Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Conflicting headstone inscription

Options
  • 24-06-2015 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

What would you understand from this inscription?

In memory of Timothy who died 1891
    His wife, Anne who died 1899
    Their son John died 1922
    His wife died 1934
    Their son John died 1942
    His wife Mary died 1960
    Their son John died 1982

Timothy's wife Anne died Jan 1898 (according to death cert + Will calendar)
    Timothy's son, John died 1941 (acc. to Newspaper Death Notice+ Will calendar)
    and John's wife Mary died 1964 (according to Death Notice)

So who were John (d.1922) and wife Anne?
    Timothy had a brother John who was married to Anne. However he died 1901 and Anne died 1920 according to death records!!

Why so many errors? The names were probably inscribed much later, maybe they were only added when John died in 1982. However, you would think that Mary's other sons would have known when their mother died.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Is the inscription clear to read?
    It's not just a transcription error?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Hermy, the inscription can be read easily enough but I took a photo and enlarged it just in case.

Unfortunately, all that family were dead before I became interested in genealogy so unable to ask anyone to verify facts. I can't understand why one of John & Mary's sons who was a priest would not have noticed the mistakes. He also died in 1882 and that is why I thought that the inscriptions maybe were only added after that.

I suppose the next thing is to try to find out when the inscriptions were made and by whom.

The years inscribed are quite wide of the mark so it may be more than human error.

Are you certain the headstone relates to your people?

Genealogy Forum Mod

montgo wrote: »

Their son John died 1882

The names were probably inscribed much later, maybe they were only added when John died in 1982.

Should the inscription read 1982?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Oops, yes, John died 1982. Thanks for spotting that error.

Yes, it is the correct headstone/family.

I did ask the stonemason about a year ago but he wasn't able to help (he was very busy at the time). I don't don't know if they kept any records. I will ask him again if he can tell when the inscriptions were made.

John & Anne were recorded on the 1901 census but I couldn't find them on the 1911 Census. That is when I started searching for death records. I found a 1901 death for John, right address, right age (he was born 1828) with widow Anne as informant. I later found Anne, widow as a boarder in the local village on 1911 census.

I couldn't find any obvious death records for John (1922) or Anne (1994) on Family Search.

many thanks for replying

• Advertisement

montgo wrote: »
    I did ask the stonemason...

What about a local undertaker?
    I've seen people suggest that before as a point of contact.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Great idea, many thanks.

I will personally call in to the nearest undertakers on my next visit. Who knows, they might have some records:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

Their son John died 1922
    His wife died 1934
    Their son John died 1942
    His wife Mary died 1960
    Their son John died 1982

I guess you've got this sorted by now, but I'll add my interpretation of the inscription:

John, who died in 1922, whose wife is not named here, and who died in 1934, was the son of Timothy and Anne.
    John, who died in 1942, whose wife was Mary, was the son of John, who died in 1922.
    Finally, John, who died in 1982 was the son of John (died 1942) and Mary (died 1960).

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Up Donegal wrote: »
    Their son John died 1922
    His wife died 1934
    Their son John died 1942
    His wife Mary died 1960
    Their son John died 1982

I guess you've got this sorted by now, but I'll add my interpretation of the inscription:

John, who died in 1922, whose wife is not named here, and who died in 1934, was the son of Timothy and Anne.
    John, who died in 1942, whose wife was Mary, was the son of John, who died in 1922.
    Finally, John, who died in 1982 was the son of John (died 1942) and Mary (died 1960).

All the best.

That is what I thought also.

Up Donegal wrote: »
    Their son John died 1922
    His wife died 1934
    Their son John died 1942
    His wife Mary died 1960
    Their son John died 1982

All the best.

No, I haven't sorted it out yet:)

Referring to a chart drawn by my father in the 1970s, the John who died in 1940 & husband of Mary was the son Timothy & Anne. John and his siblings were living next door to the other John (& wife, Annie), who was in his 70s in 1901 and they did not have any children that I could find.

I am not so sure of the 1901 death record (mentioned above) for John any more, even though the address, informant (Anne) and age were correct. Another family appear to have claimed him.

Still more research to do on this one.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

The church tied to the graveyard should have all the burial records.

Have you checked with them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Swanner wrote:
    The church tied to the graveyard should have all the burial records.

You would think, right? :/

And/or the local undertakers?

Nope. Very frustrating.

Advertisement