the very edge of the 15km range) will drones pick up in radar at the airport? If not, how is it policed?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Eire-Dearg wrote:
    Potentially a stupid question, but if you are flying too high in restricted airspace (say, at the very edge of the 15km range) will drones pick up in radar at the airport? If not, how is it policed?

Certain drones have the technology built in and won't allow you to fly or take off within that airspace. The likes of DJI, Xiaomi, Yuneec, autel, parrot etc.

The lower end drones without GPS would technically be 'less safe' because of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Hoop66 wrote: »
    Only in class G airspace. Anywhere within 15km of an airport is class C and you are restricted to 50ft, unless you have specific permission. The IAA is unlikely to give permission unless you are licensed.
    Is that not 5km rather than 15?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Is that not 5km rather than 15?
    To answer my own question - yes it is 5km

https://www.iaa.ie/docs/default-source/misc/drones-questions-and-answers.pdf?sfvrsn=2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Hoop66

5km is the no-fly zone. 5-15km (approx) is class C airspace where you can only fly above 50ft with specific permission from the IAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Use this map, and you generally can't go wrong. It's updated and maintained by current/ex Irish air-corp pilots that liase closely with IAA. If you click on the areas marked, it will tell you the local information - the class of the airspace and the local aerodrome.

https://www.flyryte.com/airspace

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Also, if you have a DJI drone, check their flight maps before you fly as they have additional restrictions eg. height limits along the approaches to most run ways for several kilometres...

https://www.dji.com/ie/flysafe/geo-map

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭ablelocks

only have my drone a week, but i've been asked to do take initial footage of a commercial site - just to get some footage for early design purposes. plan is if they buy the site, they'll get professionals in to do drone work.

however, it's within 5km of Casement and Baldonnel. edit - DJI map says the location is in an Authorization Zone.

So from my ltd reading this morning :

a) that effectively rules me out of getting any footage at any height with a mavic air 2?

and

b) if they want to get it done professionally, they and/or the drone operator need to get permission from the IAA, and the drone operator needs to be licensed?.

correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

ablelocks wrote: »
    only have my drone a week, but i've been asked to do take initial footage of a commercial site - just to get some footage for early design purposes. plan is if they buy the site, they'll get professionals in to do drone work.

however, it's within 5km of Casement and Baldonnel. edit - DJI map says the location is in an Authorization Zone.

So from my ltd reading this morning :

a) that effectively rules me out of getting any footage at any height with a mavic air 2?

and

b) if they want to get it done professionally, they and/or the drone operator need to get permission from the IAA, and the drone operator needs to be licensed?.

correct?

From my equally limited knowledge, yes to both questions....

ablelocks wrote:
    ablelocks wrote:

Correct, 5kms in any direction from an airport is a no go for the average drone pilot.

For the job listed above and for most professional work, the drone will need to be registered, the pilot will need to have completed their IAA certification, need permission from the IAA to fly in restricted areas and have the relevant insurance in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Cotts72

nthclare wrote: »
    Man if you want action with a drone go to the cliffs of moher or Doolin and you'll get spectacular footage.

Loop heads another place worth a shot, thats if you're ever down this way.

Apologies new to the drone game... Isnt the cliffs of moher a no drone zone?

And secondly as the mavic air 2 is below the 1kg do I still need to register it?

Cotts72 wrote:
    Apologies new to the drone game... Isnt the cliffs of moher a no drone zone?
    Not sure, I do know that lots of sites are no fly zones, like the curragh and other parks, check airmap to be sure.
    Cotts72 wrote:
    And secondly as the mavic air 2 is below the 1kg do I still need to register it?

It depends on how high and far you'd like to fly it. Anything above 15 metres and you'll need to register.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Cotts72

tedpan wrote: »
    Not sure, I do know that lots of sites are no fly zones, like the curragh and other parks, check airmap to be sure.

It depends on how high and far you'd like to fly it. Anything above 15 metres and you'll need to register.

I know Google says different but looking at the air map is seems to indicate that it's OK to fly. Was heading that way next week so might just email

Cotts72 wrote: »
    I know Google says different but looking at the air map is seems to indicate that it's OK to fly. Was heading that way next week so might just email

Yeah, look out for local signage too. Hope you can get some nice shots!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Cotts72 wrote: »
    The land operated by Clare County Council don't allow the use of drones, they have plenty of signs about it.

The cliffs themselves obviously extend south and north of this point with signage noting when you are leaving the "visitor areas"
    Take off and land well outside the Clare CC perimeter and on public land, then you should be ok just be safe with people milling around the weather.

There's more to consider when flying than just airspace.

Advertisement