Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

4 bed house with 5 bedrooms

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

From the point of view of marketing , it looks better to sell the house as
    a 4 bed house,
    especially if the bedroom downstairs is right beside the kitchen ,
    or the front room,
    4 bedrooms is enough for most people .
    the new buyer will probably use it as a tv room, or even as a utility room for storage .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

riclad wrote: »
    From the point of view of marketing , it looks better to sell the house as
    a 4 bed house,
    especially if the bedroom downstairs is right beside the kitchen ,
    or the front room,
    4 bedrooms is enough for most people .
    the new buyer will probably use it as a tv room, or even as a utility room for storage .
    partly agree as in more of a usual search trend would be 3-4 bed house, as those would be most viewed criteria, assuming most would think that 5bed would be lager or even separate house, or cost more so in simple terms estate agent just follows the trend with 4bed converted garage would draw more attention.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I thought the biggest search trend would be location and price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I Think people search for location ,price, and no of bedrooms,.
    someone with 3 kids is not going to buy a one bed house.
    someone who works in dublin is not going to buy a house in kerry
    even it is cheap and has 4 bedrooms .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Just because someone sleeps in a room does not mean it is a bedroom. Equally just because someone does not sleep in a room does not mean it is not a bedroom. A house originally built as a 5 bedroom house will typically have other rooms larger than those found in houses built with fewer bedrooms. Therefore the sitting room, dining room kitchen et cetera will be proportionately larger. Adding a room to a house originally built as a 4 bedroom house will not increase the size of the other rooms. The house essentially retains its character as a 4 bedroom house notwithstanding the addition of another room. I know a man who demolished his house and rebuilt it rather than extend as an extended house is simply not the same as a house originally built as a complete unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Why don't people use Area of the home, instead of bedrooms. Its utterly bizarre.

I have seen a 4 bed and 3 bed in a very similar location. Both in need of a bit of updating.
    4 bed property was 1000 sq feet 185,000
    3 bed property was 1500 sq feet 160,000

I actually viewed both, and the 3 bed property could have been turned into a 4 bed easily enough by changing the layout up stairs(Brought a builder). So more property for less money is just really bizarre.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Why don't people use Area of the home, instead of bedrooms. Its utterly bizarre.

I have seen a 4 bed and 3 bed in a very similar location. Both in need of a bit of updating.
    4 bed property was 1000 sq feet 185,000
    3 bed property was 1500 sq feet 160,000

I actually viewed both, and the 3 bed property could have been turned into a 4 bed easily enough by changing the layout up stairs(Brought a builder). So more property for less money is just really bizarre.

Because, going by some posters above you, that 3 bed house will always be a 3 bed house!
    I don't believe it myself, as you can add additional bedrooms subject to them complying with the minimum standards.

I know a man who demolished his house and rebuilt it rather than extend as an extended house is simply not the same as a house originally built as a complete unit.

Very unusual approach as it would then bring that new house in the requirements for all the most up to date planning and Building Regulations.
    I suspect there was more to this story than meets the eye.

Also, there would be a public record of it on the Council Website, so it would be interesting to see the description and documentation please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

kceire wrote: »
    Very unusual approach as it would then bring that new house in the requirements for all the most up to date planning and Building Regulations.
    I suspect there was more to this story than meets the eye.

Also, there would be a public record of it on the Council Website, so it would be interesting to see the description and documentation please.

It is not at all unusual. It has been done around Dublin a number of times. There have been many more facade only remaining with a full rebuild happening behind the original facade. The first one I knew of had got a quote of 130k to build an extension and was able to fully rebuild for 180k. the rebuilt house was work far more that the extended one would have been. Soe Sei-ds around Blackrock in Dubin have had extensions costing 300k added to them. A full rebuild would have been better. Around Castleknock several 1960s houses were demolished and rebuilt.

Advertisement