Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New commute

Options
  • 05-12-2018 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

I currently commute from Clarehall to Eastpoint, very easy commute via the Malahide road or sometimes I take the longer but more enjoyable coastal route.

I'll be changing jobs soon and now need to get to the Aviva area every day. The shortest route according to Google is via town but i think I have worked out a better/safer route. I am not familiar with the areas though and wanted to see if anyone knows it and could offer advice.

New route I am thinking of taking would be the same until Eastpoint, then continue down to the port area , over the Eastlink, the up along what looks like a walking/cycling track beside the Dodder.

- Is this doable ? (I dont know if the track beside the dodder is for cyclists or not)
    - What the route from Alfie Byrne to the Eastlink like ? I dont see much cycling tracks on the map
    - I assume I would need to cross the road at the Point and use the lights further up so that i am on the right hand footpath when crossing the Eastlink ?

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I never liked the Eastlink or Dublin port area. I commute to Eastpoint now, and used to come from a southside. My preferred route was the following:

https://goo.gl/maps/AHtcFrLqmyA2

Distance wise it is similar, and I find it an easy route. Easy access through Grand Canal and the cycle track on the canal.

EDIT: I don't believe that track on the Dodder is a cycle track at all, just a path and it's a bit all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

east wall / point / east link is doable, i dont mind it, but you want to have your wits about you.
    traffic is heavy from alfie byrne to probably east road junction depending on time of day.
    its uaully 2 lanes and tight to the kerb. after that jucntion every queues into the right lane so youll generally have the whole left lane to yourself

howvever, after thatn, the narrow bridge and disappearing cycle track are a bit of a head wreck.
    youll be up and down into traffic and not everyone gives any space
    you want to get across the opposite traffic and out the little gap then head up thorncastle once you are over the bridge.

the reverse from east link back across to alfie byrne i find much safer, as traffic is always at a complete standstill. can be a bit tight if you like filtering. the cycle track, where it exists, is more consistent. still a bit dodgy at the traintracks tho. up east wall road then is just filtering thru stopped traffic

the dodder bit is pedestrian only (i think) but a lot of bikes use it, its ok slowly. its not much longer to around the roads anyway at that point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

depends on when you cross the east link, i suspect. i do so at about 7am southbound and it's fine. about 4:30pm too, northbound, but it's much busier.
    any time i've tried the beckett bridge/cardiff lane option, i've nearly lost the will to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

this last transition to road is the main one to watch out for heading south

https://twitter.com/CitizenW0lf/status/1068529528710918145

Advertisement