Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Has anyone used a GIFT voucher to book flights with Ryanair?

When seeking a refund were you refunded cash for this or were you offered another voucher in it's place?

Last December I part paid for flights with a gift voucher. They will only refund me with a voucher for the gift voucher portion.

They have an expiry date of 1 year. But under new regulations gift vouchers (which I am being reissued) they have a shelf life of 5 years. Surely my reissued gift voucher should have a shelf life of 5 years?

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/gift-vouchers/

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

pc7 wrote: »
    Torture, hope you get sorted. As cute as RA tend to be business wise, I think a lot of people will think twice before dealing with them again, I know I will.

Just got the refund email for same date as you !

Has anyone used a GIFT voucher to book flights with Ryanair?

When seeking a refund were you refunded cash for this or were you offered another voucher in it's place?

Last December I part paid for flights with a gift voucher. They will only refund me with a voucher for the gift voucher portion.

They have an expiry date of 1 year. But under new regulations gift vouchers (which I am being reissued) they have a shelf life of 5 years. Surely my reissued gift voucher should have a shelf life of 5 years?

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/gift-vouchers/

Yes
    This is on my other booking and I don’t have the energy to fight them over 50 euro now
    Basically I got gift voucher in November and booked flight then for July . Flight was cancelled by them
    Voucher reissued with expiry of this November

I’m sure it’s probably not legal but not sure I have the energy to follow it up any longer

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

Anyone know the quickest way of getting speaking to someone either by phone or live chat? Waiting for the past 2 hours on Ryanair chat and still no response.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    Anyone know the quickest way of getting speaking to someone either by phone or live chat? Waiting for the past 2 hours on Ryanair chat and still no response.

DM on twitter can work, I'd say they sent a shed load of those 'use your voucher' emails yesterday and everyone is cracking up. I got on straight away on chat yday.

Hope you get sorted.

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    Yes
    This is on my other booking and I don’t have the energy to fight them over 50 euro now
    Basically I got gift voucher in November and booked flight then for July . Flight was cancelled by them

I’m sure it’s probably not legal but not sure I have the energy to follow it up any longer

Mine are for €200. I will fight them for either a cash refund or a GIFT card refund with a 5 year use by date.
    I won't accept a Ryanair voucher with a one year date.

In my opinion they are issuing a new gift card, so the new rules (5 years)
    should apply.

Yes

The email that they sent me was as follows.

The amount refunded to your credit/debit card/method of payment is

EUR-50.00 Payment Method:

EUR-129.66 Payment Method

My payment method and yours was by Gift Card. They have stated that they will refund us as per "Payment Method". In my case €150 was by way of gift card, €129.66 was by Visa. They have refunded my Visa.

They are insisting that I will get my refund in the same manner as I paid.

I don't believe that they can replace a Gift Card that has a 5 year use by date with a Ryanair Voucher with a 1 year date. This is not like for like.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/gift_vouchers.html#la071c

The email that they sent me was as follows.

The amount refunded to your credit/debit card/method of payment is

EUR-129.66 Payment Method

My payment method and yours was by Gift Card. They have stated that they will refund us as per "Payment Method". In my case €150 was by way of gift card, €129.66 was by Visa. They have refunded my Visa.

They are insisting that I will get my refund in the same manner as I paid.

I don't believe that they can replace a Gift Card that has a 5 year use by date with a Ryanair Voucher with a 1 year date. This is not like for like.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/gift_vouchers.html#la071c

Update. I was being optimistic. They have issued a new gift card but not with an expiry date of 1 year.....the expiry date is January 2021. Only 4 months.

I have waited 6 months for them to issue this new gift card and this is what they do. They have absolutely no consideration for what they have done to their customers.

Never Never Never suggest to someone to give you a Ryanair Gift Card. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It opens at 6am. Get on before 9am and wait should be short enough

• Registered Users Posts: 28,774 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I happened to be up at 6am (when Live Chat opens up) this morning, and got on to someone straight away.

I got an email with flight changes two days ago, offering free change or refund. Original flight was in October, we've reschedued the whole thing to next April.

In order to avail of free change, you had to contact customer services so I was at the ready on the button of 6am. I was very surprised to hear that I could only change to the next available flight - to change to another later date you had to cancel and rebook...... their email definitely didn't make that clear!

However, the straight booking option was about €40 cheaper than rebooking off the link in the email (and that was before the €35 change charge) - so win win in my book.

I'll just consider the refund (if/whenever I get it) as a surprise bonus!

Got the voucher email early today, and opted for the refund, so the waiting game begins......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

Ok so eventually got through to them they said that I am now added to the refund list (Thought I was added to the refund list back in June when flights got cancelled) and will have full refund within 3 weeks. I'll not hold my breath.

Asked them for a confirmation email stating I am in refund list and will get refund within the timeframe they said but have received nothing yet.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I happened to be up at 6am (when Live Chat opens up) this morning, and got on to someone straight away.

I was on to them for 4 hours yesterday. The first person I chatted with was Karolina who really didn't want to know or understand what my query was.

She basically tried to fob me off on to another department then ended the discussion abruptly. She never even offered me a transcript of the conversation.

I contacted them again. This time I got on to Kinga P. Basically the same as above but made a little more effort. Then ended the discussion before anything was resolved. She never offered me a transcript of the conversation either.

Contacted them a third time. This time got chatting to Joanna. Much more helpful than the other two. Tried to understand my query and actioned a follow up email from a different department. She did offer me a transcript of our conversation.

They have some really crap staff dealing with customer enquiries and some helpful staff.

It's down to luck really.

Having said that.....I am not really happy with the follow up email that Joanna actioned but at least I have it moving again after 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

ciaeim wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    Is their a contact number for Ryanair and an email address that you can contact them with ? Waiting for refund since April and can’t seem to get any replies to emails sent ? Any help appreciated. Thanks

Got my refund today after almost 5 months waiting. Better late than never ðŸ‘

I have another holiday booked since earlier in the year to the canaries in the middle of October. Does anyone know if these flights will be going ahead ? Don’t want to go at the moment for obvious reasons. What is my best course of action or do i have any ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Hi all.

My card issuer has told me I am outside of the time frame to claim a refund from them re cancelled flights.
    I was holding on expecting Ryanair to refund me, having emailed them several times hence why I was late going to my bank as a last resort.
    I have (yet again) got the email from Ryanair about if I want a refund to click a link..this is despite me doing this 2 times already and sending emails!
    Jesus wept.

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Refund in my account today, thank god that’s over. Have some AL flights for later in the year just need to hope they are cancelled as already have AL vouchers from other flights!

Purple mountain get into RA chat confirming you want refund and get transcript sent to you. See my post a page or two back, think they sent me the voucher email 5 times! They are a shower of sh1ts. It took my refund 4 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

If I'm lucky enough to get a refund how will I know - do they send an email to that effect? Or do I have to keep checking my account? If the fare was paid through Paypal how is the refund managed?

Yes. You will get an email saying it has been refunded, and it will be refunded through your Paypal account.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

Sounds straightforward Aristotle, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭McSween

ttenneb wrote: »
    Sounds straightforward Aristotle, thanks

We got a refund on Wednesday. I pm’d them on twitter asking what was going on and they said a voucher was issued. I didnt see anythhing in ryanair account about a voucher. They cancelled it and processed the refund. Flight was mid may. Twitter excellent for putting pressure on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭paddy19

Hi all.

My card issuer has told me I am outside of the time frame to claim a refund from them re cancelled flights.
    Hopefully you're still within the time limit.

Refund period starts from the flight date not from the booking date.
    Some banks have been misleading customers by claiming its from booking date on the date it appears on your statement.

Limit varies by card/bank but but generally 120 days.

"In the case where goods or services are to be delivered,
    cardholders can dispute up to 120 days from the date delivery was due."

https://www.aibms.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/AIBMS_Chargeback_Handbook_6.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

I got an email last week saying i had vouchers to be used. Even though i had applied for refund in May. At the end of the email was a place to apply for cash refund instead of vouchers, which i did. I then received an email saying refund would be processed in 5-7 working days.

Over the weekend i saw a pending figure on my credit card that matched the amount i was due but it had a funny description like "unautorised payment" which i thought was odd. Anyway that has no disappeared and i've not got anything back

Anyone have a similar experience? Probably try contact bank later see can i figure out what thats all about

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ricta

I'm at a loss as to where to turn next.

I am now a piggy-in-the-middle victim of the bad blood between RA and LoveHolidays.

The holiday was booked for 16th April, RA cancelled all flights. I requested a refund from RA on 1st April, ( and again many times after that when they kept pushing vouchers). LH refunded everything except flights on 8th June, and subsequently sent many emails saying they were continuing to chase RA for the flight costs.

Then on 14th September I discovered RA had a webform I could use to get the refund direct to me, tried it, to be told I had already been refunded! Got RA on webchat, was told the refund was processed on 7th August. I asked for proof and was promised an email with an ARN number. Of course I never got that.

Got LH on webchat, told them what RA said. LH said they have not been refunded the flight costs by RA. This five weeks after the alleged transaction date! I pressed them on it but just got stonewalled, "why on earth would we not refund you if we received the money from RA?"!

It's more than 120 days since the holiday was supposed to start so I think it's too late to try a chargeback with BoI/Matercard.

paddy19 wrote: »
    Hopefully you're still within the time limit.

Refund period starts from the flight date not from the booking date.
    Some banks have been misleading customers by claiming its from booking date on the date it appears on your statement.

Limit varies by card/bank but but generally 120 days.

"In the case where goods or services are to be delivered,
    cardholders can dispute up to 120 days from the date delivery was due."

https://www.aibms.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/AIBMS_Chargeback_Handbook_6.pdf

No, it's out slightly with the flight date.
    I got a Ryanair email this week about a refund in 5 to 7 days.
    I won't hold my breath.

Just got the refund email for same date as you !

Finally it’s over !

Exactly six months to the day after I first requested a refund for a cancelled flight to Spain and numerous stinky emails from me following up, my €200 has arrived in my account today!
    I booked those flights in August 2019 so it's 13 months Ryanair had my money.
    I should be looking for interest.

One of my march flights that I moved to October has now moved by over 5 hours, am I right in thinking I can ask for a refund? Its Aerlingus, it just gives a phone number option, no click option? Thanks

ETA - Rang the number got straight through, he tried to process it for me but couldnt, said I'm on the priority queue and should have it back in 2 weeks. Much better than RA if it happens. Just need the other flight to change now!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,250 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Have May flights been refunded yet for anyone? April have for me, but not May, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

6 wrote: »
    Have May flights been refunded yet for anyone? April have for me, but not May, yet.

Just got the email this morning to say I'll have funds in 5-7 days. Flights for May 25. I was on chat yesterday annoying them. Seems to have worked. Chat fairly easy to get a human now too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

US2 wrote: »
    Just got the email this morning to say I'll have funds in 5-7 days. Flights for May 25. I was on chat yesterday annoying them. Seems to have worked. Chat fairly easy to get a human now too

I got this also. Started a charge-back with the bank yesterday. Not sure if it's a coincidence or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bonjurkes

6 wrote: »

My flight was between 29th of May - 1st of June with Ryanair, got my money back 2 months ago (28th of July) amount was 142 eur.

Advertisement