Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garmin Vivoactive 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭OnLooker

I got it for £124 a few weeks ago. Very good watch.

The newer model is double the price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

Is there much of a difference between this and the 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

I have the 3 (Music version) and I love it.
    I bought the 4 (4S) for my wife earlier this year and she loves that so I've experience of both.

While I prefer the look of the 3 Music to the ordinary 3, the battery life on the base model is better by about two days and I believe the buzzer is stronger.
    The storage caused some compromise to keep the casings the same size. It can sync a Spotify playlist over wifi for playing direct to headphones.

They're very similar, but the 4 can measure blood oxygen leve (Pulse Ox, SpO2)l and is a bit cleverer with heartrate information allowing for a body battery reading. Either one is capable of going around a week between charges depending on how much you use GPS.

They're both great watches and the 3 at this price is fantastic value.
    We both used Pebble for years and I've tried lots of watches I didn't like before finding the Garmin.

The 4 comes in two sizes - the normal at 45mm and the 4S at 40mm. The 3 is in between at 43mm.
    The 4S takes a smaller strap at 18mm compared to the 3's 20mm if you already have any quick release ones from other watches.

Both models have NFC for payments and are compatible with Revolut but not AIB/BOI etc yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭bromley52

Garmin Pay works with KBC Bank as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

Curve card also supported on Garmin pay now. Which effectively let you use any card you want. Very useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

Off topic but does garmin pay work with Revolut now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

4 posts up. Yes it does.

Sounds good - have been looking at the 4s for a bit of a price drop the last week or so, hasn't moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭kenyard

Garmins are annoying for garmin pay. You have to type in a pin code every 24 hours or 3 payments, limit is apparently 30 quid I haven't gone above that or tried but saw there was one.
    Take it off it doesn't work and you need to type pin code again (this I can understand as if someone robbed it this locks it)
    Also getting your wrist at an angle to the reader especially the fixed ones can be awkward (which is why I mentioned taking it off as I considered this sometimes so I wouldn't have to twist my entire body upside-down)
    I was excited for these and was going to get one for the mother so she wouldn't be paying everything in cash but honestly nfc on the phone just works easier and better.
    I've used this only a handful of times.

Stylish as hell tho and great besides this little gripe. Vivomove style I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭bromley52

kenyard wrote: »
    Garmins are annoying for garmin pay. You have to type in a pin code every 24 hours or 3 payments, limit is apparently 30 quid I haven't gone above that or tried but saw there was one.
    Take it off it doesn't work and you need to type pin code again (this I can understand as if someone robbed it this locks it)
    Also getting your wrist at an angle to the reader especially the fixed ones can be awkward (which is why I mentioned taking it off as I considered this sometimes so I wouldn't have to twist my entire body upside-down)
    I was excited for these and was going to get one for the mother so she wouldn't be paying everything in cash but honestly nfc on the phone just works easier and better.
    I've used this only a handful of times.

Stylish as hell tho and great besides this little gripe. Vivomove style I have.

I have the Vivoactive 3 for nearly 2 years. When I don't have my phone I use Garmin Pay with KBC. There is no Garmin enforced limit as far as I can see. The only limit would be the one enforced by your financial institution. I don't mind the 5sec it takes me to punch in the PIN. Its certainly better than touching the filthy terminal key pads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Watch states swimming but anyone know does it do open water

• Registered Users Posts: 43 onetwofourthree

I've used it in open water for not particularly long swims, and while it works in the sea (as in it didn't malfunction after 20 mins), it's better (only?) suited to swimming pools where you do lengths. i tried doing laps between two markers in the sea to get it to read distance, but it didn't work the way i thought it would. perhaps someone with more experience of the technology might know how to, but I couldn't work it out while bobbing away in the water. Useful for timing your swims though.

Aside from that, great watch IMO.

Really thinking of pulling the trigger on a 4s, just wondering what are the chances either version coming down for Black Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

mad m wrote: »
    Watch states swimming but anyone know does it do open water

Very good in the pool but it doesn’t do open water accurately compared to a full on triathlon Garmin watch.

Used it a lot in the lake during the last lockdown.

There is an app you can add for open water swimming but it was still way off compared to one of the triathlon watches.

Good for golf though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭Genghis

Anyone know how this compares to say. Fitbit Versa3? Is for my wife, main uses for activity tracking (steps) and notifications. Must look good too ;)

Researching both of these hoping to pick up on Black Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭djo789

I just got out of a fitbit relationship of many years I wouldn't recommend "Versa 1" was my last one it was replaced in 2019 with because 1 buttons didn't work after a year ! got a warranty replacement 1 year later same issue. granted he versa 3 has no buttons but I do find the software app buggy depending on the updates notifications may stop working or other issues. I also saw a review of the versa 3 that thought the processor appeared to be slower than expected & it affected the user experience. My wife has a versa 1 too she hasn't had the hardware issues I had but it will be a Garmin for her next time. I got a Vivoactive 4 about 2 weeks ago I'm getting used to it but I'm starting to like it the amount of supported apps for it is impressive. the prices haven't dropped on them much perhaps on "Sales Friday" it will drop ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I find a good place for checking out the features is desfit.

https://youtu.be/-M-PAfN5-oQ
    https://youtu.be/IDcakqddUCU

This vivoactive 3 is an older watch which is why the price has dropped. It's a decent at this price. Not much point comparing it with Fitbit Versa 3 which is brand new model and over twice the price. Another option is another older watch the Garmin 645 which is 245 in Argos at the moment.

I found the Garmin straps a little short. If you have a large wrist you might have to factor in buying a longer strap. Fitbits have a short and a long strap in the box. So factor that into the cost.

Maybe different models have different straps. I measured all the straps watches in the house when I tried the 645 and its was the same length as the short fitbit one.
    The only other watches I've ever had a problem with are swatches.

I didn't think so. Never had issue with normal Casio's etc.

Anyway my only point was if you have to change strap it adds a small bit to the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Genghis wrote: »
    Anyone know how this compares to say. Fitbit Versa3? Is for my wife, main uses for activity tracking (steps) and notifications. Must look good too ;)

Not exactly comparing what you ask but incase it helps, I had a fitbit Versa 2 earlier in the year and later returned it and went for a Vivoactive 4.

They are worlds apart IMO. Vivoactive 4 looks better, has a better app, very accurate tracking/GPS, you can store music on it and connect to wireless headphones (saves bringing your phone on a run).

The reason I returned the fitbit was because it essentially did not track distance correctly. It would repeatedly be off by a long way (5k run coming in as 3.8k for example) and therefore completely mess with your pace and time and everything. More I looked into online the more I found this to be a common problem and it was not something fitbit could fix, it seemed to be a software problem rather than something wrong with the fitbit itself.

Maybe the Versa 3 will be an improvement as it has built in GPS like the Garmin but I wouldn't be recommending fitbit products. I don't think the Vivoactive 3 has music either so just bare that in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭event

Genghis wrote: »

Keep an eye out For the Garmin Venu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭Genghis

Thanks for all the responses re Fitbit Vs Garmin.

Am a long time Garmin user myself, was tending towards them but my wife preferred the look of the FitBit.

Overall though it looks like Garmin wins. Narrowed down thanks to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Re the SPO2 I wouldn't let that sway you. I have the Garmin Forerunner 245 Music and the SPO2 is wildly inaccurate to the point of being useless. I think this may be the case with SPO2 on all watches but it certainly is with Garmin. I don't think the technology is there yet.

Even if I sit completely still during the reading it reads really low. When I test it with a finger oximeter it is fine. I even had my Doctor check it the last time I was in and she confirmed that the watch reading was way off. If you are concerned about SPO2 get a cheap finger Oximeter. Preferably one that is CE and or FDA approved. You should get a decent one for 30 or 40 quid. There are more expensive options out there too.

The Garmin watches are great but don't pay more for the SPO2 feature. It's not even useful as a rough guide. That is a great price for the Vivoactive 3 by the way. If you are into fitness the Garmin watches seem much better than Fitbit although the sleep tracking is poor on Garmin. I've heard Fitbit are better on that front. But it's not something I bother with.

Just to add a good site for watch reviews is DC Rainmaker. He goes into great detail a lot of which is too much for me. But you can always just skip through sections or go to the conclusion. He usually has a video and a written review. Some say he is pro Garmin but in fairness he often gives them stick when he thinks they have got it wrong.

Advertisement