Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Utrecht

• 12-01-2012 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am a second year student, who is looking at spending a year abroad. My degree is three years, but I have the option to do erasmus, adding another year and then i return to maynooth to finish my degree, in the fourth year.

The college I am looking at is Utrecht, in Holland. I have a few questions for any students that may currently be studying there, or even any body who lives or has lived in Holland in general.

1. I am currently a second year geography student in Maynooth, so I will be studying in the geosciences department of Utrecht. Has anybody studied in this department before?

2. How is the University of Utrecht in general? Their website looks very good, its high ranking, they seem to welcome foreign students alot too. Plus the accomodation for foreign students called SSH short stay accomodation looks good and is reasonably priced.

3. What are peoples opinions of the city of Utrecht and being a student there?

4. The economic matters... How does the Erasmus grant work? ive been told that it differs from country to country, is this true? How much can one expect to get?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 TalkToEU John

Hi all,

4. The economic matters... How does the Erasmus grant work? ive been told that it differs from country to country, is this true? How much can one expect to get?

It can depend on which country you go to. The Netherlands, which would have a higher cost of living would have a slightly higher grant.
    Contact the international officer / Erasmus coordinator in your college and they'll be able to tell you how much.

Typically, you'd expect €370 - €400 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

It can depend on which country you go to. The Netherlands, which would have a higher cost of living would have a slightly higher grant.
    Contact the international officer / Erasmus coordinator in your college and they'll be able to tell you how much.

Typically, you'd expect €370 - €400 per month.

Hiya John,

That actually exceeds what I originally though I was able to get, that would cover accomodation so that is excellent. I will be chatting to the Erasmus guides as soon as college here starts up again after the january exams, so I will definatly get a figure on it then. Thank you for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

Are you sure those figures are correct? I'm in Germany on erasmus at the minute and only receiving about 200 a month... I wouldn't have thought there would be that much difference between Germany and Holland.

tabouli wrote: »
    Are you sure those figures are correct? I'm in Germany on erasmus at the minute and only receiving about 200 a month... I wouldn't have thought there would be that much difference between Germany and Holland.

I was speaking to my erasmus officer today, she said I can expect 1200 for the year only, as its a mobility grant. Thats only about 120 a month or so for a full academic year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I can try to help with questions 1, 2 and 3.
    I am in KU Leuven, I guess not too far from Utrecht. Although I have never been, I know people who have. Also, I study in a similar field to you.

1. From what I know, Utrecht is a top university in the world for what you want to do.

2. and 3. In general, it's supposed to be a great student city, really lively and quite beautiful plus the Dutch tend to look after their students.

• Advertisement

dyl10 wrote: »
    I can try to help with questions 1, 2 and 3.
    I am in KU Leuven, I guess not too far from Utrecht. Although I have never been, I know people who have. Also, I study in a similar field to you.

1. From what I know, Utrecht is a top university in the world for what you want to do.

2. and 3. In general, it's supposed to be a great student city, really lively and quite beautiful plus the Dutch tend to look after their students.

Thanks, seems very good alright. All infi welcomed peeps !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I can't comment on the university but Utrecht is a lovely city. My cousin loves living there and it's so easy to get to the other big Dutch cities from there too.

I can't comment on the university but Utrecht is a lovely city. My cousin loves living there and it's so easy to get to the other big Dutch cities from there too.

Yeah, thats one of the reasons I want to go to Utrect, I want to visit other cities in Holland and especially in Germany like Dusseldorf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Hey, I'm currently on Erasmus on Barcelona now, and I've a flatmate here too, who studies geoscience in Utrecht. I'll ask her a few Q's for you!

Hey, I'm currently on Erasmus on Barcelona now, and I've a flatmate here too, who studies geoscience in Utrecht. I'll ask her a few Q's for you!

Awesome, thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Right, sorry for the delay. She moved back to Holland in the last week...

Here's what she said. I just copied and pasted it :)
    2: The Utrecht University is high ranked in Geoscience, I think it is a good one for foreign students because everyone speaks English and mostly deadlines and everything are stated clearly

Oh and tell him/her that SSH short stay is very good indeed, I'm looking for a room now with SSH myself. It is cheap and properly arranged

3: The city of Utrecht is located in the centre of the Netherlands, easy to reach by public transport (if there's no snow, of course :Dblank.gif) It is quite big but feels like a village to me in its low crime rate and the cosy city centre. As a student there is enough to do; bars and clubs can mostly be found in the centre but some are located outside that as well. If he goes to the campus he can joint parties and stuff there. You are close to Amsterdam, only 25min by train.

As for the Erasmus grant, I think it differs from home university to host university. I'm in UCD, and I get two seperate payments. Got the first one in October of €1200 and I get another €250 or €300 in March I believe!

Hope it helps!

Right, sorry for the delay. She moved back to Holland in the last week...

Here's what she said. I just copied and pasted it :)

As for the Erasmus grant, I think it differs from home university to host university. I'm in UCD, and I get two seperate payments. Got the first one in October of €1200 and I get another €250 or €300 in March I believe!

Hope it helps!

Nice thanks, all information helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Nice thanks, all information helps!

Utrecht is a very good city to go out in too. Bar Amsterdam it's the next best in the Netherlands. It's definitely got more to it than Leiden or Den Haag.

Raisins wrote: »
    Utrecht is a very good city to go out in too. Bar Amsterdam it's the next best in the Netherlands. It's definitely got more to it than Leiden or Den Haag.

Nice, CANT WAIT NOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

I'm currently studying here for the year and couldn't recommend it more. Fantastic opportunity and experience, I'll be gutted when finished.

PM me if you have any questions.

Fitzo wrote: »
    I'm currently studying here for the year and couldn't recommend it more. Fantastic opportunity and experience, I'll be gutted when finished.

PM me if you have any questions.

PM sent. Thanks for the reply fitzo

Advertisement