Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Woman Loses Job for Holding Gender Critical Opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's none of our business grand. Remember that boys and girls if the day ever comes and the country is asked to vote on any trans related issues.

Are there any in the constitution?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

It's none of our business grand. Remember that boys and girls if the day ever comes and the country is asked to vote on any trans related issues.

It's none of your business unless you comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Are there any in the constitution?

Who knows what the future holds.

Who knows what the future holds.

Doesn't answer the question.

How, exactly, is it your business? Or the State's business to such an extent that a referendum would be needed??

• Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Danzy wrote: »
    A blog that is not known outside of South Dublin cafes is hardly representative of Irish women.

Maybe of a slice of Middle and Upper Class Irish women and even a few working class ones but it is a niche site.

The 1200 women who signed that open letter are representative though. In expressing the views in that letter they represent themselves, they represent their friends, colleagues, peers and the organisations they work for and volunteer for who share their views.

Compared to the UK Ireland has relatively little trans exclusionary radical feminists. The reality is a large amount of Irish cis women reject trans exclusionary radical feminist ideology.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Doesn't answer the question.

How, exactly, is it your business? Or the State's business to such an extent that a referendum would be needed??

You could say the same for any referendums when they only affect certain people in the overall population. Yet when these come up the group is asking for everyone's help.

How many genders are there?

Straight off I can think of four; XX and XY biological females and males, then you have XXY females (Turner's Syndrome I think) and XX males, these people are not intersex but have genders that not typical perhaps.

I don't know anything about intersex people but the different combinations of X and Y chromosomes cast a different light on this idea of two clearly defined genders alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭conorhal

Question everything, but be prepared for the consequences.
    Just don't be a whingebag, "waah, I wanna say whatever I want and have no repurcussions".

The world does not and never has worked like that.

And what do you think should be the proportionate consequence?

Should she just suffer an inability to earn a living for her opinion or should she be sent somewhere for re-education perhaps? (that's been a traditional consequence of 'wrong think' in autocratic societies.)
    Should she also be refused access to housing, public transport and social services as you might well be under something like China's social credit system?

You're a gulag fan.

All the left appear to have learned from the McCarthy era is how to most effectively silence dissent.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

The more I think about it, I think it could definitely be argued that firing someone is an expression of free speech in this particular case. They're making their company's mission statement and expectations of setting a particular workplace environment very clear.

ogsjw wrote: »
    The more I think about it, I think it could definitely be argued that firing someone is an expression of free speech in this particular case. They're making their company's mission statement and expectations of setting a particular workplace environment very clear.

You could say the same about a workplace that fires you for writing an article about the importance of unions too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Most intelligent form of life on Earth my h*le.... Asteroid? Ice age? Aliens? Robots? SOMETHING? Please? Literally anything would be better.....

59d33txdkqdz.jpg

ogsjw wrote:

I suppose you would be as accepting if someone fired a trans person if their expectations of the work place that a man is a man and a woman is a woman?

Expression of free speech for both ways

jaxxx wrote:
    Most intelligent form of life on Earth my h*le.... Asteroid? Ice age? Aliens? Robots? SOMETHING? Please? Literally anything would be better.....

I identify as an alien.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I identify as an alien.

You and me both.

You could say the same for any referendums when they only affect certain people in the overall population. Yet when these come up the group is asking for everyone's help.

For the second time, this avoids the question completely. It's nothing to do with you or the State and the fact that you can't think of a single incident in which it would proves my point.

What - exactly - are you worried about? And if you're NOT worried, why do you care?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

budgese wrote: »
    Straight off I can think of four; XX and XY biological females and males, then you have XXY females (Turner's Syndrome I think) and XX males, these people are not intersex but have genders that not typical perhaps.

I don't know anything about intersex people but the different combinations of X and Y chromosomes cast a different light on this idea of two clearly defined genders alone.

XXY is Kleinfelters and are male. X, or XO is turners and is female.
    Both are considered intersex conditions.

budgese wrote: »

A genetic disorder really doesn't 'redefine the binary nature of gender' any more then being trisomy 21 (suffering from Down's syndrome as a consequence of having an extra chromosome 21) calls into question whether or not you're classed as human or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

I just never get why non trans people get so up in arms about it anyway.

It's literally none of your business. If Bob wants to be called Shirley and be referred to as her, why is that so hard to get? What difference would it make to your life? You've learned many things, how to walk, a language, drive etc. Far harder things than remembering Bob is now Shirley and would prefer you to call her, "her".

This is not what is at issue.

Your argument falls under Straw Man fallacy by making the problem seem to be about something else - trivial - that is not at all the problem.

It falls under the False Dichotomy argument by over-simplifying the issues, making out there are only a limited number of things at stake or a limited number of ways of looking at those issues.

It falls under the Red Herring fallacy because it diverts the argument to things that are not the issue.

It even falls under the Appeal to Pity fallacy by making out that people are either stupid or monstrous if they question this gender ideology in any way.

Mr Parrot and to a lesser extent yourself also use the Bandwagon Fallacy as if all the other fallacies are not enough.

The issue is not about Bob being called Shirley. You know this.

I suppose you would be as accepting if someone fired a trans person if their expectations of the work place that a man is a man and a woman is a woman?

Expression of free speech for both ways

That would be discrimination and it is enshrined in law.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

For the second time, this avoids the question completely. It's nothing to do with you or the State and the fact that you can't think of a single incident in which it would proves my point.

What - exactly - are you worried about? And if you're NOT worried, why do you care?

Of course it’s everybody's business. Here a 16year old cis gender high school athlete who is certainly affected by it.

• Advertisement

YFlyer wrote: »
    Just say no.

So no opinion on lesbians being bullied and called TERFs and transphobes, based solely on their sexual orientation and preferences, by some in the transgender community? Nobody seems to want to condemn that as bullying.

Zorya wrote: »

Mr Parrot and to a lesser extent yourself also use the Bandwagon Fallacy as if all the other fallacies are not enough.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

All the anti LGBT bandwagonning going on around here lately and you come out with this.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Terry Pratchet

That would be discrimination and it is enshrined in law.

Hopefully Ms Forstater will also get the ruling that it is discrimination and against the Equality Act of 2010 to be fired for having scientific opinions about the material reality of people's biological sex.

Hopefully Ms Forstater will also get the ruling that it is discrimination and against the Equality Act of 2010 to be fired for having scientific opinions about the material reality of people's biological sex.

How is it discrimination?

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

No company should be obliged to continue employing someone they feel represents them publicly in a negative light.

conorhal wrote: »
    A genetic disorder really doesn't 'redefine the binary nature of gender' any more then being trisomy 21 (suffering from Down's syndrome as a consequence of having an extra chromosome 21) calls into question whether or not you're classed as human or not.

So.... Intersex people are what? An inconvenience?

Candamir wrote: »
    Of course it’s everybody's business. Here a 16year old cis gender high school athlete who is certainly affected by it.

That's "everybody's business"? To the extent that the poster was worried about a referendum being called?

How is it discrimination?

It is discrimination against someone's right to have a political opinion that is backed by science regarding the ''material reality'' of sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

It is discrimination against someone's right to have a political opinion that is backed by science regarding the ''material reality'' of sex.

That's not a right companies are required to uphold; companies are obligated to protect their reputation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭Augme

Since when has policital opinion been covered under the equality act?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement