Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you decided about the Lisbon Treaty?

• 22-09-2009 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

So we're fast approaching the polling date for the second Lisbon Treaty referendum and in order to help you decide (if you haven't already), we've two new items which may help.

The first is the Lisbon Treaty Answers forum - this is a place with facts and not discussion as our European Union Politics forum caters for. We have invited campaigners from both sides of the argument to provide facts in answer to some very basic questions.

Running along side this, we will be hosting our very own debate on the issue made up by you, the members. We're going to have two teams of four people in a structured debate hosting on our Debating forums. You can read more about that and sign up here. We want to have our teams in place and ready to talk tactics with one another by Thursday evening.

We hope we can help the nation decide on how they'll vote and help you make the right decision.

Dav

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭burner2009

can any one fill me in on this whole lisborn treaty thing cause to be honest dont have a clue what its all about:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I have made up my mind and know whats I am going to vote :)

Would love to see the arguments though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

VOTE NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 NiamhEile

Don't get time to visit this site much, but I was just visiting this evening to talk about this very subject, or to read what others have written about it. All I can say right now is that I will be voting a big fat NO!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 the entity

no not yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭fligedlyflick

i decided the moment brian cowen ignored our vote and went back to the EU to apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I decided and cast my ballot there in June 2008!

Seems they couldn't take NO for an answer! and ignored our votes and are forcing us to vote again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

If it means Brian Cowen will have to resign I will definitely vote NO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Exon

Vote yes or we'll be left out like backwards Ireland usually is.

Vote no if you want to be backwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Hi,

I'll be voting the same as last time - a very definite No.

Noreen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭redorblack

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

Cant see why to say yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

I'll vote NO
    Hopefully this will help rid us of the self centered fools that run this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 RYR154

No Vote for me thank you very much :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 regularjohn

Well all the no advocates have convinced me.

Im not afraid of a EU Army.
    Im not afraid of a federal EU.

I am 31 and was brought up in the 80s and have never really experienced a life that didnt have financial worries. I have seen politicians really lie. I have known politicians who have gone on air and lied. I have seen people with money make allot more.

I suppose i think of myself as a regular guy, happy but at the same time life is a bit of a struggle. Everything i work very hard and honestly for is now worthless as the greedy have in there wisdom and ability taken from me and my familys future. I cant see how the powers that be can be any worse than those in brussells. If anything an absence of real power locally may reboot the system, inject some honesty and morality.

With little or no faith in FF FG Lab I VOTE YES. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 W.ill

The treaty of lisbon gives almost unlimited power to the EU, dispossesses the member countries of their veto (which ensures small countries have no chance to influence any EU decisions in the future), and simply goes against everything the people who liberated Europe from dictatorship 65 years ago fought and died for - a free europe of sovereign nations (in which decisions like the French, Dutch and Irish "no" to this constitution/"treaty" are respected).
    I hope, the Irish keep that and the sacrifices of the founding fathers of the Republic of Ireland in mind, when they go to vote on the incapacitation of their country. An Irish yes will create a European super state, trash the constitutions of all member countries of the EU (including Irelands'), and will trigger the beginning of the end of the European Union. A super state of unlimited power, free from any democratic influence, will definitely lead to increasingly
    determined opposition and growing rejection of European integration, in the worst case to a european civil war (in which the enemies of europe will have a huge majority). Countries like catholic, conservative Ireland, the protestant and liberal Netherlands, and the post-communist, poor country of Bulgaria have different traditions, cultures and histories, and that's why they have different laws, public opinions and sentiments. Forcing them into a federal government will inevitably destruct these positive differences, which the people of these nations admire and take pride in. Ireland (probably) will never have the same abortion laws as the UK, Italy will never have the same euthanasia laws as the Netherlands, and the French won't have the same speed limits on motorways as the Germans (unless the Treaty is ratified - or do you believe a politicians word is worth more than a written contract?). Why? Because the people of these nations have different opinions on these rules/laws. We can have our different cultures, opinions and policies while still respecting each other/while coexisting and cooperating peacefully, so there's no reason to force all these nations to create a federal government that doesn't respect and worship these local traditions. If we do decide to have a common, federal government, all the people of Europe, whatever nation they live in, should have their vote on such a vital step.

Therefore, in the name of all democratic people of Europe, I ask the Great people of Ireland to say NO to the treaty of Lisbon. That way you would express the opinion of the majority of the European people (who never had their voices heard, or were ignored if they did), and would teach the European Union a lesson not to take the wise people of Ireland for fools (or blackmailing them) by asking them the same question repeatedly until they like the answer (and trying to threaten them with legally impossible consequences incase of a refusal).
    In the newspapers across Europe, the Irish were branded "heroes" when they rejected the Treaty last time, and I hope your choice to keep the EU a union of free, sovereign nations will prevail.

We all wish the people of Ireland the very best, and hope you will choose wisely on friday.
    I hope I'll be celebrating your rescue of the European Union at the local Irish pub that evening.

Thank you very much,
    Le gach dea-ghui

Alexander Thomas
    from Vienna, Austria

PS: Sorry, my English isn't perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 6 SPEED

I'd recommend everyone in voting No .

If we vote Yes, the minimum wage could be lower to as little as €1.84 .

''If you don't know, Vote No''

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement