Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

So the offer seems to be 22% off
    Enter code: GOOGLEBDAY22 at checkout for a 22% discount on selected devices.

As above not valid on Pixel 4a, Pixel Buds, Pixelbook Go, and Nest Aware

T&Cs
    Promotional code offer is provided by Google Commerce Limited for use on Google Store only, and subject to the following terms. Offer ends 27th of September 2020. Available only to Ireland residents aged 18 years or older with Ireland shipping addresses. User must have internet access and must have or add a form of payment at checkout, but may not be charged depending on shipping rates in your region. Promotional codes cannot be used with guest checkout, so you must be signed-in to your Google account to redeem the code. To redeem your promotional code, visit store.google.com/ie, add the desired device to your cart, enter the promotional code during checkout to receive 22% off any product on Google Store Ireland. Promotional code offer will be applied at checkout. Promotional code must be redeemed by the 27th of September 2020 or it will expire. Not valid on Pixel 4a, Pixel Buds, Pixelbook Go, and Nest Aware. Unless otherwise stated, the offer cannot be combined with other promotions. Promotional codes are non-transferable and not valid for cash or cash equivalent. Promotional codes may be redeemed only on Google Store Ireland for eligible items as allowed by applicable laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Hi, having some trouble with my Nest doorbell and Google Home. Previously my Home used to tell me “Someone’s at the door” when the Nest was pressed but seems to have stopped.

It’s ringing the chime, and popping the alert to my phone, so it’s something not sending it to the Home, or the Home not broadcasting it.

Any idea if there’s a setting I’ve missed? I’ve searched through the Nest and Home app but can’t find anything. I can’t remember where I set it up originally.

In the Home app, when I select the doorbell, Voice Notifications are enabled on that

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Hi, having some trouble with my Nest doorbell and Google Home. Previously my Home used to tell me “Someone’s at the door” when the Nest was pressed but seems to have stopped.

It’s ringing the chime, and popping the alert to my phone, so it’s something not sending it to the Home, or the Home not broadcasting it.

Any idea if there’s a setting I’ve missed? I’ve searched through the Nest and Home app but can’t find anything. I can’t remember where I set it up originally.

In the Home app, when I select the doorbell, Voice Notifications are enabled on that

Is the doorbell and homes all on the same wifi network?

Also make sure visitor notifications is switched on in the Nest app (under settings).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2HSJHOMDyk&feature=youtu.be
    30 mins, not much of a song and dance really

Pixel 5 €618 https://store.google.com/ie/config/pixel_5?hl=en-IE
    Chromecast w/ Google TV €70, https://store.google.com/ie/product/chromecast_google_tv?hl=en-IE
    Nest Audio (souped up Nest Mini?) €99 - https://store.google.com/ie/product/nest_audio?hl=en-IE

https://store.google.com/ie/product/google_nest_hub?hl=en-IE - they've a 'new' badge beside the hub, but I think it's the same.

Shlippery wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2HSJHOMDyk&feature=youtu.be
    30 mins, not much of a song and dance really

Pixel 5 €618 https://store.google.com/ie/config/pixel_5?hl=en-IE
    Chromecast w/ Google TV €70, https://store.google.com/ie/product/chromecast_google_tv?hl=en-IE
    Nest Audio (souped up Nest Mini?) €99 - https://store.google.com/ie/product/nest_audio?hl=en-IE

https://store.google.com/ie/product/google_nest_hub?hl=en-IE - they've a 'new' badge beside the hub, but I think it's the same.

A bit disappointing..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I can't see the value in the Nest Audio, I have the older 1, a Max and a few minis. I have a couple of Nvidia Shields so no need for the Chromecast. I also have a Note 20 Ultra so no interest in the Pixel, considering they are shipping a free pair of Bose with the Pixel shows that they probably aren't updating the buds anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

A bit disappointing..

What's disappointing? We've known for weeks what was coming

Clareman wrote: »
    I can't see the value in the Nest Audio, I have the older 1, a Max and a few minis. I have a couple of Nvidia Shields so no need for the Chromecast. I also have a Note 20 Ultra so no interest in the Pixel, considering they are shipping a free pair of Bose with the Pixel shows that they probably aren't updating the buds anytime soon.

The buds are only out aren’t they?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The buds are only out aren’t they?

True they came out earlier in the year, just jumps out to me that they are pushing another brands headphones when they have their own

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Don't like the look of the new speaker, it appears to have no definition or features, just like an onion bag or something!?

I think Amazon's latest design looks much better, but won't be going down that route anyway..

Much prefer the current airfreshner design to be honest... Not sure if I need any new speakers at the moment anyway.

I did pick up a few nest protects, when they where on offer at weekend... Had to go through UK store as out of stock in Ireland, should be arriving soon now.

I suppose you can never have enough fire alarms...

• Advertisement

You can have too many of them, especially if you put 1 too close to the kitchen so everytime you burn toast the whole house goes mental.

True they came out earlier in the year, just jumps out to me that they are pushing another brands headphones when they have their own

Massive difference in the two though. Google have never sold the type of product that the Bose are. Little piddly earbuds wouldn’t be anything similar at all.

I’m definitely going to retire the Shield now (or put it on an old spare tv) for that new Chromecast.

I’m definitely going to retire the Shield now (or put it on an old spare tv) for that new Chromecast.

I don't think the new thing does gaming at all so I wouldn't be retiring it just yet, I'm also not sure about third party apps like Plex either.

Massive difference in the two though. Google have never sold the type of product that the Bose are. Little piddly earbuds wouldn’t be anything similar at all.

I was trying to decide between the Bose and the Sony XM3s for ages and I went for the Sony's mainly because the Bose has micro-usb charging, considering you'll need a different cable for your phone and free headphones it's awkward #firstworldproblems

Good point though pointing out that buds and overear headphones are completely different though, totally different products.

I’ve never used Plex or played a game on the Shield (bar the odd emulator game that really require too much messing). It’s only been used for the Netflix and YouTube apps and as a cast target. Be nice to have a remote though.

I was trying to decide between the Bose and the Sony XM3s for ages and I went for the Sony's mainly because the Bose has micro-usb charging, considering you'll need a different cable for your phone and free headphones it's awkward #firstworldproblems

Good point though pointing out that buds and overear headphones are completely different though, totally different products.

I use galaxy buds plus myself but would definitely consider owning proper over ears along with them. Buds never cover all scenarios and those Bose would be hard beat.

That's a terrible downgrade, just get a remote for the Shield

What's disappointing? We've known for weeks what was coming

True, just to see it in the flesh....

In saying that the price of the 5G handset is impressive....

That's a terrible downgrade, just get a remote for the Shield

They were always like gold dust for the shield and massively overpriced.

There’s no downgrade anyway. The chromecast will do everything I used the Shield for exactly as the Shield did, but with a remote.

• Advertisement

I use galaxy buds plus myself but would definitely consider owning proper over ears along with them. Buds never cover all scenarios and those Bose would be hard beat.

I have the buds for exercise and the over ears for everything else like work or sitting on the couch, I wouldn't be able to go back to "normal" headsets now, the nice cancelling is out of this world

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Was having trouble adding a new Hue bulb. Home just wouldn't fit it at all and kept saying 'Check my smart light'.

Tried 'Hey Google, sync my lights'. Worked straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

What do you think of the likelihood of eventually being able to remap the Netflix button on the new Chromecast remote?, I want one but that button on the remote is going to annoy me tbh.
    Still going to buy one when they let me though, my wife uses our existing Chromecast all the time to do her home fitness workouts.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Supercell wrote: »
    What do you think of the likelihood of eventually being able to remap the Netflix button on the new Chromecast remote?, I want one but that button on the remote is going to annoy me tbh.
    Still going to buy one when they let me though, my wife uses our existing Chromecast all the time to do her home fitness workouts.

Seems possible. https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/10/01/you-can-remap-the-new-chromecasts-netflix-and-youtube-remote-buttons/

I've preordered, due on the 16th.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks that's great. You must have been quick off the mark ordering all I got was a button to be added to a waitlist, oh well it will be available eventually to all.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

With the new Chromecast hosting Google TV, will that mean one would be able to install Android apps, either from the Play Store or by sideloading the APKs?

With the new Chromecast hosting Google TV, will that mean one would be able to install Android apps, either from the Play Store or by sideloading the APKs?

Yes, it's based on Android TV

Perfect, time for this salty dog to sail the seven seas aboard a different ship!

Also, I've never used Stadia, but I'm looking forward to trying out Xbox Game Steaming on it.

Haven't used Chromecast in 5 years or since switching to the Firestick for the aforementioned sideloading but this looks it could be a winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Is there any ethernet adapter for the new chromecast?

Advertisement