Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Publishing query - sports non-fiction

• 07-07-2017 5:40pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I've (almost) written a book, and thoughts are starting to turn to the question of "What next?"

As above, genre is sports non-fiction. I've had a read through the "Getting published" sticky, and while it has some useful info, I said I'd throw up a new thread to see if anyone has any experience in this particular area. Most of ye seem to be writing fiction as opposed to non-fiction. :)

Status is unfinished as yet; I reckon another 6-8 weeks to a final manuscript. I would like to contact some publishers now though as, without going into too much detail, it's quite topical about now and the subject may be more likely to pique interest. (Yes, I know that means if I am lucky enough to be published, it's the wrong time for it, but can't have everything...)

Main issues for non-fiction seem to be around competing titles, marketability of topic, authority of the author, and I think I tick all the boxes there. I've written before, but it's usually for fun; first time doing anything like this. Length is about 50k words.

I guess a few things I'm thinking about are -
    • Should I be looking at Irish or UK publishers, or does it make a difference? While I'm writing about Irish football, I think the topic has wider appeal and could actually do better in England.
    • Should the synopsis in the submission letter be matter of fact and objective, or should it be a bit subjective ("A humorous and heart-warming tale", say)?
    • I've looked up some publishers (sourced from book reviews in a football magazine I read) and it seems submissions can be reviewed as infrequently as quarterly. That just seems to encourage submitting to multiple publishers. Is this a wise plan? Should it be mentioned in the submission letter? Would it be held against you?
    • What happens after submission? How long do you be waiting for a reply? (I appreciate this will probably vary quite a lot! But even a typical experience would be interesting)
    • I've done a lot of interviews for the book, and I should probably check with people that they're happy with what I've put in the book about them. Are there any issues around this? I guess I should just send people the relevant pages rather than the whole thing just in case it leaks and there's copyright issues?
    • Are editing/reviewing services worth it? I see €500 quoted on inkwell for a reader report for example, or €300 for a submission letter assessment; sounds like a fair whack of money. Elsewhere, I see people saying that there's a bit of an industry around getting money from writers. I'm not sure which is the way to go here.

Any advice welcome. I'm aware that it's odds against being accepted of course, but I've spent a fair bit of time on the project and want to at least make a proper go of it from here. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Hey - I don't really have a whole lot of advice for you, but I think The Liffey Press would be a good bet.
    I know they put out a very good LOI book called "Just Follow the Floodlights" by Brian Kennedy and it done really well.
    There is a definately a bit of a market for LOI books and material so perhaps they'd be interested. Just my two cents man.

Best of luck with it. I hope to read it some day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Actually, that might be more helpful than you think. Sure I have a contact for Brian (a mate of mine named that book!); I might drop him a line alright.

My book's not strictly LoI as such - it's more Season With Verona than Don't Follow The Floodlights, which was very LoI specific. But certainly a possible starting point alright; thanks for that! I certainly hope you'll get the chance to read my book. :) I think as a worst-case scenario, I'll self-publish; there's too much work gone in to let it just drop at this stage.

Open to other advice from others if it's out there of course.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Would you think of approaching an agent?

Good question. I don't know. How would I find one? Creativewriting.ie lumps agents and publishers together; is there a cross-over? Edit - apologies; the agents are buried at the bottom of the page.

What do agents do exactly? Answer my questions above, give my submission more weight and take a cut of any (hypothetical) earnings? Presumably other advice too?

And presumably there's cost too? Would it be a set amounts for editing, advice, etc, services, and then cut of any (hypothetical) income?

(And again, aware of the odds, even though to ask about agents' fees makes it sound like I'm expecting success...)

Okay, so in Ireland, publishers take direct queries, as a rule. There are very few agents.

In the UK, there are only a small number of publishers that will take a direct query, and only take them from agents.

Pick up a few books in the same general area as yours would sit and look at the acknowledgements page and find agents' names and google.

If you get an agent to take you on, they don't get paid unless you get paid. They take a percentage of the sale of your book. The benefit is that they know which publishing house to submit to to maximize the sale.

They also work with you on editing/polishing your manuscript (well most do, one or two fiction agents I know of don't, which seems self-defeating, but anyway.)

Edited to add...
    I have a friend who's published with Hachette. It was a humorous Irish politics book. They take direct submissions without an agent

http://www.hachettebooksireland.ie/Information/Information%20For%20Authors.page

• Advertisement

That's interesting. I've targeted a couple of initial publishers based on similar kind of books; both are English. They have submission guidelines on their websites, but no indication that agents are required. I see the link you have explicitly notes that fiction submissions are agent-only, but non-fiction is different. I wonder have I just got lucky (or missed something) with the two I've found? Or is the non-fiction focus a factor?

Either way, will have a look at your suggestion alright; thanks Kitty!

Yeah, it could be different, because they look for submissions based on the planned book with non-fiction, but try that with fiction and you'll end up in the recycle bin. :pac:

May as well bring this thread to its conclusion - the book finally saw the light of day there last month. It was picked up by Vision Sports in England in the end, though I was paying them, so it was essentially self-published. But I'm ok with that, and they've done a good job in fairness.

It's been a lot of work getting it this far - and it turns out selling it is even harder! I won't make money on it - though that was never really the intention; this is a box ticked really.

But then you open the Irish Times to see it listed in the Sports Book of the Year section, and described as a "delightful, fun little gem of a book", and suddenly it's all worth it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

Well done, Cdeb. As writers (I’m a fiction writer, but at the end of the day there’s a lot of similarities) we tend to think that the mark of success is getting picked up by a mainstream publisher, but actually there’s so few books being picked up from new authors these days that it’s almost random.
    You’ve got your book out there, people are buying it, you have a copy on the shelf to show to the grandchildren. Go pop a cork on some metaphorical champagne and enjoy the moment.
    Kieran

Metaphorical? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

That’s the best kinda champagne there is!!

Advertisement