Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Isabel. Bad Ass.

• 11-09-2003 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

'Tis a biggie.

Currently rated at category 4 on the Saffir-Simpson hurricane scale (goes up to 5 not 11) and strengthening.

Current pic:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Another good one from the American National Hurricane Centre (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov), you can see the eye really clearly.

Now up to Category 5.

Geeky stuff for geeks (caps aren't mine):

WTNT33 KNHC 112021
    TCPAT3
    BULLETIN
    HURRICANE ISABEL ADVISORY NUMBER 23
    NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
    5 PM AST THU SEP 11 2003

...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS ISABEL NOW AT CATEGORY FIVE INTENSITY...

SATELLITE IMAGES INDICATE THAT HURRICANE ISABEL HAS CONTINUED TO
    STRENGTHEN...AND HAS REACHED CATEGORY FIVE INTENSITY ON THE
    SAFFIR-SIMPSON HURRICANE SCALE. ISABEL IS THE FIRST CATEGORY FIVE
    HURRICANE IN THE ATLANTIC BASIN SINCE MITCH OF 1998.

AT 5 PM AST...2100Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE ISABEL WAS LOCATED
    NEAR LATITUDE 21.6 NORTH... LONGITUDE 55.3 WEST OR ABOUT 500
    MILES...805 KM...EAST-NORTHEAST OF THE NORTHERN LEEWARD ISLAND.

ISABEL IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST NEAR 9 MPH...15 KM/HR...AND THIS
    GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE FOR THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 160 MPH...260 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
    GUSTS. SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN INTENSITY ARE LIKELY OVER THE NEXT
    24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 60 MILES... 95 KM...
    FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
    TO 185 MILES...295 KM.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 921 MB...27.20 INCHES.

• Yeah, this was mentioned on the Beeb this evening, winds are now exceeding 150 mph.

I'd hate to think what that would do to the trees at the back of this house:eek:

It's heading for some islands isn't it?? Bahama's??
    But if it crashes to shore in the South East U.s with those winds, it will crack another huge hole in Federal funds with the state of emmergency that follows.

mm

Looking at the five day forecast track it looks like it might hit the Bahamas and is likely enough to give it a good side swipe.

It could also be just off the coast of Florida in five days so it's a bit difficult to tell.

The poor yanks and cubans must be awful scared though, if this yoke stays strong and makes landside it's going to be a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭exCrumlinBoyo

I live in Northwest Florida but I come from Crumlin In Dublin and that Hurricane is massive , It could hit florida or more up the east coast , But if It dose hit were in Trouble. Ive been keeping an eye out on the weather forcast to see which way its gona go.

Dose anyone remember back in 1997 When Hurricane Charlie hit Ireland , it was a big one as far as I can remember?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Hurricanes are cool, but not good.

If I lived in Florida or the Bahamas, I'd get the f*** out of there quicker than you can say "damn it's windy".

• Originally posted by exCrumlinBoyo

Dose anyone remember back in 1997 When Hurricane Charlie hit Ireland , it was a big one as far as I can remember?
    Yeah, that was 1987.
    It didn't leave hardly a bridge on a country road in the East of the country undamaged.
    Many washed away.
    The N11 was closed at Arklow as the only bridge there had the Avoca river flowing over it.
    The other bridge at Avoca was washed away.
    It hasn't happened since.

mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭exCrumlinBoyo

I should of said 1987!!

I just remember coming home from school! We were all sent home and I was walking home and a huge gust of wind blew my school bag right out of my hand.

It looks like it might miss the Northwest part of Florida were I live , but Southern Florida / On the coast in Georgia / Virgina all could get a direct hit , but again , Hurricanes have been known to change direction !!

I'll keep watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by exCrumlinBoyo
    I just remember coming home from school! We were all sent home and I was walking home and a huge gust of wind blew my school bag right out of my hand.

I also remember being in school and looking out the window across at the houses and someone's rain Gutter fell off the house

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Christmas 1999 was the worst, as bad I as I can ever remember. Another one was December 8th, 1992 or 3.... In Dublin that day..... worst soaking evah, and a shed blew down at home.

BTW, Isobel getting more bad ass by the day....

http://us.cnn.com/2003/WEATHER/09/14/hurricane.isabel/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    Shes getting more "bad ass" than Dappergent out of his noggin on pills ***.
    She's a saucy wench all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

attached is a good image from dundee satellite receving station, you have to register bu the images are well worth it and its free

http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/pdus/EI/200309160900EI1_g.jpg

to register click this link http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/

• She's bearing down on the Carrolina coast as we speak, max wind speeds now are 105 mph.

I'm wondering why, they are shutting down Washington for this, I mean, max wind speeds when the storm gets that far inland might only hit 60 or 70 mph.
    We wouldn't close down Dublin for that...we'd say windy day:D

mm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

We'd close the West Link, thats about it!

Nearly there.

Not quite what it was, but man it still looks scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by Man
    I'm wondering why, they are shutting down Washington for this, I mean, max wind speeds when the storm gets that far inland might only hit 60 or 70 mph.
    We wouldn't close down Dublin for that...we'd say windy day:D

mm

I think it's more to do with the storm surge and the amount of water the hurricane carried. Biggest danger/killer is drowning I think.

• Yeah, seemingly the Pontomac (sp) in Washington is up about 7 feet or so.
    their biggest problem might be with the flooding of low lying areas.

But they have escaped lightly it seems,especially in Washington.

Quebec is quaking in it's boots now I believe as the ex Isabel is predicted to join forces as it reaches there with an existing system in northern Canada to create a Super storm.

mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

I survived Hurricane Isabel and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt.

• Advertisement

• Now later, when I've time, i'll dig up a pic {IMG code being on} suitable for the shirt.
    It will have to be a virtual shirt though...
    Special service here!
    We aim to please:D

mm

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

We got a whole day of rain as a result of isabel in Ohio(not bad at all really), when el Nino hit we got about a week!

Advertisement