Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

O Briens in Bantry??

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Please post the census links for the couple.

Civil registration of marriages was compulsory from 1864 but there would be some gaps in the initial years were people forgot.

Have you verified Julia's birth name is also O'Brien from the couple's children's births?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tombom1

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Please post the census links for the couple.

Civil registration of marriages was compulsory from 1864 but there would be some gaps in the initial years were people forgot.

Have you verified Julia's birth name is also O'Brien from the couple's children's births?
    yes I edited the post and for multiple births her maiden name is o Brien also I was told she was o brien,Julia also gave fairly accurate age estimates comparing 1901 census age to age when she died so I'm inclined to just go off age but I couldn't find any marriage record in tuam parish either

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Julia is 9 years younger than Michael in 1901 but only 6 by 1911. However, she's saying she's 12 years older than 1901!
    Suggests that they're not great on ages.

Have you got some of their kids birth records to be sure though that that is the right Julia?

I don't see a (O) Brien (O) Brien marriage between 1885-1900.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Julia is 9 years younger than Michael in 1901 but only 6 by 1911. However, she's saying she's 12 years older than 1901!
    Suggests that they're not great on ages.

Have you got some of their kids birth records to be sure though that that is the right Julia?

I don't see a (O) Brien (O) Brien marriage between 1885-1900.

I had a look myself and children appear for Michael O'Brien and Julia O'Brien from 1896 onward with the names matching that on the census. It also gives their address as Ballinvoher which matches up with the census. I couldn't find a marriage either. It seems like it could be a case that the marriage wasn't registered for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Try spelling / transcription variants;

Bryan, Brien, Breen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement