Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Jaysus. They’re some socks.
    Wow, so it turns out RobFowl was a West Ham fan all along? The socks don't lie...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.....and where's your eye wear? Tut,tut.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's not exactly a new complaint, but the healthy disregard motorists have for the cycle lane past the botanic gardens is at fever pitch this time of year, with all the communions on in our lady of dolours church.
    yesterday morning, we saw a coach driver and one of the security guards from the gardens having an argument. the coach driver was insisting that because it was a public road, he was allowed park right outside the main gates for the gardens. he didn't seem too put out by the guard informing him that that was the main emergency exit from the gardens, and seemed more willing to move when he was told the gardai had been called.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Wow, so it turns out RobFowl was a West Ham fan all along? The socks don't lie...

I'm forever blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... the healthy disregard motorists have for the cycle lane past the botanic gardens is at fever pitch this time of year, with all the communions on in our lady of dolours church..
    ...and a few metres further up, it can be squeaky bum time when hammering down that hill to find vehicles exiting the Bon Secours Hospital with no regard for cyclists on the main road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

...and a few metres further up, it can be squeaky bum time when hammering down that hill to find vehicles exiting the Bon Secours Hospital with no regard for cyclists on the main road.

It's equally squeaky bum time for motorists faced with cyclists who have no regard for other road users or members of the general public when "hammering" down that hill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no reason to post this other than it's a great name for a bike shop.

http://www.savileroad.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

buffalo wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44186998

Sometimes it's good to take a moment to remind ourselves how lucky we are in Ireland, with our lack of natural hazards.

I passed some vicious looking rabbits the other day, could have turned nasty:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

obviously whoever designs their cycling gear is not that au fait with some design aspects of cycling. laces on cycling shoes?

All my cycling shoes have laces. I thought it was the done thing nowadays.

do they have some sort of system to retain the laces to stop them fouling on the chainrings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The Mavic Aksium shoes have laces and I do like the look of them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

do they have some sort of system to retain the laces to stop them fouling on the chainrings?

Yeah, its called tying them....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

RobFowl wrote: »

And the ever technical tucking them in.

Mine are long so I wrap them round the shoe and do a small knot, most I see out have shorter laces and work without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Didn’t put this in the near misses thread as it’s to do with runners in the Plymouth half marathon.

RobFowl wrote: »
    good god people, what do we have technology for! velcro! stretchy stuff! those ratchety round things!

good god people, what do we have technology for! velcro! stretchy stuff! those ratchety round things!

I used to have to use electrical tape around the Velcro. Stylish and practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just after reading some coverage about the kidnapping. Happened on Poggio :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

ED E wrote: »
    Just after reading some coverage about the kidnapping. Happened on Poggio :(

Scary stuff. I was out doing a recovery ride yesterday afternoon around Rathmicheal - up to Enniskerry and back. This was around 5.

I'm sure there were folks from here out around the area on the road and the trails around Puck's Castle. If you noticed anything out of the ordinary let the Guards know - Bray station on 01 6665300 or the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666111.

a body has been found in the search in that kidnapping case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Driving continues to decline in importance in Dublin (down to 30% of trips), public transport now over 50%:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0522/965236-commute/

Essentially, Dublin is slowly becoming a typical Northern European city, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭buffalo

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Driving continues to decline in importance in Dublin (down to 30% of trips), public transport now over 50%:

Essentially, Dublin is slowly becoming a typical Northern European city, I guess.

Superb news! Do taxis really count as sustainable transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

tomasrojo wrote: »

now we need use this numbers to make it that funding actually reflects usage, not sure daily car users realise they are actually currently subsidized rather than paying for road use

manafana wrote: »
    now we need use this numbers to make it that funding actually reflects usage, not sure daily car users realise they are actually currently subsidized rather than paying for road use

It would certainly be difficult to get the numbers that accurately reflect it, particularly given the variance within each group. Certainly I would imagine that cyclists in generally contribute more for what they take out but to be fair, that is certainly skewed in their favour (tending to live closer to work, cause less damage, improve healthcare costs) but overall, cyclists probably reflect the best bang per buck in regards investment, followed by public transport and shared car use, with single occupancy cars in last place. Pretty sure there are studies (not based in Ireland admittedly) confirming most of this.

passing the bike counter (inbound) on the rock road - near the punch bowl - it was reading 946 at about 4:30 today. that's the highest i've seen it i think.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Pleased to say I tried out the new jersey yesterday from "my" sportive at the track yesterday....

451540.jpg451541.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Beasty wrote: »
    Pleased to say I tried out the new jersey yesterday from "my" sportive at the track yesterday....

451540.jpg451541.jpg

The resemblance is uncanny ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Plenty of jobs going in GCN & GMBN -https://www.playsportsnetwork.com/jobs/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Random observation: sleeveless tops and arm warmers is not a good look.

Advertisement