Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Is it only when you get the text that you should go to Smyths for the preorder? As in, if I swung by there after work without getting the text, is there any chance I might leave with my copy?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Coybig_ wrote: »
    Is it only when you get the text that you should go to Smyths for the preorder? As in, if I swung by there after work without getting the text, is there any chance I might leave with my copy?

As tomorrow is the release date, I don't think they'll give it to you. Those that got it received it from orders for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Coybig_ wrote: »

No you'll get the text at 9pm likely when they close. They won't hand it out before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭druss

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Got an email from Gamestop. Delivery is delayed due to problems with not getting the stock in time so mine isn't shipping until friday.

Useless ****ers.

I got a call from them to say that my store pick up is pushed back till Saturday as well. I'll live with it coz I'm trading in a copy of Mario Rabbids against it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

glasso wrote: »
    as I said he explains in it in the very short video the process of capturing and outputting inputs and he delivers this message as if it was a trivial enough process.

I'm familiar with programming , can code and likewise know that comparing one programming task to another is irrelevant.

trying to argue that this was some big effort that Nintendo couldn't do if they were even 1/2 arsed is not very convincing

Except, not to trivialise the bedroom coders work, his camera is very half arsed. There's no AI pathfinding around geometry or collision with geometry. I very much doubt nintendo would allow something so broken into their game and can imagine the insane effort it would take implementing it into Mario 64.

Nothing is ever as trivial as adding a feature. You have to account for what said feature will break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Good point but the original camera isn't exactly virtuoso programming either. It's broken as all hell. It gets stuck on many levels and you can use it so see out of bounds in the castle in many places.

Nobody is saying it would be easy. What they are saying is that Nintendo has the ability to do it and probably should have.

They had to make programming changes to get Galaxy to work. And it mostly does. So it begs the question, why not put the same effort into Mario64?

Except, not to trivialise the bedroom coders work, his camera is very half arsed. There's no AI pathfinding around geometry or collision with geometry. I very much doubt nintendo would allow something so broken into their game and can imagine the insane effort it would take implementing it into Mario 64.

Nothing is ever as trivial as adding a feature. You have to account for what said feature will break.

yes this is just a quick x-axis only camera hack and not very sophisticated

still Nintendo, with their vast resources didn't even try to begin with.

That is the key point - couldn't be arsed - just throw out the same thing from 24 years ago (auto-upscaling aside) and hit up the consumers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kirby wrote: »
    They had to make programming changes to get Galaxy to work. And it mostly does. So it begs the question, why not put the same effort into Mario64?

Two reasons:

Nintendo has a policy of presenting their games as originally intended as much as possible.

The budget didn't cover it.

And a sweeping change like a second analogue camera has massive consequences for how a game works, QA, testing and might just not be possible on the host hardware (The N64 really doesn't have the grunt to run the AI needed for todays third person cameras). It's a minefield when you have the choice of presenting the game as close to as originally intended as possible. It's not like Mario 64 is totally unplayable because of the camera, it's still a greatest of all time game.

Two reasons:

Nintendo has a policy of presenting their games as originally intended as much as possible.

The budget didn't cover it.

And a sweeping change like a second analogue camera has massive consequences for how a game works, QA, testing and might just not be possible on the host hardware (The N64 really doesn't have the grunt to run the AI needed for todays third person cameras). It's a minefield when you have the choice of presenting the game as close to as originally intended as possible. It's not like Mario 64 is totally unplayable because of the camera, it's still a greatest of all time game.

I don't buy this at all.

even giving control over just the x-axis plane with the right-stick for movement would be a huge quality of life upgrade and doesn't need any AI whatsoever (this is purely complicating the conversation)

you just leave the existing crappy auto camera as is but you can control the x-axis view with the right stick

this would make a massive difference to playing the game - even like the crude way as done by the programmer actually does make a big difference.

there would be some work to do with the existing level-design draw-spaces if the x-axis view could go outside the existing design areas but I don't see it as insurmountable by any means

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

I was hoping someone in here would say Smyths are letting people collect it early! This'll be my 5th different version of Mario 64 and I cannot wait to play it to 100% completion again, it's one of the best games ever made!

Also on the camera discussion, I like the crappy camera and the sound effects, I wouldn't have it any other way!

• Advertisement

I was hoping someone in here would say Smyths are letting people collect it early! This'll be my 5th different version of Mario 64 and I cannot wait to play it to 100% completion again, it's one of the best games ever made!

Also on the camera discussion, I like the crappy camera and the sound effects, I wouldn't have it any other way!

:eek:

sound is fine but that camera is the work of the devil.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Hypothetical:

No covid supply issues this year and this isn’t released. This partly explains the limited release. AAA title doesn’t make it as planned for xmas(3D World?) so this is rushed out to fill/get money in.

But it still would have taken a bit of time so maybe they already had them being worked on - could it be N64/GC/Wii emulator going to be added to the NES/SNES there already? Could also explain the limited time, they move onto to the service for Nintendo Online subscribers. 🀷*♂️

And Nintendo knows how to do this with N64 first party 3D games

They re-released Majora's Mask on the new 3DS and implemented free camera control using the new 3DS's second analogue stick

That was not exactly that long ago - how difficult could it really be to reuse this work - everyone knows that programming is all about re-use of similar prior work.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Unsubscribing from this now, it's getting tedious. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Arrived this morning from Smyths but not had a chance to try it out.
    Emulation....Smemulation !! Just two all time greats, and one decent one.

I've nothing more to add here lol - I just can't stand spoofers making up stuff to defend Nintendo!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Take the heat out of this discussion or don't post it here, If I have to delete a post I'l be warning the poster as well.
    If they ignore the advice, they'll be taking a break from the forum too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Just got my text from Smyths. Order ready for collection. Whoop!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

glasso wrote: »
    And Nintendo knows how to do this with N64 first party 3D games

They re-released Majora's Mask on the new 3DS and implemented free camera control using the new 3DS's second analogue stick

That was not exactly that long ago - how difficult could it really be to reuse this work - everyone knows that programming is all about re-use of similar prior work.

That wasn't Nintendo, BTW, that was Grezzo that handled the OOT and Majora's Mask 3D remakes. And they were full priced, full remakes of single games, rather than re-releasing slightly tweaked versions of the originals in a 3-for-1 deal.

• Advertisement

Star Lord wrote: »
    That wasn't Nintendo, BTW, that was Grezzo that handled the OOT and Majora's Mask 3D remakes. And they were full priced, full remakes of single games, rather than re-releasing slightly tweaked versions of the originals in a 3-for-1 deal.

I fully agree with you that those releases (MM and OoT) were full re-workings for the 3DS.

but if it (camera right-stick) has been done before wrt an N64 3D first-party game so that part of the work could be reused / leveraged even if it was done in a full remake. If an amateur coder can make a perfectly workable x-axis camera in little time why can't a full dev house do it. Nintendo would own all the assets even if sub-contracted as it's a first-party IP.

Text received from Smyths this evening to collect it in the morning, I'll probably play the first level in each game just to see what they look like! Has anyone on here played it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

just as a matter of interest, what's the download size?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Text received from Smyths this evening to collect it in the morning, I'll probably play the first level in each game just to see what they look like! Has anyone on here played it yet?

I've only played Super Mario 64 so far.

It's great fun. Brings me right back. Some niggles that are clearly due to the advance in tech since but overall, great to play!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

€60.49 in Argos. Stocks are patchy. Some sold out, some stores have 5+.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Just reserved mine. One left in Dun Laoghaire Argos.

I've only played Super Mario 64 so far.

It's great fun. Brings me right back. Some niggles that are clearly due to the advance in tech since but overall, great to play!

Cool good to hear, I've been playing through Odyssey with my daughter, we're going to start 64 together later! I think she'll enjoy it!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

CastorTroy wrote: »
    just as a matter of interest, what's the download size?

Listed as 5013MB on the UK eshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭McFly85

Just did the first few stars of Galaxy, hadn’t played it since it came out-absolutely magic. The controls in handheld are understandably slightly annoying at times but I think will be fine after some getting used to-but I do plan to use the TV for it when I can.

Still a great looking game too, and the music is phenomenal. Weekend sorted!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

anyone else get delayed from GameStop online?

I know they have a bad rep but the last 3 switch games I preordered arrived a day early so wasn’t too worried about this.

Hope I get it Monday

Advertisement