Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Ninty Gets!

• 30-06-2014 3:51pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sorry to the most awesome mod in these parts for starting such a thread.
    And I acknowledge the overlap between this forum and the retro game forum.
    But I think Nintendo fans out there who love their WiiU and Wii, maybe love their new 3DSXL, should be aware of the Ninty fresh goodness out there and purchases of same.
    Perhaps expanding knowledge and encouraging awesome spending on Nintendo gems they might never have come across.

Today I got three things of interest.

First was a lovely mint Gameboy Micro, dressed in black.
    This console is a real peach, and hosts a tiny form factor and a small, crisp screen.
    This is probably my 4th GB Micro over the years and a fabulous piece of kit.
    No Nintendo owner who loves the company's output should be without one.
    Like the GBA and GBA:SP it is compatible with the entire GBA back catalogue, but unlike those other machines the GB Micro won't run your Gameboy or Gameboy Color library.

I also picked up Boktai and Boktai 2, both made by Kojima, the gent behind Metal Gear Solid and Zone of Enders, very nice GBA rpgs they are too, using actual sunlight to power up your weapon.

So, a few very nice Nintendo gets there.
    I can't recommend picking up Nintendo hardware enough, it is almost all worth having, aside perhaps for the badly made Wii Mini, piece of sh1te that it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Technically not a recent purchase so this may not count, although it may as well be. I had a good root around my attic a couple of weeks back for no good reason and found this little collection:

14564717293_0b9868c8ac_z.jpg

It honestly must have been sitting up there for 20 years. It was extremely well wrapped so it is in mint condition with all relevant power leads. The boxes are a little worn but the manuals are still there! Everything works 100% (of course).

The sticker on the Tom & Jerry game reads £24.95 punts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Ah Digger, I remember that game , used to love that as a kid :-)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I bought a NES with 12 games (10 boxed). Spent an evenuing opening her up and cleaning it but, apart from 1 game, it's working fine!

I have never owned and NES :D

Will post pics later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I bought a NES with 12 games (10 boxed). Spent an evenuing opening her up and cleaning it but, apart from 1 game, it's working fine!

I have never owned and NES :D

Will post pics later.

If I might suggest getting a Famicom to Nes adapter, then picking up some gems like Parodius, Gradius and Gradius 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Just bought a new N64 controller with the stick intact. Now to play dk64 again!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just bought a new N64 controller with the stick intact. Now to play dk64 again!

Nooooo!
    Play 1080 Snowboarding instead!
    Also Excitebike 64 makes great use of the controller.

Absolutely love 1080 but I want to play the rare games that won't make the vc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Perfect Dark is an excellent N64 title.
    It's better with 2 controllers but you can get away with using just 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,575 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Where'd the gba micro come from? I dearly regret not getting one of them when they were out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CrinkElite wrote: »
    Perfect Dark is an excellent N64 title.
    It's better with 2 controllers but you can get away with using just 1.

That game has aged extremely poorly. It's not very good at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Where'd the gba micro come from? I dearly regret not getting one of them when they were out.
    They appeared in 2005 and swiftly disappeared I picked one up when HMV were selling them off for €10 (or similar) not 100% where it is now but micro is the best name for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Nooooo!
    Play 1080 Snowboarding instead!
    Also Excitebike 64 makes great use of the controller.

I bought a pal (I know dont shoot me, I didnt know any better at the time) N64 a couple of years ago to give me the nostalgic kick I was looking for.

1080 is one game that imo looks and plays as fantastically now as it did back in the day. Best snow boarding game to this day imo.

Another game that has aged really well and is as playable today as it was in the day is Lylat Wars. Tbh its pretty much the only reason I still have my N64 hooked up to the telly and not up in the attic.

I still play this every other week for a good hour or two. Its brilliant.

I have another 10games or so I'd say but realistically there not great. They aged very poorly graphically and unfortunately game play wise as well.

The likes of Goldeneye, a game I spent a stupid amount of time playing as a teenager is now god awful to control for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I think the N64 controller is just awful these days. Thats why I don't have one, in fact. If I can pick one of them adaptors that lets you play the thing with a gamecube controller, we're in business.

The Micro is a must have.
    I've had... A few over the years and bought and sold them all.
    No more I say!
    This lovely black one is here to stay.
    And, keeping an eye on Adverts, you should pick one up, with a charger, for less than €40, and very happy you'll be too.
    They were designed with the mobile phone gaming market in mind, apparently. That was growing, particularly in Japan, at the time and the typical GBA was rather larger than a cell, as was the concurrently launched DS.
    So, to tap in, they made the GB Micro the same size as a typical bar type mobile phone.
    Sadly, the console was undersubscribed and the DS and DS Lite made it irrelevant to the majority out there.
    However, there is probably no nicer way to play your GBA games, besides a GBA:SP 101, though it is easier to use in non gaming company as most folk don't know what it is!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That game has aged extremely poorly. It's not very good at all.

Never played it so I've bought it, yoshis island and silicone spacesstation to check them out. I'll be up to 40 N64 games then?
    How many were there?
    Gotta catch em all.

Blast Corps is one of the best on the N64 imho, and get Glover if you can too.
    Actually, I've an ad on Adverts selling tons of N64 games cart only, if you really want to catch em all!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Blast Corps is one of the best on the N64 imho, and get Glover if you can too.
    Actually, I've an ad on Adverts selling tons of N64 games cart only, if you really want to catch em all!

Cool, I'll check it out. 243 in total on pal. Eeek, I've a long way to go :pac:
    If only I hadn't given away conker's bad fur day!

Cool, I'll check it out. 243 in total on pal. Eeek, I've a long way to go :pac:
    If only I hadn't given away conker's bad fur day!

I have that for sale too ;)

I dare not ask for how much. It and crystal shards are crazy money now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Cidey, have you just robbed your own forum of traffic?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

What I've gotten in the last couple months:

Xeboblade Chronicles LE x2 new
    Last Story new
    Pandora's Tower LE
    Metroid Trilogy new
    Mario Kart Wii with Wheel new
    Mario Kart 8 LE with shell new
    Pokemon a typing x2 new
    Mario Power Tennis x2 new
    Smash Bros LE wii used
    Smash Bros Wii new
    Animal Vrossing Wii new
    Minster Hunter tri Wii new
    Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword new
    Pokepark 1and 2 new
    Dragon Quest Sentinels Starry Sky new
    Dragon Quest Joker 2 new
    Mario vs Donkey Kong march of the minis New
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon explorers of the sky new
    Super Mario 3Dland 3ds bundle x2 new
    Ocarina of a Time 3ds new
    PAC-man party 3ds new
    Resident evil mercenaries 3ds new
    Pokemon gates to infinity 3ds new
    Paper Mario 3ds new
    Metal gear solid 3ds new
    Mario tennis 3ds new
    Star fix 64 3ds new
    Sonic generations 3ds new
    Pilot wings resort 3ds new
    Splinter cell 3ds new
    Mario 3d land 3ds new
    Pokemon rumble 3ds new
    Ridge racer 3ds new
    Bravely default 3ds used
    Link between worlds used
    Donkey kong country returns 3ds new
    Solatrorobo ds new

And I would like to say thanks to argos, tesco, xtravision and cex for having some great prices lately.
    And also the guys on here and retro forum for pointing out all the deals.
    Now I wish I had €330 to spend on a WiiU, so I can play mario kart on my own system.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Cidey, have you just robbed your own forum of traffic?? :D

Seems a shame to have a Nintendo forum but limit it to the current gen.
    Nintendo goodness is goodness indeed, regardless of vintage!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I thought the Micro was too small. I used to have the GBA with attachable backlight and magnifying glass. Those were the days. Same for the Game Boy. Had the same set up. It was glorious playing Pokemon Silver in the middle of the night with a light and magnified pixels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I could never get my backlight to work :( the GBA SP remains my favourite console of all time, the nights I stayed up playing stuff with that lovely screen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I thought the Micro was too small.

It is for any proper amount of play time. But still a nice device. A screen-modded GBA or AGS101 are the best GBA's to get - the improved screens are lightyears better than the standard versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

The screen on the micro is really nice. So it's a good machine for a quick blast of Super Mario World. But anything more and the form factor works against it.

Still happy to have one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Andrew76 wrote: »
    It is for any proper amount of play time. But still a nice device. A screen-modded GBA or AGS101 are the best GBA's to get - the improved screens are lightyears better than the standard versions.

I'd actually more so go for a DS lite as the best way to play GBA games. Got a new one there myself at the weekend mostly for that purpose. The console is getting hard to find in mint condition and the fact that the Chinese cloned the hardware perfectly is making finding the genuine article difficult.

Sure, a great way to play lovely GBA goodness is on a banjaxed DS Lite.
    A little rewire and broken hinged DS Lites can be adapted to play GBA on the wonderful lower screen, meaning you get GBA:SP AGS 101 results for about €5.

Here's the procedure

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The DSLite d-pad can be a killer whenever you're playing something action heavy.

• Advertisement

Picked up No More Heroes 2 for the Wii today in Gamestop, only a tenner.
    They have a decent range of Wii titles in the Blanch shop.
    Might head back when the wife gives me some pocket money!

Advertisement