Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Technology and interviews

• 29-09-2020 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

As most interviews are now being done through Zoom or Teams.
    How are you managing interviews? Also, what do you do when technology doesn't cooperate like not connecting or bad sound?

I don't know anymore how to read these as it was much easier in person to know if you've done good or bad.

If technology fails you is that going to mean you wont get the job regardless?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

I'm doing a bunch of interviews with DCU students today and I've done quite a few video calls in the past. What I would suggest is:

- make sure the software is installed and working on your computer as far in advance of the interview as possible. Don't get caught out trying to download and install it 2 minutes before the interview and then wonder why your camera doesn't work
    - try to keep other use of your internet connection to a minimum. Other people streaming video can degrade your call quality very badly.
    - keep background noise and interruptions to a minimum. Interviewers understand that you're at home and can't control everything but do try
    - don't move around when you're on the call. don't walk around when you have video turned on, you'll make us seasick. don't leave the house, don't go for a drink, your attention will wane and you're internet connection will be unstable. Yes people (not students) do these things during interviews!

If the call quality is really poor and you can't fix it, most interviewers will understand. You can always ask to reschedule or suggest a phone call instead of a video/online call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

If you are using video communication and having trouble connecting ask to turn off the cameras after the introductions. If your broadband is dodgy use the 4g and hotspot on your phone. A lot of jobs are using tech now (all the time, not just for interviews) so you need to show some competency in using it. Maybe call a friend using the same software to test it in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Use a headset. A mic near your mouth is 100x better than the array atop your laptop.

If you have a DSLR some can be used as a really really good looking webcam. This can really give a good impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

2 fast wrote: »
    As most interviews are now being done through Zoom or Teams.
    How are you managing interviews? Also, what do you do when technology doesn't cooperate like not connecting or bad sound?

I don't know anymore how to read these as it was much easier in person to know if you've done good or bad.

If technology fails you is that going to mean you wont get the job regardless?

I've had 2 teams interviews and several follow ups. Not had any IT/internet issues at all but I wouldn't stress about it. Bosses who are hiring are in the same situation as you, covid has caught us all off guard and a few hiccups here and there should not be fretted about we are all human. Laugh about it and show your personality much more likely to get a job then.

I use standard earphones with a built in mic to talk. A quick "can you hear me ok" will suffice when starting any teams talk. Get acquainted with the technology and you'll be grand. .

Advertisement