Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ski Season 2018/2019

Comments

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Where do the most Irish tend to go in Austria, out of interest? Will likely be going with Saalbach anyway, but was just wondering the most frequented from here?

from my experience you're most likely to bump into irish on some of the Topflight resorts. Westendorf, Soll, St.Johann would have been very popular a few years ago, not sure so much over the last few years,
    having said that, if you go outside of peak season you might meet no other irish person for the week. Went to Bad Hofgastein last March myself and only met 1 other guy from the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I hate encountering anyone irish or even english speaking on holidays. Appreciate that's wholly snobby but I just prefer the immersion when you don't hear familiar voices. And the inevitable "do you know x" chat!

Albeit first time I was ever in the moose was on paddy's day, getting my face painted with shamrocks by some randomers who did us proud so maybe I should revise my views!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭prunudo

a148pro wrote: »
    I hate encountering anyone irish or even english speaking on holidays. Appreciate that's wholly snobby but I just prefer the immersion when you don't hear familiar voices. And the inevitable "do you know x" chat!

Albeit first time I was ever in the moose was on paddy's day, getting my face painted with shamrocks by some randomers who did us proud so maybe I should revise my views!

Just on this, agree its nice to get away and experience something different. First year our group went to Mayrhofen we went to the apres places that the tour op suggested, the likes of Scotland yard, or Scotty's as all the cool English and Irish seasonaires called it, it was very meh tbh and totally overrated.
    Second time we went back we found the likes of Bruck n Stadl where the other Europeans go with real apres ski, euro pop music is found. Much better laugh and nice to get a flavour of Austrian apres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

We go to Mayrhofen most years and really like it. The last few years we have started doing a day in Kaltenback and Zell Am Ziller/Gerlos and it is great to cover three resorts in a few days. There's a good gang of us so we do Apres Ski there at the end of the day and get a minibus home. It's great to experience other resorts. We had great fun in Gerlos last year when we found a little log cabin/bar in the centre of town with very attractive bar barmaids and a good DJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Not liking the unseasonably mild weather this week in Alps, hopefully some colder weather and precipitation to come saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Big dumps forecast this weekend for the Arlberg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

kal7 wrote: »
    Not liking the unseasonably mild weather this week in Alps, hopefully some colder weather and precipitation to come saturday.

Parts of the Swiss alps looking at massive dumps this weekend. It's always the beginning of December the panic sets in!

kal7 wrote: »

as well as the usual snowforecast, bergfex, wetter sites i find this site good

https://www.weathertoski.co.uk/

instead of it just being charts, they give a brief description of whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aconnor

on the question of where people tend to go, by nature people will use the travel agents when they are newbies. It makes sense when you haven't a clue. Then when you learn a bit and want to do it yourself, you will be more inclined to go to the resorts you know because its easier to organise.
    I think resorts that are real villages do tend to be nicer to you, and they do have pride in their villages and their reputation, whether they all tend to speak to you in German, French or English is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

First day skiing of this season tomorrow !!! A new resort for me too, Avoriaz.
    I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Going back to Soll fire the first time in a few years mid Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Any recommendations for a mid/late Jan solo week? I've gone with the ucpa to the French alps several times so would like to branch out somewhere else now.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

May or may not suit but maybe the Today FM trip if you are going solo.

Has anyone flown Swiss where you get free Ski carriage? Do you have to let them know you're bringing them? Their website isn't clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

First day skiing of this season tomorrow !!! A new resort for me too, Avoriaz.
    I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.

Bluebird for your first day , nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lulut

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Has anyone flown Swiss where you get free Ski carriage? Do you have to let them know you're bringing them? Their website isn't clear.

Yes I just emailed them when i flew with them to book the snowboard on. They should reply with confirmation that it is booked on

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

The answer is yes. I've flown with them a few times with a ski bag free. Pretty sure you can't have another checked bag though, so basically your ski bag is your checked bag. I normally pack the ski bag with skis, boots and all my gear so I don't bother with additional checked luggage anyway.

DoraDelite wrote: »
    The answer is yes. I've flown with them a few times with a ski bag free. Pretty sure you can't have another checked bag though, so basically your ski bag is your checked bag. I normally pack the ski bag with skis, boots and all my gear so I don't bother with additional checked luggage anyway.

My ski bag is enormous so if I've to put all my gear in it that will be fine, but I hadn't heard it was one or the other! Crap.

EDIT - Swiss have told me the skis are in addition to my normal 23KG bag. Fare is Economy Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fulldnod

i flew to geneva last year with them, its free whatever way u bring them. you can bring luggage bag + ski bag + boot bag if you want but it has to be the ticket including the luggage, i'm flying to zurich with them again, i'm only after realising ryanair are now flying to innsbruck, but i there are €100 dearer than flying to zurich, i didn't notify them

fulldnod wrote: »
    i flew to geneva last year with them, its free whatever way u bring them. you can bring luggage bag + ski bag + boot bag if you want but it has to be the ticket including the luggage, i'm flying to zurich with them again, i'm only after realising ryanair are now flying to innsbruck, but i there are €100 dearer than flying to zurich, i didn't notify them

I looked at RYR to Innsbruck but the cost of a flight with them incl skis and a bag each way looks like the same price as a Crystal Ski B&B for a week in Mayrhofen, incl flights/transfers/B&B!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fulldnod

I looked at RYR to Innsbruck but the cost of a flight with them incl skis and a bag each way looks like the same price as a Crystal Ski B&B for a week in Mayrhofen, incl flights/transfers/B&B!

ya its ski carraige that kills it,i wonder do they let you bring your luggage in your ski bag, we done mayrhofen with crystal at last minute afew years ago, it was probaly the best ski hol i was on out 9 trips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Bluebird for your first day , nice :)

It was an epic day, unfortunately the temp has gone a couple of degré too high and it’s lashed rain since then.
    Looks like a while until the next dump.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Great snow and stunning weather in Obertauern, Austria. Lots of snow fell last 2 days, reports of rain in neighboring resorts but altitude here means it's rare.

sVY80c3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mollser

Just arrived in Ellmau in Austria, one village up from Soll. Conditions are unreal, so much snow has come down the last 24 hours with plenty more due this week. Great start to the season!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm off to Zell am See on Wednesday. Nearly afraid to check the weather!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Dial Hard wrote: »

Looks like a bit of snow on the way, not so much sun unfortunately.

https://www.yr.no/place/Austria/Salzburg/Zell_am_See/long.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Dial Hard wrote: »

Talk of a lot of snow in that neck of woods over the next week, I'm hoping to get out but can't just yet. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭anthony500_1

mollser wrote:
    Just arrived in Ellmau in Austria, one village up from Soll. Conditions are unreal, so much snow has come down the last 24 hours with plenty more due this week. Great start to the season!

Just looking at the live cameras, looks like savage ski conditions but not great visibility. Looks to be plenty of snow on the way too for the rest of the week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

mollser wrote: »

there in 2.5 weeks so hopefully the conditions hold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I was gonna go with the ucpa to France on the 13th Jan, but snow looking a hell of alot better in Austria at the min. Any suggestions for a solo trip to Austria?

Advertisement