Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Could this be why there's a power cut in the louusburgh Westport area, I lost power around 11pm

Checked the watch when I saw it and it was more or less bang on 11. I don't know much about its possible effects on power but it was fairly spectacular looking even on a bright moonlit night like tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Rougies

Could this be why there's a power cut in the louusburgh Westport area, I lost power around 11pm
    Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    Checked the watch when I saw it and it was more or less bang on 11. I don't know much about its possible effects on power but it was fairly spectacular looking even on a bright moonlit night like tonight.

Sounds like a classic case of a transformer blowout.

Rougies wrote: »
    Sounds like a classic case of a transformer blowout.

Timing seems somewhat coincidental alright. I have checked powercheck site and there is a fault in the Louisburgh area since 11.03pm affecting 525 customers. My own location is the best part of 50 km from Louisburgh however so I am still slightly curious as to why I might have seen what I thought may have been a fireball nearly directly overhead. Anyhow, it made for a more interesting walk.

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    Timing seems somewhat coincidental alright. I have checked powercheck site and there is a fault in the Louisburgh area since 11.03pm affecting 525 customers. My own location is the best part of 50 km from Louisburgh however so I am still slightly curious as to why I might have seen what I thought may have been a fireball nearly directly overhead. Anyhow, it made for a more interesting walk.

The light from the blowout reflected by high cloud probably. They are very potent sources of light and are often confused for lightning, meteors and/or aliens.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

An utterly still and silent morning out here. Bliss... Just lovely and such deep peace. A moon up there, smiling in silver splendour. Skies and lands outlined

To be enjoyed and rested in. Soon will change but for now; live for the moment.. Will be off out with the cats shortly as it is so light with even the moon...

Happy day..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

It's the frostiest morning of winter so far in Dublin 5, again, wasn't expecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Lovely crisp frosty morning ,mornings like these sadly lacking this winter and only my 3rd air frost this winter so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Difference in temp around the country is amazing. No Frost in cork city this morning and feeling a bit mild compared to yesterday, about 7-8 degrees. At least it's dry, not going to complain that!

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Cracking hoar frost here this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Difference in temp around the country is amazing. No Frost in cork city this morning and feeling a bit mild compared to yesterday, about 7-8 degrees. At least it's dry, not going to complain that!

Fierce mild here on the south coast this morning alright.

• Advertisement

Quite an impressive ring around the moon this evening as viewed in the west. Bit of a cool bite to that freshening breeze also.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Left Trim @ 8.15 am this morning. Car completely free of frost & outside temperature guage showing 4 degrees. 20 minutes later, arrived in Navan, temperature 1 degree & the place white-outed with frost. Bizzarre.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

***Not safe for tabloid journalists***

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Dew points starting to fall fast. Only a matter of time before we see snow showers forming over the next 12 hrs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Dew points starting to fall fast. Only a matter of time before we see snow showers forming over the next 12 hrs

showers are already falling as sleet in places, particularly in the North-West and over high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,917 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Wind and rain just arrived in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Gonzo wrote: »
    showers are already falling as sleet in places, particularly in the North-West and over high ground.

Unfortunately nothing here in nw Donegal yet other than rain. I’m sandwiched between the mountains and the sea. Looking forward to seeing the scenery in the morning. Fingers crossed for a dusting!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Tomorrow or Tuesday still sees the potential for a near record or possibly even record breaker (for the time of year) AO value:

6IfNZPB.png

Looks like it will come in around 6.0 or a little over. We'll see.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well that was a mad day weather wise. Haven't seen the likes of it in years.

It was actually worse here in Dublin today then during any other recent storms including Ophelia.

Thankfully it was a Sunday so a lot of people could stay at home.

I hope it's not followed by snow cant stand it.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately nothing here in nw Donegal yet other than rain. I’m sandwiched between the mountains and the sea. Looking forward to seeing the scenery in the morning. Fingers crossed for a dusting!

Just high wind and water out here too, west mayo offshore, so joining you in your hopes!

appledrop wrote: »
    Well that was a mad day weather wise. Haven't seen the likes of it in years.

It was actually worst here in Dublin today then during any other recent storms including Ophelia.

Thankfully it was a Sunday so a lot of people could stay at home.

I hope it's not followed by snow cant stand it.

I think you got what we got on Saturday. It was easier out here y'day than then

Stay warm and worry not

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

I only come here as i love the snow (for the kids :cool:) just read on Netweather?? They've chucked the towel in,winter is over officially now,nothing on the horizon,bit early to throw the towel in is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well, the prospects aren't great if you live where the majority of those posters do, but for us, and those in the north of England and Scotland, we could see conditions similar today and tomorrow over the next month or so. However, if you're after a prolonged freeze from from the east or north east , which is what most of the posters over on Netweather are after, then, you may well view this "winter as over"

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Well, the prospects aren't great if you live where the majority of those posters do, but for us, and those in the north of England and Scotland, we could see conditions similar today and tomorrow over the next month or so. However, if you're after a prolonged freeze from from the east or north east , which is what most of the posters over on Netweather are after, then, you may well view this "winter as over"
    350.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just saw a picture of lough derg in Tipperary - covered in snow, so pretty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

There was a light sleet shower in Dublin 9 an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭kirving

Possibly a bit specific, but not deserving of it's own thread.

A few years ago I signed up to a free website run by a Scottish (?) university. It allowed a user to download the latest visible/IR satellite pictures in hi-res of Ireland.

Would anyone have the name of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,917 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Sleeting in waterford city now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Heavy snow in Rush, NCD the last 10 minutes...

Advertisement