Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If Fianna Fail win the next election, will we see boom time policies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭oceanman

JRant wrote: »
    Of course they are, it's just state sanctioned theft. They use workers money for their own vanity projects with little to no regards as how it should actually be spent.

Consider the amount of working people in Dublin who would benefit from a large metro project being built. No more hour long commutes from Swords to the city etc. But no, we need broadband for one off houses instead.
    so its all just about Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

They ensured the grey vote was well looked after.

Willie O Dea?

Not this budget although he pushed hard, the slieveen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They ensured the grey vote was well looked after.

That’s quite an admirable thing, the way we look after OAPs but I just wish there was a lot more honesty and appreciation about it from that section. In reality they are very well looked after compared to European peers and the image of the destitute struggling old pensioner is pretty bloody far from the reality (and thankfully so). Many working people do not get a yearly salary rise or Xmas bonus so don’t see why people on OA pensions expect and demand the same. It’s very weak government and fiscal management that panders to this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The grey vote is vital to win so they are pandered to in a way the working poor are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭JRant

oceanman wrote: »
    so its all just about Dublin?

Well it is the economic hub of the entire country and has about one quarter of the population.

Oy in gombeen politics is bringing fibre to one off houses more important than developing the capitals infrastructure.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The grey vote is vital to win so they are pandered to in a way the working poor are not.

Yes the low paid and in private rented accommodation are the worst off in society but almost invisible. Especially those just above any welfare “entitlements”

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

lola85 wrote:
    The national broadband plan is sound and anyone with a bit of sense knows that.

:):):)

I want every home in the country to have access to broadband and as a dub I don't mind paying for something I'll never use. Its good for the county. In short I'm in favour of rural broadband.

I'm not in favour of giving billions to a private company and not even owning part of the system. We are being sold a pup on this

FG are as bad as FF for playing fast and loose with my money.

lola85 wrote:
    Honestly I’m reading the NBP thread here regularly and people who know about this stuff reckon it’s a good idea.

It's not that it's a bad idea. It's the implementation of of it & the costing that's outlandish. Literally gifting billions to a pr company

lola85 wrote: »
    Willie O Dea?

Not this budget although he pushed hard, the slieveen.

The one and only, more worried about party politics than what was good for the country.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    :):):)

I want every home in the country to have access to broadband and as a dub I don't mind paying for something I'll never use. Its good for the county. In short I'm in favour of rural broadband.

I'm not in favour of giving billions to a private company and not even owning part of the system. We are being sold a pup on this

FG are as bad as FF for playing fast and loose with my money.

Everything the government has owned in the history of the state ended up been a endless black hole for money.

For once let’s not make the same mistake.

• Advertisement

lola85 wrote:
    Everything the government has owned in the history of the state ended up been a endless black hole for money.

That doesn't mean that we donate billions to a private company though.

For once let’s not make the same mistake.

The ESB is a successful model that should be replicated in other industries. Unfortunately, the cute hoors in government want their own lackies to have a large slice of the pie so that will never happen again.

JRant wrote:
    The ESB is a successful model that should be replicated in other industries. Unfortunately, the cute hoors in government want their own lackies to have a large slice of the pie so that will never happen again.

FG tried this with Irish water by having ESB handling the billing. They squandered 50 million on consultants in less than a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

FG tried this with Irish water by having ESB handling the billing. They squandered 50 million on consultants in less than a year!

The ESB? No they didn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

that was bord gais for the billing , also it wouldnt have been squandered if it went ahead..... but ofcourse the unemployed got too rowdy.

The ESB? No they didn’t.

Was it Board Gas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Depends on how brexit goes, if its soft i can see FG getting a boot up the arse, if its a hard one they maybe ok.

As a tax payer its a hard one as there are not allot of credible alternatives.

that was bord gais for the billing , also it wouldnt have been squandered if it went ahead..... but ofcourse the unemployed got too rowdy.

My mistake.

It was squandered though. They were pushed into the billing section of the Irish water money pit because they were experts in billing. FG believed that they wouldn't need consulting & definitely not 50 million worth of it. In fairness even FG ministers were astounded at what they spent on consultancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jmreire

So Harry, the "Grey Vote" IE OAP's are Pandered to in a way that the working poor are not....What about the 50 odd years they worked, and were the "working Poor" them selves??? Don't be so quick to blame the OAPs for the ill's of this Country, they are not the cause of it. It was not the OAP's who made the financial mess was it? so pick some other category to blame, banker's, politician's maybe? Leave the OAP's out of it...they have done their bit to keep the Country afloat.

jmreire wrote:
    So Harry, the "Grey Vote" IE OAP's are Pandered to in a way that the working poor are not....What about the 50 odd years they worked, and were the "working Poor" them selves??? Don't be so quick to blame the OAPs for the ill's of this Country, they are not the cause of it. It was not the OAP's who made the financial mess was it? so pick some other category to blame, banker's, politician's maybe? Leave the OAP's out of it...they have done their bit to keep the Country afloat.

I don't think he's blaming the oaps. I think he is blaming the government for bribing the oaps to vote for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

That’s the reason why the NBP isn’t sound?

Are you for real?

The poster said because it’s been rolled out to houses whether they want it or not?

Sure if we applied that logic to gas, electricity, oil, roads, train tracks n the past we would be still living like cavemen!!

You come across as someone who just wants to moan for the sake of it.

The poster said more than just that one point as you well know.

The poster said more than just that one point as you well know.

What?

That it won’t be owned by the government?

And what’s your alternative?

You’re a spoofer and you have been shown up in this thread on numerous occasions.

No credible argument.

Bitch bitch bitch, moan moan moan.

Try something different.

What?

That it won’t be owned by the government?

And what’s your alternative?

You’re a spoofer and you have been shown up in this thread on numerous occasions.

No credible argument.

Bitch bitch bitch, moan moan moan.

Try something different.

As I said you should do stand up. Btw shown up numerous times!where and by whom? I do remember you getting your ass handed to you several times particularly when you claimed a photo of an ER crowed with people on trollies was fake news only for poster to link the article from the Cork Examiner. I was actually embarrassed for you ;-)

lola85 wrote:
    The poster said because it’s been rolled out to houses whether they want it or not?

I said on another post that I'd love every home in the country to have broadband.

Where the plan fails is that it wanted bidders like air to provide better & faster broadband to rural areas cheaper than its existing customer base in Dublin. They had major issues with this. This was just one of the many flaws in the bidding process.

The mayor flaw with the broadband plan is the billions the Irish taxpayer will have to pump into the bottomless pit and never ever get any return on the investment. A private company gets the benefits of billions of taxpayers money Pumped in. We'll never own it but we will donate billions.

You say that you have followed the broadband thread. Like anything on Boards you have to be careful about who is posting what. You will find the posters making it sound like a wonderful plan are waiting at home for rural broadband. In other words what they claim may not be true. Any broadband companies that have commented have poo pooed the plan. I haven't seen any "expert" without a vested interest say that it's a good plan.

That doesn't mean that there shouldn't be a broadband plan it just means that this one is a bad one from the taxpayers point of view. Eir believe it can be done much cheaper but FG have wasted so much time on the scheme that they don't want to start from scratch as it will delay it for a few years even though it could save a billion or more.

Fast and loose with our money. Absolutely no difference between them and FF

The unemployed? There was an anti charges protest that hit the streets in Dublin which had over a 100k march are you claiming every protester was unemployed?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

road_high wrote: »
    The entitlement culture has become so engrained and our politicians have been feeding into this non sense for votes- I often get political newsletters in the door from both FF and FG TDs and pride of place is all the “entitlements” that come out of our monthly wages !

Doing what the voters, or the great majority of them, want? I believe that's called 'democracy'...

I said on another post that I'd love every home in the country to have broadband.

Where the plan fails is that it wanted bidders like air to provide better & faster broadband to rural areas cheaper than its existing customer base in Dublin. They had major issues with this. This was just one of the many flaws in the bidding process.

The mayor flaw with the broadband plan is the billions the Irish taxpayer will have to pump into the bottomless pit and never ever get any return on the investment. A private company gets the benefits of billions of taxpayers money Pumped in. We'll never own it but we will donate billions.

You say that you have followed the broadband thread. Like anything on Boards you have to be careful about who is posting what. You will find the posters making it sound like a wonderful plan are waiting at home for rural broadband. In other words what they claim may not be true. Any broadband companies that have commented have poo pooed the plan. I haven't seen any "expert" without a vested interest say that it's a good plan.

That doesn't mean that there shouldn't be a broadband plan it just means that this one is a bad one from the taxpayers point of view. Eir believe it can be done much cheaper but FG have wasted so much time on the scheme that they don't want to start from scratch as it will delay it for a few years even though it could save a billion or more.

Fast and loose with our money. Absolutely no difference between them and FF

Eir?

Show me the cost plan they have that it can be done cheaper.

You spoofer.

Before I say goodnight, what has seen the rise of FF after they brought this country to the brink of bankruptcy has been the behaviour of FG since 2011, well done FG on the rehabilitation of FF. Even the recent headlines in the papers have 3 FG politicians having to repay the state after fraudulently claiming expenses.

lola85 wrote:
    Show me the cost plan they have that it can be done cheaper.

You haven't been following the news have you? This came out two months ago but FG won't look into it because they want to sign off on the plan before the election. They are selling out the country for election votes. The sensible thing is to research the new costings but that brings us to after the election & they want your vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I know it is still extremely difficult to try and support Fianna Fail after what they did to the country, but the current shower have savaged us with taxes and cut backs and need to be obliterated at the next election.

Advertisement