Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leitrim Place, Dublin

• 23-08-2012 10:10am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows where exactly Leitrim Place was?
    It's not showing up in any of the usually places - OSI, Google maps etc. - so I'm hoping ye might know.
    It's listed on the 1911 Census but not the 1901.
    According to RTE's Who Do You Think You Are? it's off Grand Canal Street.
    I have two records - Edward and Alice - born there in the 1900's.
    The family lived in Grand Canal Street and appear in both the 1901 and 1911 Census returns.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Centred here: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,717360,733415,7,9
    There is a lane just beside the Grand Canal Hotel (the side further from the canal): I think that is it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It is indeed - well done PB!
    It is written in but I wouldn't have spotted it myself.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I was on Grand Canal St this morning, and decided to investigate the location. There is a short lane beside the Grand Canal Hotel, but it is not on the line of Leitrim Place: it's about 20-30m. west of it. It looks to me that Leitrim Place has been incorporated into the Grand Canal Hotel, approximately where the dining room is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kenob

I have been looking for the exact location of Leitrim Place recently. Family members lived there until the early 1980s I think. Does anyone know when it was all demolished. And is there an old map that shows its exact location ? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kenob

I forgot to add, the surname of my relatives who lived in Leitrim Place was Hannaphy. Does anyone know their current whereabouts ?

• Advertisement

Welcome to Boards @kenob.

You can view old maps of Dublin at geohive.ie and at ucd.ie.

Here's a screen grab of the map from around the turn of the century at geohive...

And here's a screen grab of an earlier map from the UCD collection when Leitrim Place was known as Hender Place...

Genealogy Forum Mod

In order to help you find out more about your Hannaphy relatives it would be best to start a new thread and give some details of what you already know about them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement