Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Heating Oil - Prices & Recommendations

• 20-11-2010 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Who are you using for your home heating oil delivery and whats their price per litre? Would you recommended them and are they quick?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

O`Neills in Culloville. 55 cents per litre. Only draw back is you have to deliver it yourself, BUT, you can borrow their bowser. You know exactly how much you are getting this way as I think a lot of deliveries are a bit on the light side. They`ll also do it a bit cheaper if you are getting 1000 litres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

is this a bowser? DCJASARCCL.jpg

How do you get the fuel out of it when you get to your tank at home? Does it work on gravity or pump?

bigneacy wrote: »

How do you get the fuel out of it when you get to your tank at home? Does it work on gravity or pump?

It works on a pump and yes that is a bowser. I got a price of 75c delivered from a local company, which is extortion. Thats a €200 saving if you can be bothered delivering it yourself. The average price in Louth at the minute is 68c.

TommyT wrote: »
    It works on a pump and yes that is a bowser. I got a price of 75c delivered from a local company, which is extortion. Thats a €200 saving if you can be bothered delivering it yourself. The average price in Louth at the minute is 68c.

Thanks for the Great info Tommy! I'll be taking a trip up there next week! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Have you not thought of why O'Neils dont deliver to the south, maybe the fact that its not legal and if you are stopped you will be paying excise duty

• Advertisement

indiewindy wrote: »
    Have you not thought of why O'Neils dont deliver to the south, maybe the fact that its not legal and if you are stopped you will be paying excise duty

O`Neills dont deliver ful stop. Its a petrol station/shop on the way into Culloville. They provide a bowser so you arent messing about with 5 gallon drums.
    Why exactly is it not legal and why would you have to pay duty on it? Should we be paying duty on our shopping from Sainsburys or should we stop all cars crossing the border and tax them on the fuel in their tanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,897 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Love that Browser concept, anything to save a few bob

Prices unfortunately have risen dramatically from this time last year. €275 got me 500 liters, this week i paid €340 and its rising locally.

It very much depends on your location, Lynch Oil in Tullamore seem to be offering best value in the Tullamore/midlands area.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Why exactly is it not legal and why would you have to pay duty on it? Should we be paying duty on our shopping from Sainsburys or should we stop all cars crossing the border and tax them on the fuel in their tanks?

Was gonna say the same thing but I just didn't have the energy or willpower to argue over a very silly statement to begin with :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Have you considered running your boiler on agri-diesel. We do and tbh it's far better than kero - lasts a lot longer.

Unfortunately it's that time again - I reckon we need a fill within 10 days.

They do say always better to fill in the summer as prices rise in winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,897 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Have you considered running your boiler on agri-diesel. We do and tbh it's far better than kero - lasts a lot longer.

Hi there, i am really curious abut this. I do know someone who uses Agri Diesel but not sure how it works.

I heard its very smokey and is not good for standard Boilers. I assume its a heck of alot cheaper than Kero.

Just curious what are the pitfalls of using agri diesel, does it damage Bolilers (Jets etc) , do you need a specific boiler for it to work?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Not smokey at all.

I've no idea of the price atm mate but much the same price as kero.

It burns hotter so your boiler will use less - this is where the savings are made.

Now a competent plumber would need to adjust the boiler - fine tune it for burning diesel but that's about it.

We have a standard boiler about 180,000 BTU but apparently a cast iron boiler would use about 30-40% less fuel due to it's ability to hold the heat.

I would never use kero again and from what I have heard - running a boiler on diesel is common amongst plumbers.

I think as long as the flue is running straight up it's not an issue and most boilers are fine with it.

2650 litres has lasted us from 24th January until probably start of december. This is for a 4200 sq ft house.

3-3500 litres is very comfortable yearly usage and if house was smaller the amount would be less.

Kero would be much higher imo - easily 5000 litres.

We do actually heat the house - office atm is 21c and heat would be on about 6-7 hrs per day.

I can pm you a decent plumber who knows what he is doing.

O`Neills dont deliver ful stop. Its a petrol station/shop on the way into Culloville. They provide a bowser so you arent messing about with 5 gallon drums.
    you obviously do not understand what I wrote, take a look at these posts
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056033670

Was gonna say the same thing but I just didn't have the energy or willpower to argue over a very silly statement to begin with :rolleyes:
    What is silly about making a statement of fact, read the other thread as you obviously dont believe what I wrote

So you have to pay duty on kerosene even though the duty has already been paid in another member state? Only in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

How much oil does one of these hold ?

Opr

Lads,

I might have this all wrong so apologies if that is the case.

I think the reason Kerosene is or can be cheaper in the north is that there is no levy be it duty or vat on home heating oil in N. Ireland.

In the south there is vat and or duty hence the price difference.

Now this only applies to Kerosene AFAIK. The petrol, diesel and agri diesel is cheaper down south.

I think over a year ago there was a primetime piece about northern entrepreneurs legally buying fuel at Dublin Port and then selling it in the north but not paying the duty/vat on it up there and making a nice return on every tanker.

The Bowser from Culloville afaik is a 1000 litre bowser.

It is illegal to bring it back yourself. Nothing illegal with O'Neills selling you the fuel but you take the risk.

The risk imo is minimal but then you have to ask yourself how much do you save on 1000 litre?

I know one or two who have done it and the major negative they had was that it can take a bit of time for the bowser to get fully empty and then of course you must bring it back!

A free bowser with every fill would certainly seal the deal!:)

The only other bit of info I heard was that in some cases across the border you can/could be sold aviation fuel which is cheaper again but won't burn in a household boiler.

I should stress only probably an issue if buying of a bloke instead of from an actual garage.

http://www.boilerjuice.com/ has both a uk & eire site so very handy to check prices for all types of fuel.

The Guvnor wrote: »
    The risk imo is minimal but then you have to ask yourself how much do you save on 1000 litre?

You will save between €100 and €150 on 1000 litres. Not a bad saving for an afternoons work.

I agree Tommy but that saving would be on Kerosense only, iirc.

We use agri-diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭10green bottles

E.K fuels Dundalk are going 65c per litre for home heating oil.

• Advertisement

The agri diesel is currently 70c a litre from Dundalk Oil.

Advertisement