Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Calculating concrete needed for wedge shape?

• 03-06-2020 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My brain is stuck and I’m looking for help if you can?

I’ve an area I need to concrete and I’m trying to calculate exactly the volume I need.

It’s 150mm deep at its highest falling down to 75mm at its lowest. And it’s 3.870m long x 2.960m wide. How do I figure out the volume?

I know it’s probably basic and simple but I can’t work it out????

Thanks 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Danye wrote: »
    Hi guys,

My brain is stuck and I’m looking for help if you can?

I’ve an area I need to concrete and I’m trying to calculate exactly the volume I need.

It’s 150mm deep at its highest falling down to 75mm at its lowest. And it’s 3.870m long x 2.960m wide. How do I figure out the volume?

I know it’s probably basic and simple but I can’t work it out????

Thanks ��

Forget about the depth change. Make it 150mm and you'll have a little extra as a safety factor.

0.86m cube?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Danye

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Forget about the depth change. Make it 150mm and you'll have a little extra as a safety factor.

0.86m cube?

Even by using the 150mm depth I worked it out at approx 1.7m3?

Danye wrote: »
    Even by using the 150mm depth I worked it out at approx 1.7m3?

Which is twice mine.

LxWxH /2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Which is twice mine.

LxWxH /2

(LxWxH) x .75?

Work it out as box and half it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Work it out as box and half it.

Think only a quarter is gone or the wedge so 3/4 of the box

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Convert it to a rectangle (.075x 3.870x 2.960) = 0.86m3 with a triangle on top 3.870x.5 x .075 x 2.960 = 0.429. Total concrete = 1.289m3

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Handiest way is multiply the length by the width which is3.87*2.96=11.46.

To allow for the different depth you find the middle point between 75mm and 150mm=112.5mm or 0.1125m.

You now multiply 11.45m by 0.1125m=1.289 cubic metres.

Generally you add a fraction for settlement when vibrating/tapping. However there is nothing worse than having 2-3 barrows to get rid of. You will need to order 1.4 cubic metres of concrete

Slava Ukrainii

To allow for the different depth you find the middle point between 75mm and 150mm=112.5mm or 0.1125m.

Generally you add a fraction for settlement when vibrating/tapping. However there is nothing worse than having 2-3 barrows to get rid of. You will need to order 1.4 cubic metres of concrete

Length by width by average height gives you a cuboid, not a wedge.

Thanks very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

Bass Reeves for the win! 1.28m3 and add 10% for those voids/ uneven base and settlement gives you 1.4m3.

Length by width by average height gives you a cuboid, not a wedge.

Technically it not a wedge it a cube on top of a wedge. I just converted it to a complete cube.

Slava Ukrainii

Bass Reeves for the win! 1.28m3 and add 10% for those voids/ uneven base and settlement gives you 1.4m3.

TBF d.pop got it ahead of me but did not allow for settlement/uneven base. Mine you I have kept it tight at less than 10%. Depending on the situation only thing worse than having to find a place for extra concrete is being short of it. There is about 25 barrows in a cubic meter. So even 0.1cubic meter could be 2-3barrows. As well a lot of concrete companies will allow a small bit extra on jobs

Slava Ukrainii

Thank you all for your input. Really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mwalimu

Same idea as treating the cross-section like a trapezium, get its area and multiply by length. Ans 1.2887 cubic metres

Advertisement