Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ski season 2015/16

Options
  • 25-06-2015 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Just been having a look for next years season and there isnt a whole pile on offer. Seems pretty expensive at the moment too.

Does anybody know when directski release all their dates for 2016.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

I've been looking too, very little value yet.
    A couple of deals but only small discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

I think what i will do this year is book flights and accomadation with DS and do the rest myself.

I would be flying from Cork and as far as i know there is no direct flight to Salzberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Been 1/2 looking myself last few days, will most likely do a diy trip with a chalet etc, are we better off trying to get in early booking that or does it make any difference? Looking at going to go somewhere like the 3 valleys, want somewhere with very good on piste skiing (plenty of long reds!), and fairly snow sure, not hugely worried about the cost of pints/eating out etc once the supermarkets ain't crazy expensive!

Timmaay wrote: »
    Been 1/2 looking myself last few days, will most likely do a diy trip with a chalet etc, are we better off trying to get in early booking that or does it make any difference? Looking at going to go somewhere like the 3 valleys, want somewhere with very good on piste skiing (plenty of long reds!), and fairly snow sure, not hugely worried about the cost of pints/eating out etc once the supermarkets ain't crazy expensive!

Meribel is perfect then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Going to book flights to Munich and after that mist of Austria is an option.st anton,ischgl mayrhofen or sallbach on the hit list .def going Diy ,big savings to be made.3 valleys looks really good but price ,après ski ,value for money it's hard beat Austria

• Advertisement

Still gotta do the Austrian aples, but my problem now is I've set the bar high after morzine and tignes last year ha, those traditional French resorts might be in general expensive but can certainly be done on a budget still, groups like the ucpa are fantastic, all in tignes last year cost me about 900 quid, including ski lessons. I'm a hard core skier I'll admit, the apres ski more an after thought ha.

Still gotta do the Austrian aples, but my problem now is I've set the bar high after morzine and tignes last year ha, those traditional French resorts might be in general expensive but can certainly be done on a budget still, groups like the ucpa are fantastic, all in tignes last year cost me about 900 quid, including ski lessons. I'm a hard core skier I'll admit, the apres ski more an after thought ha.

Lots of great resorts in Austria Tim with huge varied Skiing .mayrhofen is huge with over 650 km of skiing on one pass.ski welt also very big although snow can be hit and miss in parts due to lower altitude but is a really fun area .would love to do val thorens though looks really good

Lots of great resorts in Austria Tim with huge varied Skiing .mayrhofen is huge with over 650 km of skiing on one pass.ski welt also very big although snow can be hit and miss in parts due to lower altitude but is a really fun area .would love to do val thorens though looks really good

mahoney_j wrote: »

Pity the ucpa only in France.

How does Austria compare with France in terms of value for money, crowds etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Italy twice last year. Had been twice before but Italian laissez faire half arsedness annoyed me too much.

Now I'm a bit older, bit more chilled and more into my grub and wine. Italy ticks all these boxes, is cheaper and the people are a lot more charming than France or Austria.

Plus its been hit pretty hard with snow the last two years.

Puibo wrote: »
    How does Austria compare with France in terms of value for money, crowds etc?

Value for money no comparison ,Austria hands down .people nicer more chilled .skiing terrain possibly better in France .crowds would be same in both.busy times and quite

Prices up for the UCPA/action outdoors! http://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/

looking seriously at 1st week of Jan in VT or VDI.

Probably going to book in the nrxt week or so. Saalbach was top of the list but probably going to go with mayrhofen.

Has anybody stayed anywhere else in the valley that has good apres and decent skiing obviously!!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

hard to beat ischgl for the overall experience, i.e. maybe not the best in each category (i.e terrain, lifts, price, craic) but overall the best when you put them all together. For a small resort, engelberg!
    DIY all the way, I never found any particular savings to be made by waiting for prices to drop. Book early and get best flight prices, and the pick of the best accommdation whatever resort you choose to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Looks like I'll be hitting Austria for the first time in January! Which resort is another question!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 crossfat

Any comments on what's the best use of kilternan?
    I'd be a decent boarder but want to give skiing a better go this yr. I could parallel turn and that skiing but want to get better. Go to the park etc...

I live in cork. Should i become a member? Do day courses?

crossfat wrote:
    Any comments on what's the best use of kilternan? I'd be a decent boarder but want to give skiing a better go this yr. I could parallel turn and that skiing but want to get better. Go to the park etc...

crossfat wrote:
    I live in cork. Should i become a member? Do day courses?

Try the place up in the glen maybe. I know they do lessons. Havent been there so I cant say if its any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Looks like I'll be hitting Austria for the first time in January! Which resort is another question!

Zell am See is a pretty good resort, plus Kaprun is a short trip away on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭prunudo

Mayrhofen all day long, but that's just my personal preference. It depends what you want out of a holiday but I find it ticks all the right boxes, nice town, good slopes, great après and cheap enough food & beer

• Advertisement

Anyone doing the UCPA this year? Going either 1st or 2nd week of Jan here, probably Val thorens, going to book soon before flights rocket or it sells out!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Quii

Gonna do Söll again this year I'd say! Cork - Munich flights are mega cheap at the moment, gonna do the rest DIY!

TK Maxx have already started getting some bits in!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭prunudo

And so it's started, I know it's way to early to get excited but look at this :D
    Mayrhofen today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

jvan wrote: »
    And so it's started, I know it's way to early to get excited but look at this :D
    Mayrhofen today

That is so fab for this time of year! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

That is so fab for this time of year! :O

I'm hopping El Niño will be good for us this year.

Hintertux had 36" this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Yeah I was hoping that would be good, not too much proof that it does but sure anything for extra snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Southern Hemisphere is having a good season- lookin good for us! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭murra

Anyone have any advice on DIY? Have booked through Direct Ski last two years but it has been expensive.

Flights are no issue, but where is the best place to look for accommodation and ski pass/equipment etc.

Cheers.

murra wrote: »
    Anyone have any advice on DIY? Have booked through Direct Ski last two years but it has been expensive.

Flights are no issue, but where is the best place to look for accommodation and ski pass/equipment etc.

Cheers.

Booking.com will give a good idea of what's around the area your looking at, but make sure ya look at whatever resorts local tourist website, they usually have a list of local accommodation. For ski passes just Google whatever resort and book straight through their official website, you almost never can get discounts on ski passes so don't waste your time looking around for one ha. Ski hire spend abit of time Googling different prices, the French resorts seem to be something around 80quid/week, cheaper places as low as 60, but often "full prices" are the likes of 140euro etc ha.

You got any idea where you are going, what level and when in the season?

• Advertisement

murra wrote: »

Cheers.

I book at least one ski trip every year DIY and have learnt a lot from doing so.

What are you looking for from the holiday?
    Where do you want to go?
    When?
    Family or lads/girls trip.
    What's important to you? Skiing, après ski in ski out etc.

Advertisement