Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavyweight Boxing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭squinn2912

walshb wrote: »
    Use the fight thread, lads!

Yep I’m moved over now we’ll get back on this one afterwards for more general chat! Pleasure to be in your company tonight lads!! Good card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Wow I did not expect that power from povetkin at this age and less weight ....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,511 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Cracking shot from AVP perfectly timed for Whyte ducking into it
    Delighted we won't have to hear Hearn and Whyte caliing out Fury for a while
    Everyone just wants Fury v AJ

• Registered Users Posts: 54,579 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Kilboor wrote: »
    Wow I did not expect that power from povetkin at this age and less weight ....

It was just one punch..

The guy is not at his peak, but still has the fundamentals, technique and power...

Very very small surprise. Nothing more...

A peak Povetkin is streets ahead of Whyte..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes. They say a boxer's power is the last thing to go. A young thief found this out the hard way a while back when he was knocked out by an elderly ex boxer in a shop.

• Advertisement

It was just one punch..

The guy is not at his peak, but still has the fundamentals, technique and power...

100% correct
    Whyte and everyone and there dog knew that AVP would be dangerous with short hooks and uppercut, and to try keep the fight long

The technique and timing was perfect from AVP, I reckon it's a shot he's thrown thousands of times on the pads,

If before the fight someone said imagine AVP stopping him that's the shot your mind would think off or something very similar

It was just one punch..

I understand where you’re coming from with this and we were on the wavelength that POV scoring a ko was a distinct possibility. But the way the fight was going Whyte was bossing it and doing quite well. His feet are like lead and he’s a very slow thinker but he had that fight all but won.

So where does AP go from here surely he has lots of options along with the rematch

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I understand where you’re coming from with this and we were on the wavelength that POV scoring a ko was a distinct possibility. But the way the fight was going Whyte was bossing it and doing quite well. His feet are like lead and he’s a very slow thinker but he had that fight all but won.

So where does AP go from here surely he has lots of options along with the rematch

Well, yes..Whyte was ahead..rds 1s d 2 were close. Rd 3 Whyte won, and he won the 4th 10-7..

His issue was that he did not seem to go for the kill, like a boxer should (and you can do this without being reckless.)

The first KD was mid rd 4...he then did very little in the way of an a offensive follow up, to a clearly hurt AP...He threw very little spiteful shots.

Had him down again with seconds left rd 4...and that chance passed..

Came out rd 5..and before he knew it, he was looking at stars..

A more destructive and committed attitude mid rd 4, and AP was there to take out. Whyte sat back and did not press home..

Well, yes..Whyte was ahead..rds 1s d 2 were close. Rd 3 Whyte won, and he won the 4th 10-7..

His issue was that he did not seem to go for the kill, like a boxer should (and you can do this without being reckless.)

The first KD was mid rd 4...he then did very little in the way of an a offensive follow up, to a clearly hurt AP...He threw very little spiteful shots.

Had him down again with seconds left rd 4...and that chance passed..

Came out rd 5..and before he knew it, he was looking at stars..

A more destructive and committed attitude mid rd 4, and AP was there to take out. Whyte sat back and did not press home..

I thought he won 3 as well but took a lot of body shots. Yea the second kd came a bit late for him he didn’t even go for it then though but his corner were forceful in their advice not to engage AP. I think this goes against his nature. Hard to believe that 120 seconds after AP was knocked down he produced that punch. Hard man.

I’m trying to figure where I believe whyte is now. He’s just not good enough to box through a whole fight and at elite level in any era those lapses are going to be exposed.

Aj would demolish him again, Fury schools him. His chance is wilder but it’s hard not to see him finding the chin too. Pulev beats him and Ortiz would be my tip. Usyk likely too good and hunter might be too. A more ambitious Parker has a 50-50 easily and povetkin just sent him to the moon. I’d say Ruiz would fancy it too. That makes him about top 10 unless I’m missing anyone? Dubois, Joyce, Yoka hard to quantify at this stage. Anyhow he has a nerve having his nose up for title fights like it’s a human right

• Advertisement

I’m trying to figure where I believe whyte is now. He’s just not good enough to box through a whole fight and at elite level in any era those lapses are going to be exposed.

Aj would demolish him again, Fury schools him. His chance is wilder but it’s hard not to see him finding the chin too. Pulev beats him and Ortiz would be my tip. Usyk likely too good and hunter might be too. A more ambitious Parker has a 50-50 easily and povetkin just sent him to the moon. I’d say Ruiz would fancy it too. That makes him about top 10 unless I’m missing anyone? Dubois, Joyce, Yoka hard to quantify at this stage. Anyhow he has a nerve having his nose up for title fights like it’s a human right

Hard to disagree with anything here..

Only that he is heavy handed, so has a chance against a fair few to win via KO

But all things equal, he’s probably the bottom of the pile here..

Biggest con the last few years. Dining out off a KO loss to AJ. Pathetic Matchroom hype!

Whyte in my opinion gives some of them trouble,
    He's not the greatest boxer by any means but he's a big man who can hit he's also pig ignorant and normal can take a bit of a beating,

If you underestimate him or don't catch him like AVP he will give you a tough night, Let's not forget he hurt AVP and he hurt AJ in that loss

He's basically a better version of Chisora at his best, You have to be willing to gut it out to beat him but if your tough enough you can outbox,

Not elite level but a great gate keeper to have

• Registered Users Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I think Dubois would level him,

Hard to disagree with anything here..

Only that he is heavy handed, so has a chance against a fair few to win via KO

But all things equal, he’s probably the bottom of the pile here..

Biggest con the last few years. Dining out off a KO loss to AJ. Pathetic Matchroom hype!

When you can put a list like that together added to the fact that he’s an asshole he can F off.

I think that’s why aj was so shellshocked at the end no easy all British grudge match payday. Whyte is a great fight for him. Ko and look great at it.

Hard to know about Dubois but yea I can see potential there

• Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Hearn has said the rematch might be the end of November. With the 28 days off due to the suspension, it does not seem to leave much time to get ready. He turned down other fights citing lack of time to prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Just rewatched the Whyte POV fight. POV got through a lot in round 3 I had it 10-10 maybe whyte shaded it. 4 I had thought was a mauling but POV got a lot in there too esp to the body. He had a good game plan for this. Rather than try to rush whyte he knew at some point whyte would take a rest and you cant do that at hw esp against a guy like this. Whyte was getting bombarded in his corner too I thought far too many voices at once. If you look at the end of round 4 he only half assed went for the kill on POV after the second kd there was no killer instinct about him. He’s a fish out of water trying to box his way he’s more natural in kill mode

AVP threw the left hook to the body a number of times and it had Whyte attention I think he stuck to a game plan You could see that's what Whyte expected as he leaned forward but AVP changed it to a sneeky upper cut, No way was it a lucky punch it was very calculated,

I do wonder why Whyte changed trainer seemed odd, Was he trying to reinvent himself or what was the purpose?

AVP threw the left hook to the body a number of times and it had Whyte attention I think he stuck to a game plan You could see that's what Whyte expected as he leaned forward but AVP changed it to a sneeky upper cut, No way was it a lucky punch it was very calculated,

I do wonder why Whyte changed trainer seemed odd, Was he trying to reinvent himself or what was the purpose?

Oh of course that was prepared by AP. It’s classic him. Whyte fell into a trap but he always lets his guard down at some point during a fight. AP hung in when he had to and forced whyte into a mistake with mean body shots. End of round 4 Whyte looked very sluggish coming over after the kd he had an opportunity to get to AP and he chose to rest. During the count he was lying against the ropes.
    That didn’t help him either good point.

Sunny Edwards lookin’ all gender neutral on BT Sports!!

Dubois up later!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Interviewer to Dubois, 'theres been talk of you and fury'.

Has there? Has there, really? :D

Not much to learn from Dubois tonight God love that fella but he got away lightly. Joyce full of compliments after the fight surprised me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Usyk via late stoppage imo. Struggle to see what Chisora brings to the table to make this very competitive to be honest. Usyk won't stand in front of him like Takam or Szpilka did.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1308737919922982913?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Morrison J wrote: »
    Usyk via late stoppage imo. Struggle to see what Chisora brings to the table to make this very competitive to be honest. Usyk won't stand in front of him like Takam or Szpilka did.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1308737919922982913?s=19

Not sure about a stoppage, a lobsidded decision. Now way Chisora wins anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I think Usyk will tire him out and stop him.

I'd normally complain about this being PPV but with the lack of crowds and the fighters needing to be paid I will suck it up and dish out the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I'd normally complain about this being PPV but with the lack of crowds and the fighters needing to be paid I will suck it up and dish out the money.

It was always a PPV even with fans. I wish sky or matchroom released the buy rates.

Yes...I hear ya

Barring a fluke KO, plodder Chisora gets dominated all night here...he's just useless...

Usyk needs to get a move on now after this sham fight....

This is his second fight at HW, yes? Two absolute nobodies....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Lads seriously..if you keep paying for these PPV it will never end.. Chisora has lost 22% of his fights and Uysk will box his head off all night.

Stream it

I tend to agree with you guys. All I’ll say is that Usyk looked hittable in his first fight at HW and that guy was even worse than Chisora. I think Chisora is a little better than he’s given credit for. A lot of those losses were when he wasn’t as fit. 2 against Fury, Pulev and Haye aren’t anything to be ashamed of and Whyte was a toss up x 2 until the ko. He battered Price so I suppose he represents a step up for Usyk. If Usyk can’t come through this one very convincingly then he has no business with the big boys. I have doubts on him as a HW as it is.

• Advertisement

I tend to agree with you guys. All I’ll say is that Usyk looked hittable in his first fight at HW and that guy was even worse than Chisora. I think Chisora is a little better than he’s given credit for.

He’s useless as regards being world level..not sure what credit he deserves..

Going neck and neck with Whyte..big deal..it’s Whyte..

But, yes...I was a lil impressed in his Price showing...

Advertisement