Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starting Running- what gear do you need?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I'm thinking of joining a running club and I've never done running ever before. Any specific reccomendations on cheap starter clothes?

Aldi and Lidl often have good cheap running clothes. Many of the sports shops have sales on at the moment like Champion Sports. Make sure you don't buy cotton, but a fabric that allows your skin to breath, so get a technical running top if you can.

Basically you need a pair of shorts and a light top/singlet type thing. As light as possible. Most people starting off wear too many clothes. It's very warm at the moment when running, even if it doesn't feel it walking. It's quite humid and you'll be sweating buckets after a few minutes, especially if you're a beginner so the least amount of clothes the better.
    So shorts and a light top (sleeveless if possible).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Any recommendations on where to go in Dublin or Bray to get advice on what runners I need? I dont have any medical requirements or anything just never did any running before and want to do couch25k.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sound perfect thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Thargor wrote: »
    Any recommendations on where to go in Dublin or Bray to get advice on what runners I need? I dont have any medical requirements or anything just never did any running before and want to do couch25k.
    RayCun wrote: »
    The Dublin locations for Amphibian King are a bit of a trek. Anywhere near the city centre that would be recommended?

EDIT: Went to the next thread and see you recommended Elvery's so will give them a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Kyle47

My favorite running app is the Nike + run app, completely free to sign up and it measures time, distance, pace at all the different points, elevation, and gives you a rough estimate on calories. It also kind of doubles as a social/motivational app as you can share your run with friends and see the leaderboard of the KMs/miles everyone has run this month!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Kyle47 wrote: »
    My favorite running app is the Nike + run app, completely free to sign up and it measures time, distance, pace at all the different points, elevation, and gives you a rough estimate on calories. It also kind of doubles as a social/motivational app as you can share your run with friends and see the leaderboard of the KMs/miles everyone has run this month!

Nearly everyone I follow and know from here uses Strava. There is a free version or a Summit version. You can keep all activities private or choose to go public. If you have the Summit version if doing intervals it'll break down your paces and splits. It is excellent. It was created as a cycling app. You can also add your gear, so runners or bike. You can ask it to notify you when you hit certain mileage in the runners. Many perks and benefits in the free and paid version. Definitely worth checking out if you want to link with friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

I need a new pair of runners for marathon running.

These are my old neutral shoes that I used for much shorter distances.

The blue is where the runners have worn most and the red circle is the area of my foot that I feel discomfort after running anything over 10km. (just the right foot)

h4BibSZ.jpg

Would the wear and area of discomfort suggest that I have an overpronation?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

HugoMyBoss wrote: »
    I need a new pair of runners for marathon running.

These are my old neutral shoes that I used for much shorter distances.

The blue is where the runners have worn most and the red circle is the area of my foot that I feel discomfort after running anything over 10km. (just the right foot)

h4BibSZ.jpg

Would the wear and area of discomfort suggest that I have an overpronation?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers.

I would bring these with you when you go and get a gait analysis, especially if about to undertake marathon training. They will get you to try out and run in a few types to see what suits you. If you can get to the Run Hub, they have a shop on Aungier St and out in Ashtown. Or Amphibian King, they are in Ballymount and maybe Bray. Sorry as both Dublin are but who I would recommend. Go to a running shop anyway if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

aquinn wrote: »
    I would bring these with you when you go and get a gait analysis, especially if about to undertake marathon training. They will get you to try out and run in a few types to see what suits you. If you can get to the Run Hub, they have a shop on Aungier St and out in Ashtown. Or Amphibian King, they are in Ballymount and maybe Bray. Sorry as both Dublin are but who I would recommend. Go to a running shop anyway if you can.

Thanks Aquinn, I have put on hold getting my gait done for the moment, long story, problem with neutral shoes I spent 120 on, trying to get swapped for a support shoe, but have worn them outside etc etc.

Just out of interest, do the shops charge to have your gait done?, or if you are going to buy a new shoe is it covered in the cost of the shoe?.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

HugoMyBoss wrote: »
    Thanks Aquinn, I have put on hold getting my gait done for the moment, long story, problem with neutral shoes I spent 120 on, trying to get swapped for a support shoe, but have worn them outside etc etc.

Just out of interest, do the shops charge to have your gait done?, or if you are going to buy a new shoe is it covered in the cost of the shoe?.

Depends on the shop, but some will let you swap the shoes if they are that wrong for you and you've not done a lot of distance on them, but I'd question if you went to the right kind of shop if you were given a neutral one in the first place so you may just have to suck that one up. The gait analysis will be free, just make sure it is an actual running shop that you go to.

If they also sell rugby or soccer tops then go somewhere else.

Advertisement