Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AUTUMN WEATHER 2013

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

mike65 wrote: »
    This conveyor belt of westerly ****e will continue for as far as the models can predict it looks like.

I would be happy with this all winter as long as it's not mild and dry :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

mike65 wrote: »
    This conveyor belt of westerly ****e will continue for as far as the models can predict it looks like.

Yes, but that is perfectly normal for our winters. We usually see atlantic dominated often stormy weather in November/December. Apart from December 2010 most of our notable cold-snaps have come after Christmas. I'm enjoying the weather now. Nice frost this morning, clear crystalline air, windy days, squally showers..perfect fare for early November. Even the far reaches of FI are only mid November, the models aren't showing out to Christmas.

Cold solutions will soon start to appear, whether they bear fruit is another matter, but I wouldn't hold my breath for snow for another few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't want cold I just want some decent dry spells (yeah I want the best of everything!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Decent dry spell in the works for later next week. If dense fog doesn't spoil things, there might be some very pleasant days in most places. I would expect some fog problems at least in the first half of the morning daylight hours, but for mid-November the charts look quite benign around Wednesday to Friday of next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mesut Ozil

Looks like Ken Ring's forecast for the 27th of November might come true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Mesut Ozil wrote: »

What was his forecast

A few months ago he said it will turn colder on the 27th. You'll have to look at his older posts because my memory is vague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

A few months ago he said it will turn colder on the 27th. You'll have to look at his older posts because my memory is vague.

But its turned colder in the last few days, so how could he be right on 27th, when its already happened.:confused:

relaxed wrote: »
    But its turned colder in the last few days, so how could he be right on 27th, when its already happened.:confused:

Yeah, it's happened already. It's so cold that this station London reached a record high of 15*C yesterday.

I'm talking about real cold, daytime temperatures below average for the time of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Yeah, it's happened already. It's so cold that this station London reached a record high of 15*C yesterday.

I'm talking about real cold, daytime temperatures below average for the time of the year.

Sorry I thought it was winter weather in Ireland we were discussing.:P

Give me a minute while a find a foreign weather station somewhere that's colder than normal, sure that will will disprove Kens theory:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

relaxed wrote: »
    Sorry I thought it was winter weather in Ireland we were discussing.:P

Give me a minute while a find a foreign weather station somewhere that's colder than normal, sure that will will disprove Kens theory:rolleyes:

Are you trying to say that Ireland and England have completely different climates? You can embarrass yourself by pointing at as many weather stations across the world as you want, but there's only one country that shares Ireland's climate: Britain.

From reading your comment I think geography should be compulsory up until the leaving cert because, apparently, there are some Irishmen out there who have yet to discover that England is only a few hundred kilometers to the east.

Here I was think it was the Americans who were terrible at locating places on maps.

Anyone who has followed weather charts knows that the cold weather hits the U.K. before it reaches Ireland. London is 470km away - on a global scale, that's nothing, the jet stream can blow faster than 160km. What hits the U.K. usually hits Ireland or has already hit Ireland.

As for Ken Ring: no-one said his theory was proven right, just that his forecast for the 27th of November seems to have some weight. I don't know how he forecasted it, I don't agree with his methods, I see him as astronomer rather than a meteorologist. When I first heard of him, I looked at his Wikipedia and laughed at how outrageous his methods are, so don't confuse me for being a fan of his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Done nothing but sleet all night. More rain than anything, but it's a start :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

But remember, give or take 3 days on either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Joe Public wrote: »
    But remember, give or take 3 days on either side.

Do u have a link to his weather forecast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Do u have a link to his weather forecast
    It's further back in this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87111353&postcount=167

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Decent dry spell in the works for later next week. If dense fog doesn't spoil things, there might be some very pleasant days in most places. I would expect some fog problems at least in the first half of the morning daylight hours, but for mid-November the charts look quite benign around Wednesday to Friday of next week.

Should be a decent week once todays muck has moved off, looking a bit further
    on the GSF is showing a nice slow high pressure moving in from about 20th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

BBC1 Weather mentioned 70mph gusts on Wednesday for Scotland,Northern Ireland and Northern England. I can't check charts until later tonight so I'm wondering if some one could shed some light on this. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Kenring wrote: »
    I agree. Heavy falls this week and next week, and around 3rd-4th of November conditions may be very squally but mild. Most of November's rain is expected to be in the east. But November should be a mild month with little chance of snow. The last few days of November may bring cold rain, hail, sleet or some flurries.

mmmm

Even if you allow for Mr Ring's 3 day deviation, "the last few days of November" and in all likelihood, the first couple of days of December are going to be unseasonably mild, particularly dry and very very pleasant.

I don't think Mr Ring could have been more wrong.

I also doubt his cheerleaders will be commenting.

Kenring wrote: »
    Looks like plenty of squally weather around, associated with the coming perigeal new moon. This should abate around midweek. Then for much of the country November should see fairly settled weather, until more heavy falls arrive in the fourth week. Then 26-29 could be very cold and frosty.

I "COULD" win the lotto tonight.

For November, the last few days have been rather mild, ZERO frost and almost ZERO rain. - I'm cutting the grass today in South West Kerry, and whilst not t-shirt weather, I needed nothing more than a rugby shirt for this morning's walk on the beach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

sandin wrote: »
    [/B][/B]

I "COULD" win the lotto tonight.

For November, the last few days have been rather mild, ZERO frost and almost ZERO rain. - I'm cutting the grass today in South West Kerry, and whilst not t-shirt weather, I needed nothing more than a rugby shirt for this morning's walk on the beach.

If the ECM model is to be believed , It will turn very cold from mid next week, so a few days out from the dates he gave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Galway City: Summary for Autumn 2013

Temperature
    Mean (min+max) 11.8°C
    Mean Minimum 9.0°C
    Mean Maximum 14.6°C
    Minimum -0.3°C on 22/11/2013
    Maximum 23.1°C on 23/09/2013
    Highest Minimum 15.9°C on 01/10/2013
    Lowest Maximum 7.3°C on 22/11/2013
    Air frosts 2

Rainfall
    Total for period 227.0mm
    Wettest day 16.8mm on 17/11/2013
    High rain rate 164.8mm day 26/10/2013
    Rain days 63

Wind
    Highest Gust 42.0mph on 02/11/2013

Pressure
    Maximum 1043.15hPa on 25/11/2013
    Minimum 977.08hPa on 02/11/2013

Days with snow falling 1
    Days with snow lying at 0900 0

Total hours of sunshine 310.4

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Final stats for Autumn 2013:

Mean Max: 14.1c
    Mean Min: 7.7c
    Mean: 10.9c

Max temp: 23.6c (21st September)
    Min temp: -1.4c (23rd November)

Air frosts: 1
    Thunder Heard: 1 day

Total Rain: 189.8mm
    Rain Days: 54
    Max Rain Day (0000-0000): 24.8mm (16th October)
    Max Rain Rate: 47.2mm/hr (25th October)

Highest air pressure: 1042mb (25th November)
    Lowest air pressure: 980mb (02nd November)

If the ECM model is to be believed , It will turn very cold from mid next week, so a few days out from the dates he gave.

That would be ten days out.

So allowing ten days either side, I make the following predictions for 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018.

1st -3rd December of above years will have frosty nights, a few wintry showers and cold winds.

Come back in 5 years and my guess is I will be about 89% correct assuming a 10 day either way leeway.

My meteorological experience = Zilch.

Advertisement