Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Erasmus in France

• 20-03-2010 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi

I'm studying french in UCC, the third year of my course involves going to a french university for the year

If anyone who has been there and done that could give me any advice on where to go, what to do what not to do etc, I would appreciate it :)

I've heard Lyon is meant to be a good place to go
    I've also heard that its a complete waste of time!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭FerrisBueller

Hey,
    I'm on Erasmus right now in Aix-En-Provence which I know is a UCC option since there's a few of them knocking about!
    Honestly, the best advice I can give you is if at all possible, go alone somewhere where you don't know anyone because you'll push yourself more to speak French. I also heard Strasbourg is supposed to be full of Anglophones too. To be honest I'm not learning a whole lot in college, but if you can get a job outside of it that's where you're going to learn it all plus it's your gateway to a potential social circle outside of the Erasmus anglophone group!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm on Erasmus in Spain at the moment and I'd agree 100% with what FerrisBueller said.

Going to a place on your own is the best option. It forces you to go out there and meet new people and it's much better. Three of my friend's fro my course are in a different university in Spain and they just stick to themselves all the time. I don't think they engage with the other Erasmus students much. That's not what I'd want.

Btw, I also have a few friends in Metz and they don't seem too mad about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Did you decide on a college yet Hu? I'm going to Université Rennes 2 - Haute Bretagne next year. Can't wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭keesa

Bring money lots and lots of money. The Erasmus grant is worth nothing. So far for me, it was 1000 in October, which covered me getting started, rent, etc. It lasted til December, in February we got 450. All of which went on rent. And we haven't gotten anything since.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 theginsandwich

I'm on Erasmus in Poitiers at the moment. I'm going back to Ireland in a week (and I don't want to leave. It's been one of the best experiences of my life!). Definitely avoid staying with anglophones all the time, though mixing with the natives is difficult. They're just not as open as Irish people in my experience. Probably the best thing is to get involved with the international student organisation in the university. That way you'll meet people from all over the world, which is good in itself, but also will have to speak french because it'll be often the only language that is mutually understood. As for where to go, it depends on whether you want a large city or somewhere smaller. Classmates in Toulouse were a bit overwhelmed and took a while to get their bearings from what I hear. I've heard bad things from classmates in Brest, and a friend in Nice said that many people there speak English because it's so touristy, so think about that (plus somewhere less touristy would enable you to experience the "real" France). I had a housemate who never went out and returned to Ireland on weekends, etc., as much as possible. Do NOT do that! Push yourself to explore and meet people. in the end it's what you make of it really. I'd love to do it again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 2can

Erasmus is quite simply the best thing ever. I have never heard of anyone who didn't enjoy it. I did my year in Tours, France. Had no French going over and have a fair bit now. Hung around with other Erasmus people so I spoke English alot but lived with Frenchies. I now have friends all over the world from Aus, Texas, all over Germany, South Italy, Belgium and more. We meet up a goo bit in various cities.

The whole year cost me about 6,000e. I got the french gov grant, the CAF, because of it my rent was only 125 a month (student accom). Living expenses are a little cheaper (drinks, night clubs, public trans).

While on Erasmus I travelled loads within France and even went to Germany, Belgium and Spain.

I was ****ting myself before going but after being there 1 week I knew I had made the right decision. Best year of my life. Just do it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

Im going to aix en provence next january.
    Going over with about €3000 and hoping that will be enough right :D
    I find the communication between us and the university there isn't great though :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭FerrisBueller

Three grand will defo be enough for Aix! However it's very expensive, and very easy to spend money (unless you're broke). Get the CAF sorted immediately once you get out there, the university is an absolute nightmare, honestly it's not even worth it to take it seriously. What are you studying? You'll get an e-mail to register fairly soon, even for those in January. Send them everything immediately because they'll be no help at all! Any qs let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

Three grand will defo be enough for Aix! However it's very expensive, and very easy to spend money (unless you're broke). Get the CAF sorted immediately once you get out there, the university is an absolute nightmare, honestly it's not even worth it to take it seriously. What are you studying? You'll get an e-mail to register fairly soon, even for those in January. Send them everything immediately because they'll be no help at all! Any qs let me know.

what is the CAF?
    Aw really wow not looking forward to that! :(
    ya they have sent an email about registering but they want to know what area of study I shall be going into and there is a list of so many options none of which i could choose from
    I am doing Business and french in UL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dunnoLOL

Side question - Is it necessary to pay a contribution to french social security when doing erasmus? The college is quoting me 400 quid I wasn't expecting to pay.

Also do you need a french translation of a birth cert to claim the caf and where could you get this done? One place (translation.ie) quoted me 60 quid for it which seems steep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

dunnoLOL wrote: »
    Side question - Is it necessary to pay a contribution to french social security when doing erasmus? The college is quoting me 400 quid I wasn't expecting to pay.

Also do you need a french translation of a birth cert to claim the caf and where could you get this done? One place (translation.ie) quoted me 60 quid for it which seems steep.
    In my experience, answer is no to both your questions, my registration was about €5 I think. If you had a European Health Insurance Card (these are free), you didn't need to pay any social security contributions.

You may need a French translation of your birth cert to register at your University (only some universities look for this) but I didn't need one to register for CAF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

Sounds great, would love to go myself, knew someone who spent time in Lyon. Meant to be a nice place but she doesn't have experience of the University so not much help, sorry.
    Best of luck, whatever you choose! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Against The Head

Heading away on erasmus to france next year. Toss up between Toulouse and Bordeaux at the minute if anyone can give me any insight into which they think would be the best place to go. Any info on jobs and the likes over there would be appreciated too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Callymags

I'm thinking of heading to Montpellier, to Université Paul-Valéry Montpellier 3 next year and was wondering if anybody knows someone that has gone there. It would really help to get someones opinion on the place

Advertisement