Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

9 spd vs 10 spd

• 21-08-2012 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi,

I just want to start this thread on behalf of somebody else.

I was just wondering if one wants to turn a 9 speed groupset into a 10 speed one, which parts in particular do they need to replace?

I imagine the shifters, cassette, chain, does the crankset need to be changed too?

It's a choice between Tiagra and Sora. The tiagra bike which isnt too much more expensive would be the obvious choice, but the sora bike looks nicer (nicer colours!). So if it would be possible to upgrade to a 10spd for not too much extra money, that would be ideal.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭AaronB

Go with Tiagra and look at group-set prices! it can be alot cheaper to buy the group-set instead of each item.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Was going to ask the same question myself, and was also thinking shifters, cassette and chain would be the minimum, and come out considerably less than a new groupset. The main consideration with the front mech is that the chain is thinner, which could require a slightly narrower front deraileur cage. I replaced my 9 speed front deraileur (campag xenon triple) with a 10 speed (comp triple) as the 9 speed wasn't available, and while it works ok, it is awkward to set-up with no chain rub. Some discussion here on mixing a 10 speed crank with 9 speed cassette.

If you're changing the gear range significantly, and you currently have a short cage rear deraileur, you may also need to change that.

Advertisement