Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Texture problems

Options
  • 20-01-2020 5:18pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to transition to vegetarianism and finding it difficult as I have a problem with certain textures. I don't like fake meat or processed foods at all. I really struggle with cottage pie, lasagna, bolognese etc that is made with lentils instead of meat. After a few bites I am repulsed by the texture and find I can't swallow any more. The same with curries - I like firm, chunky vegetables in a curry (cauliflower, potatoes, broccoli, chickpeas) but hand me a dish of curried butternut squash, onions, tomatoes and spinach with rice and the plate of soft textures all together has me gagging. Nuts added help somewhat, breads help, cheeses help.

Examples of veggie foods I like a lot would be quesadillas or nachos with with beans, guac/salsa (lots of chew and crunch textures), crisp salads involving cheese and nuts, aubergine parmagiana, pasta bakes, falafels. A lot of these take quite a while to prepare.

But so often I prepare a vegetarian meal and find the resulting mush factor so unappealing. Many of the dishes shown in the "The vegged up here's what I ate for dinner last night" thread look very unappealing to me for texture reasons.

Anyone else like this and have any tips to overcome, or can you recommend some good textured dishes? TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

There was a teacher on Operation Transformation last night and he was repulsed when eating vegetables. Carrots, broccoli, he gagged and threw the meals in the bin. At the start.
    Now, with persistence, he has no trouble and is slowly changing his shape, health and life.

Find a couple of go to meals you like until you, well, find more. Maybe someone else here can be more specific. There are loads out there and you'll probably find plenty in this long recipe list
    https://uk.veganuary.com/recipes

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Sounds like you're on the spectrum, texture issues red flag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

Fish n chips?

Why not eat vegetable based meals instead of trying to replicate meat?

Fish n chips?

Why not eat vegetable based meals instead of trying to replicate meat?

People like to eat what's familiar when changing the diet. It makes it easier.

Well I am not a veggie but we eat a brill chili con carne made with Quorn every week sometimes twice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Suggestions so far: you're autistic, just eat vegetables, eat fish.

Thanks this has been really unhelpful. Mod feel free to close the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

I love a plate of lightly-steamed veggies: a few minutes at the most. Cauli, broccoli, sprouts (yes!), carrots, broad beans, peas etc.

Add a couple of roasties with crunchy skins: beetroot (mmmm), parsnip, potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnip (nom), carrot.

The secret with roasties is to get the temperature up high enough to crisp the skin and roast for appropriate lengths of time to your taste: eg, potatoes take longer than sweet potatoes. Once you're good at it, everything comes out at the same texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Maybe try dry dishes like falafel, celery schnitzel, crispy fried tofu, vegetable tempura, baked butternut squash or courgette, haloumi etc. and serve them with the sides that you like.

Baked tofu would work alright. Many ways if getting it crispy.
    Yellow split peas not overcooked are crunchy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I'm trying to transition to vegetarianism and finding it difficult as I have a problem with certain textures. I don't like fake meat or processed foods at all. I really struggle with cottage pie, lasagna, bolognese etc that is made with lentils instead of meat. After a few bites I am repulsed by the texture and find I can't swallow any more.

Try some of the fake meat substitutes instead of lentils? There are quite a few fake meat alternatives out there and they are quite different. I don't like any of the quorn stuff, but I do like some of the Linda McCartney sausages and burgers (I've broken the mozzarella burgers up and put into lasagne before). I don't like plain Oumph! at all, but the kebab one is very nice in stir fry and wraps (very different texture).
    The same with curries - I like firm, chunky vegetables in a curry (cauliflower, potatoes, broccoli, chickpeas) but hand me a dish of curried butternut squash, onions, tomatoes and spinach with rice and the plate of soft textures all together has me gagging. Nuts added help somewhat, breads help, cheeses help.

First obvious suggestion is to just always put a firm veg in your curry. But have you tried toasted pitta bread or naan bread instead of rice?
    Examples of veggie foods I like a lot would be quesadillas or nachos with with beans, guac/salsa (lots of chew and crunch textures), crisp salads involving cheese and nuts, aubergine parmagiana, pasta bakes, falafels. A lot of these take quite a while to prepare.

Get a sandwich press like this one (i.e. with smooth panels, not ridged ones):
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4UV2kk0tHrVRaXw8jrWY5XN5CcxCHzCM_eVBb6R8Cr7fGJtkB&s
    Get wraps (plain, garlic, tomato whatever you like)
    Sauce (I like cajun ketchup, my wife likes cajun mayo, chili sauce is nice too)
    Chopped fresh veggies straight from fridge (eg Peppers, onions, spring onions, corn etc.)
    Cheese if you like (grated cheddar, smoked jalepino cheese from Lidl).
    Wrap all up and toast on sandwhich press.

If you chop up a load of veggies and store in fridge in advance, then it takes about 1 minute to setup each wrap and a few minutes to toast (I like the wrap well toasted, nice and crispy). Nice crispy toasted wrap.

• Advertisement

Try this and see if you can say its crap. it has a taste of its own which is addictive after 3rd mouthful.

1 onion sliced
    1 whole Garlic crushed
    6 chopped tomatoes
    1/3 tube of tomato puree
    1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
    1 teaspoon of chilie powder
    5 teaspoons of bisto gravy powder
    i/2 bag of quorn
    Schwartz chilli con carne mix
    Tin of kidney beans.
    Brown rice

Put chilli mix and gravy powder in 400mm water and mix.

Cook tomatoes and tomato puree in saucepan with pepper and chillie powder until like thick soup.

Large frying pan spoonful of oil then Fry onion until soft.....add crushed garliic and fry but keep stirring do not let garlic burn.......add thawed Quorn stir and fry until you think its ok.

Add chili con carne mix and water and stir quickly as it will thicken............then quickly add tomatoes and beans and keep stirring make sure heat is just gentle simmer now. You may need to add water or if too much allow to cook away. Gentle cook and stir for about 20 minutes.

Serve with rice plenty for 2 people and you wont leave a drop.

Approx 900 calories hardly any fat no meat and no cholesterol. Cost about 4.00 euro each....Meal to die for especially on cold days.

The chilli mix can be used for lots of things like wraps, sausages, spread on chips, with mashed potato, anything.

Complete veggie meal....in less than an hour and a dummy could do it........and this is a huge meal for 2 but you will want more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

There actually are a few great ideas here, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Baked tofu has a chewier texture. Tempeh is a very firm texture. Try and add crispy/crunchy elements to your dishes, like crispy potatoes, edamame beans (very firm textured) or corn on the cob. Or try to incorporate raw veggies for super crunch! Cook your own beans and then you can make sure they are cooked just right, so they're not mushy.

The quorn mince is good in bolognese and such, but maybe some halved and fried mushrooms mixed in would help break up the mushy mouthfeel, they add a meaty chew.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭worker bee

Croutons and seeds might help.
    Sunflower seeds roasted in a pan or on a piece of tin foil on a grill are really tasty. A splash of soy sauce on them and they are a lovely snack on their own or as a topping.

Toasted cashew nuts are tasty too. And if you don't want to make your own croutons you could buy a few packs in Aldi or other shops. They are quite salty and probably not the healthiest but handy as a topping on a blander/softer meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

par cook vegetables so they are still crunchy, make curry sauce (or white sauce or whatever) seperately add 2 together dont cook for too long otherwise vegetables become mushy. hey presto crunchy vegetables in sauce

Advertisement