Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

OnePlus 7 Discussion

• 04-03-2019 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭

Some leaks beginning to appear, looks like it'll have a pop up camera and confirmed it wont have wireless charging

dims?quality=85&image_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fimages%2Fdims%3Fcrop%3D1600%252C1067%252C0%252C0%26quality%3D85%26format%3Djpg%26resize%3D1600%252C1067%26image_uri%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fs.yimg.com%252Fos%252Fcreatr-uploaded-images%252F2019-03%252Ff72647f0-3def-11e9-acfb-6dc6f80b2ab2%26client%3Da1acac3e1b3290917d92%26signature%3D77b952cbbc503a4129fe9c225c5e9ee9e35b6080&client=amp-blogside-v2&signature=db0a95b1abd3d6e1d73bba6cb1f6f753b2283e91

gsmarena_001.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I like the idea of the popup camera but it's way too finicky for my liking. Anything like that with a motor, especially first iteration, doesn't inspire confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Seen that today myself. Looks interesting though I wonder how durable the pop up camera is. I'd imagine it would break pretty easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭duffman3833

I don't mind no wireless charging. Its really more of a nuisance than anything. The only place its handy for is in the car, let it charge away while driving. If you were at home or anywhere, it needs to be sitting on charging device and if you need to use it you pick it up and stops charging while if its plugged in with a cable at least you can still use it and it charges away. I read on the Verge i think, that they wont get wireless charging until its capable of charging speeds similar to the lightning quick speeds they get using cable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

The OnePlus is the only Android I would buy. I have a OP2, and it's starting to pack in. Apps are slow, phone overheats, and battery drains fast. It's had a great run. It cost me €305 in Feb 2016.

As much as I want an iPhone (Everything else I have is Apple, nothing compares imo). I can't justify 1200 on a phone. My next phone is either a OP6T or a 7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Cina wrote: »
    I like the idea of the popup camera but it's way too finicky for my liking. Anything like that with a motor, especially first iteration, doesn't inspire confidence.

Don't forget that the Oppo Find X had the popup camera last year.
    So based on lessons learned (you'd hope!) for that phone, one could argue that this is a second iteration, and not a first.

If the mechanism is made of high grade metal then it could prove sturdy enough.

Only long term reviews will tell though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭floatwinner

Please let this have a notification led.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

OP6 has that, no reason to think this won't?
    Edie: sorry...I know OP6t doesn't... hopefully they learned their lesson is what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭blade1

OP6 has that, no reason to think this won't?
    Edie: sorry...I know OP6t doesn't... hopefully they learned their lesson is what I mean

Can't see that happening as surely with the full screen there is no where to put it.

I'll be considering buying the 7 but a couple of things will put me off.

I'm on my 3rd OnePlus model (6t) at the moment and in hindsight shouldn't have bothered moving from the 5t I had before it.
    The 5t was perfect for me in everyway.

The 6t,while a great phone, got a few changes that I think, didn't necessarily make it a better phone.
    1: lost its led.
    2: I am not a fan of the notch.
    3: Fingerprint Sensor.

It's my 5th phone with a fingerprint sensor and imo the worst yet.

With the 7, the notch will be gone so that a plus.
    That new pop up selfie cam won't bother me as I never take selfies.
    Bigger battery! Brilliant!
    New colours! All good again.
    Probably no led.dissapointing but not a deal breaker.

So the fingerprint sensor is my main issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The popup wouldn't bother me at all as I never use the front camera, but I'd like to have seen wireless charging as I'd forgot how useful it was after not having it on my previous phone to this.

My main interest will be to see if they finally get the main camera right and what the new OS is like. Really like the look of what I've seen in screenshots.

blade1 wrote: »

The first iteration is never any good hopefully they have ironed out the bugs etc... and it will be implemented better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

blade1 wrote: »
    It's my 5th phone with a fingerprint sensor and imo the worst yet...

This is down to opinion, but I think the 6t has the best fingerprint sensor I've used. I find it much quicker than the sensor on my previous device (iPhone 7). After the first setup it struggled to recognise my print most of the time, but since the second setup I've had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Actually looks quite interesting.
    As someone who wouldn't even know if a phone had a front camera or not, I'm glad that the thing is hidden away and more real estate given to screen :)

I don't think it's going to be worth double the price that I paid for my Nokia 8.1 though, even though I'm starting to miss OnePlus phones.

Perhaps they should look to a more budget friendly model, with the 7 series SD processors, for those of us who think the pricing has gotten out of hand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

marcbrophy wrote: »
    As someone who wouldn't even know if a phone had a front camera or not, I'm glad that the thing is hidden away and more real estate given to screen :)

I've never used a front camera so great news for me :)

Looks like we might be getting 2 phones Oneplus 7 and 7 Pro. If rumours are true the 7 will look identical to the 6T, the 7 Pro will have the pop up camera, 3 cameras at the back and curved screen.

gsmarena_002.jpg

gsmarena_003.jpg

EDIT:

Pro also rumored to have QuadHD resolution with 90Hz screen

https://www.androidcentral.com/oneplus-7-pro-will-feature-quad-hd-90hz-display

It's looking like pro will be up towards €800-900. That's just me guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭SickBoy

xtal191 wrote: »
    looks like it'll have a pop up camera

And for that reason, I'm out.

Popup sounds class to me as it'll never be activated after day one so there's no chance of it breaking. Be interested to see what they're doing with the main cameras on the pro.

Another supposed leak of the Pro

Ea49b7te2DKWCoCPpdTG4b-970-80.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lynvoh

I really hate that popup camera, but I don't know why..

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote: »
    Another supposed leak of the Pro

Ea49b7te2DKWCoCPpdTG4b-970-80.jpg

That looks the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

lynvoh wrote: »

I just want to snap it in half haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

That looks fantastic. I love the pop-up camera as I hardly ever use the front facing camera but nice to have the option hidden away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

I'm not that bothered by the pop up camera as I never use the selfie one for photos or unlocking.

The curved screen though on the Pro which would be the one I'd have an interest in is a big no-no for me.

lynvoh wrote: »

For someone who doesn't use the front facing camera it's an ideal solution for me. No loss of screen space at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I don't like the idea of any moving parts on a device like a mobile phone. I'm sure they have done their tests and it will pop up 10,000 times without issue in lab conditions. But not when the phone has been dropped once or twice or when it's been rattled around in a pocket for six months or handled by fingers which have just gone through a huge bag of taytos. Any moving part is an easy point of weakness.

About 6 years ago or so I saw people in Japan using cameras (Not phones admittedly) which had a small screen on the front (Just above and to the right of the lens - Opposite where you would find built in flash). Just enough so they could position their selfie. Surely something like this would be cheaper (And look cooler) than a mechanical point of failure: Have NO selfie camera. Just a good rear camera and a small (2 inch by 2 inch) low rez, cheap screen on the back purely for framing. Surely that would suit the narcissists better: TWO screens to admire themselves :)

Launch event confirmed for 14th May at 4pm BST.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

Was there from the OnePlus one. Poxy invite system and all. Got the 2, the 3 and the 3t. After that the prices went too high. I switched to Nokia 7 plus then and still on that.

Basically a 300 euro phone can do everything perfectly for me now. That's the price that OnePlus one came out at. 600 euro now? I mean are you getting a phone that's twice as good as a 300 phone? I can't see the difference anymore in the better screen resolution. Better photos? My current phone photos looks amazing. Maybe I'm getting old, just ranting lads.

No bezel on the phone, who decided that was better? My fingers obscure the screen edges now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Curved screen :mad: and I don't like the idea of moving parts on a phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Going to pick up the pro, despite the expected €800+ price tag. I've never used a front facing camera in my life, delighted to see it hidden instead of taking up screen space. Couldn't really care less if it breaks.

Advertisement