Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dog Settling at night

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP; how is it going please? Not been here lately..

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

Graces7 wrote: »
    OP; how is it going please? Not been here lately..

He is getting on great at night time. He happily goes straight into his bed after his night time wee and then we don't hear from him. One night he woke up barked at around 3 am and my partner had to go down to settle him, but once he was settled he slept through again. We figure that it will probably happen now and then and something must have set him off, but for the most part we are all getting more sleep.

He does not like to go in there during the day, and we have to move his cushion/blanket out of there for him to settle at all during the day. If i don't he is liable to go back to chewing the blinds if he is lefton his own. Once his bed is out then he won't. He likes to sit by the fridge in front of the glass on his bed and he is happy out.

Leaving him on saturday night was not good. He knew it wasn't bed time and did not want to go into his bed. I gave him an egg carton with treats in it and left his kong for him too but he got very distressed. We got home and he had pooped in the house, chewed up the blinds and we know he had barked quite a lot while we were gone from checking in on the camera. So we are going back to basics this week and randomly leave him for short periods of time during the day and build it up.

All sounds very good. Well done! And it really is early days yet. And now you are getting a good sleep at night everything will be easier for you.

Just a quick update. Finally got his crate. Its a little big for him as its a hand me down from a friend. We have had it set up in another room for a few days and just let him have a good sniff and put a few treats in there. No pressure just let him investigate. Today we moved it into the kitchen and put his bed, toys and water bowl in there. He ignored it all morning and my plan was to do a little targeted training this evening to try and get him to sit in it while I made dinner. And maybe wait until tomorrow to leave him there overnight.

Been watching him on the camera for a while and he has been happily sleeping in it with the door open for the afternoon. came out when someone knocked at the door but went back in and back asleep. We had covered it with a blanket to make it cosy but he pulled the blanket off before he got in. Will see if he will stay in with the door closed while I cook like I did when we first put up the baby gate but think we might be ok to have him sleep in it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Sounds pretty positive, zedhead. Let us know what happens.

• Advertisement

Bed time is not going well again. But I don't think it has anything to do with the crate. I think its down to the medication he is on. I mentioend in another thread we have been given anxicalm for him to help with the fireworks. It has worked for the most part - except for the really early fireworks before we have given him his tablet or the super loud ones that sound like bombs going off.

The first night we gave it to him about an hour before his dinner and he went a bit mad for the hour, scavenging for food and running around th eplace - just would not relax. Then we started giving it to him at his dinner after his training and it helped him settle fairly quickly and he is fairly relaxed quite quickly. The problem comes at bed time. We usually let him out for a wee and then he goes straight into his bed. I sit with him for 5 minutes and then we don't hear a peep. But since he's been on the medication going outside seems to wake him up and he goes into absolute overdrive. Scavenging for food, running around. Will not settle in bed at all whether its in the crate or behind the baby gate. Pawing at the gate and crying. The vet suggested giving him half his dinner earlier and keeping the other half for night time, but that didn't help as when he finished that he just wanted more.
    Also he is now waking up between 2am and 3am for a wee and a poo, which has never been a problem. He has held it from 10pm to 8am before (though I usually am out with him at 6am) but every night without fail he has woken up barking and crying to be let out - then when he comes in he is wired again and it takes 30 mins for him to settle. Last night I didn't wake to his barks initially and after 10 mins of low barking (watching the camera back) he wee'd in his bed and then got really agitated which woke us and I went down to let him out.

My partner thinks we should start to wean him off the medication and drop to half a tablet tonight and see if it helps. I am a bit concerned because he is noticebly less stressed by the fireworks (apart from the fact he does not want to be walked after 5pm anymore, just drags us back to the car). But he was shedding a ridiculous amount since the fireworks started and since being on the medication he is back to shedding a normal amount whch i think is a clear sign he is less stressed. But again after a week of broken and difficult sleep I am feeling the affects.

zedhead wrote: »
    Bed time is not going well again. But I don't think it has anything to do with the crate. I think its down to the medication he is on. I mentioend in another thread we have been given anxicalm for him to help with the fireworks. It has worked for the most part - except for the really early fireworks before we have given him his tablet or the super loud ones that sound like bombs going off.

The first night we gave it to him about an hour before his dinner and he went a bit mad for the hour, scavenging for food and running around th eplace - just would not relax. Then we started giving it to him at his dinner after his training and it helped him settle fairly quickly and he is fairly relaxed quite quickly. The problem comes at bed time. We usually let him out for a wee and then he goes straight into his bed. I sit with him for 5 minutes and then we don't hear a peep. But since he's been on the medication going outside seems to wake him up and he goes into absolute overdrive. Scavenging for food, running around. Will not settle in bed at all whether its in the crate or behind the baby gate. Pawing at the gate and crying. The vet suggested giving him half his dinner earlier and keeping the other half for night time, but that didn't help as when he finished that he just wanted more.
    Also he is now waking up between 2am and 3am for a wee and a poo, which has never been a problem. He has held it from 10pm to 8am before (though I usually am out with him at 6am) but every night without fail he has woken up barking and crying to be let out - then when he comes in he is wired again and it takes 30 mins for him to settle. Last night I didn't wake to his barks initially and after 10 mins of low barking (watching the camera back) he wee'd in his bed and then got really agitated which woke us and I went down to let him out.

My partner thinks we should start to wean him off the medication and drop to half a tablet tonight and see if it helps. I am a bit concerned because he is noticebly less stressed by the fireworks (apart from the fact he does not want to be walked after 5pm anymore, just drags us back to the car). But he was shedding a ridiculous amount since the fireworks started and since being on the medication he is back to shedding a normal amount whch i think is a clear sign he is less stressed. But again after a week of broken and difficult sleep I am feeling the affects.

Dratted fireworks. I read that they were trying to stop them? If the nighttime toileting is new since the meds, have you asked the vet if that is a side effect? Or maybe google to see it others have found this?

From your posts looks as if the meds are?? causing new issues?

Graces7 wrote: »
    Dratted fireworks. I read that they were trying to stop them? If the nighttime toileting is new since the meds, have you asked the vet if that is a side effect? Or maybe google to see it others have found this?

From your posts looks as if the meds are?? causing new issues?

I mentioned the night time toilet visits and she said it was unusual and hadn't heard of it. The increased appetite is a known side effect, as is clumsiness and lack of coordination which he is definitely displaying too.

I know we can;t take his water off him at night, but because he is so alert he does seem to be drinking more at bed time than he usually does so probably linked.

zedhead wrote: »
    I mentioned the night time toilet visits and she said it was unusual and hadn't heard of it. The increased appetite is a known side effect, as is clumsiness and lack of coordination which he is definitely displaying too.

I know we can;t take his water off him at night, but because he is so alert he does seem to be drinking more at bed time than he usually does so probably linked.

sigh.. Maybe your partner is right?

Advertisement