Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€25k invested in prize bonds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,451 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It's for 20 months, which would give €290 with average luck. So not too much of an outlier.

Nothing for me again, I'm on a bad run. 6 wins in the first 4 months of the year, only 2 in the second 4. Last win 17 July, 10 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Hibernicis wrote: »
    That return is an outlier. The current return on €50,000, on average, would yield €175pa. You have done very well. Congratulations.

He must've got some of mine, I haven't won 175/yr for the last 3 yrs and I've 100000 in them, ah well there's always the chance of the big one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

It's for 20 months, which would give €290 with average luck. So not too much of an outlier.

My bad, missed 2019 as the purchase year. Makes sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Zilch again

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

My friend won €50 last Friday - he only had €50 invested which he bought 2 months ago. Some luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

My wins are reinvested in new Prize Bonds. When I get the notification of a win, by post, I am not told which Prize Bond won for me.
    I always enjoyed seeing which bond or group of bonds had a win. No more?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Lastblackdog

My wins are reinvested in new Prize Bonds. When I get the notification of a win, by post, I am not told which Prize Bond won for me.
    I always enjoyed seeing which bond or group of bonds had a win. No more?

If you use the Find Winners facility on the Prize Bond Tracker it will tell you which bond number won.

I will be first today with some good news.

Congratulations!
    Your saved Prize Bond numbers have won €50.00 since you last logged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

Nothing again for me today.

Have purchased another two batches in the last week or so. waiting for them to arrive so I can add them.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭PB2018

Wins on 18th September 2020: €0
    Last win - 10th July 2020: €50
    Weeks since last win: 10
    €134k invested in prize bonds since July 2017
    Win ratio: 20 wins in 168 weeks (12%)
    2017 (Jul-Dec): 5 x €50 = €250
    2018 (Jan-Dec): 4 x €50 = €200
    2019 (Jan-Dec): 5 x €50 = €250
    2020 (Jan-date): 6 x €50 = €300

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pbtracker

Winnings on 18th September 2020: €0
    Last win : €50 Aug 28th
    Investment :
    Up to Aug 2020 : €12K
    Aug 2020 : €72K
    Sept 2020 : €77K
    Total winnings to date: €150

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 18th September 2020: €0
    Last win 19th June 2020 2020: €50
    Total winnings on €25k from Feb 2011 to date: €3000
    2011: €75 x 4 €300
    2012: €75 x 6 €450
    2013: €50 x 12 €600
    2014: €50 x 9 €450
    2015: €50 x 5 €250
    2016: €50 x 5 €250
    2017: €50 x 4 €200
    2018: €50 x 2 €100
    2019: €50 x 6 €300
    2020: €50 x 2 €100

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭pbwinner

VonLuck wrote: »
    I've a small amount of money set aside as an emergency fund of sorts in a savings account that is earning practically no interest. Was thinking Prize Bonds would be a better option. Would that be a wise move? I'm aware that there's a 90 day holding period at the start, but I can get by initially until that passes.
    If you're sure you won't need the money you're calling an "emergency fund" for 3 months, then yes, you might as well put it in prize bonds as anywhere else.

It's 100% secure until Leo decides how best to take everyones savings in the next budget :o

Winnings on 18th September €50
    Last win: 21st August €50
    Weeks since last win: 4

2017 (Jul-Dec) - €100k – 7x€50 = €350
    2018 (Jan-Dec) - €200k – 12x€50 = €600
    2019 (Jan-Dec) - €250k – 20x€50 = €1,000
    2020 (Jan-Sept) - €252k - 19x€50 = €950

Zilch yet again

Leitrim did well today with 34 prizes, well above their usual. A couple of lucky people as well, although the QS bonds win every week. Someone in Leitrim with a lot of money.

Prize Value Winning Prize Bond Location

€50 AKK662877 Leitrim
    €50 AKK663348 Leitrim
    €50 AKK663771 Leitrim
    €50 AKK669541 Leitrim

€50 QS053899 Leitrim
    €50 QS057807 Leitrim
    €50 QS060445 Leitrim
    €50 QS103377 Leitrim
    €50 QS116215 Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Negative_G wrote: »
    Winnings on 26th June 2020: €50
    Last win on 15th May 2020: €50
    Previous win 4th October 2019: €50

Total winnings since Feb 2015 on €50k: €1,350
    Total winnings since Oct 2016 on €20k: €250

Winnings on 4th Sept 2020
    Last win on 26th June 2020
    Previous win 15th May 2020

Total winnings since Feb 2015 on €50k: €1,400
    Total winnings since Oct 2015 on €20k: €250

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭granturismo

I've tried to buy bonds online over the past few weeks, about four weeks ago the purchase progressed past verifying my debit card and then an error page appeared. I checked with my bank and An Post and no purchase was made. I tried again a week later, same thing, rang An post and they said there was a problem at their end.

I bought some successfully online last week and tried twice this week and this time the error at the final step of verifying my card says I used a button to go back one page, I didnt, I just clicked on the submit button with my mouse. I've tried two different computers and browsers and get the same error.

Is anyone else having problems purchasing prize bonds online?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

i don't know anyone that has one a prize in prize bonds and they all have them 30 years

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/the-odds-of-winning-with-prize-bonds-lengthen-1.2680135?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    i don't know anyone that has one a prize in prize bonds and they all have them 30 years

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/the-odds-of-winning-with-prize-bonds-lengthen-1.2680135?mode=amp

Well the return on Prize Bonds is less that 0.5% (if I recall correctly) and if the minimum prize payout is €50, you would need to have about €300 in bonds over a 30 year period to get that return.

Now that's not exactly how Prize Bonds work, but you need to compare like with like. It may seem like you're getting nothing from them, but it tends to average out to a comparable savings interest rate of 0.5%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭John arse

bobbyy gee wrote: »

you know that you'll need tens of thousands invested to win regularly,ie fifty to a hundred thousand which might only win a few times a year.buy a couple of thousands worth and you'll just be disappointed.however it's all luck of the draw and you never know but don't hold your breath!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Lastblackdog

I've tried to buy bonds online over the past few weeks, about four weeks ago the purchase progressed past verifying my debit card and then an error page appeared. I checked with my bank and An Post and no purchase was made. I tried again a week later, same thing, rang An post and they said there was a problem at their end.

I bought some successfully online last week and tried twice this week and this time the error at the final step of verifying my card says I used a button to go back one page, I didnt, I just clicked on the submit button with my mouse. I've tried two different computers and browsers and get the same error.

I had a similar problem back in August where the system crashed after it took my money but before it gave me a receipt reference number. I contacted them and a very helpful chap called Sean sorted it out for me.

Haven’t had any Issues since but it has made me a bit wary.

I attempted a purchase in August. Money immediately debited from my bank a/c but no reference number or e-mail receipt. Contacted them the following morning and they admitted that their system was throwing up a lot of errors. Was contacted a couple of days later by Sean to say that they had the funds. I’ve been hugely unimpressed by their performance since, which appears to be a lot of buck passing between Kerry and Dublin. I still don’t have the certificate which presumably means I’ve missed a number of draws.

Hibernicis wrote: »
    I attempted a purchase in August. Money immediately debited from my bank a/c but no reference number or e-mail receipt. Contacted them the following morning and they admitted that their system was throwing up a lot of errors. Was contacted a couple of days later by Sean to say that they had the funds. I’ve been hugely unimpressed by their performance since, which appears to be a lot of buck passing between Kerry and Dublin. I still don’t have the certificate which presumably means I’ve missed a number of draws.

I got my certificate earlier this week, it took just over a week to arrive.

I bought another batch today online, no problems and received the confirmation email immediately with reference number.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Wow , just happened upon this thread.

So my uncle (never married) passed away about 5 years ago. My dad was cleaning out some stuff and found prizebonds from 1990, I think there is about 10 of them for around 2 pounds each.

Anyways , to ask some obvious questions !!

Are they likely to be worth much ?
    If they won a prize back in 1995 for example , and it wasn’t claimed let’s say, whats happens then ?
    Am I going to have a problem in claiming them as they were never willed to me ?

Thanks .

If there are 10 prizebonds, then they are 'worth' €62.50

If prizes weren't claimed to date, they can be claimed by the owner.

How could you 'claim' them if you don't own them?

Thanks .

https://www.statesavings.ie/help-support/help-articles/initiate-deceased-case

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Excellent .

Thank you.

Yes , they were never willed to anybody but I’m his only nephew and as I said he has no kids.

Yes. These are not bearer instruments, they are held in the name of the person or persons in whose name/s they were registered. If they were in your uncle's sole name they form part of his estate. The reclaiming process is per the link in the previous post.

• Advertisement

Those might be Savings Certificates from the description?

Advertisement