Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

kingbowser wrote: »
    I got this collection having played and loved 64 and Galaxy.

64 still looks totally authentic ... because it was the first to do it right ... right ! :)
    Still the same magic running around and climbing the trees outside the castle.
    Gorgeous music too. Sliding down that slide ... Instant smile on face. :)

Galaxy is a gigantic game. Still the same brilliance. Plus better looking now in HD.
    Is BEE Mario the best Mario. The music, the atmosphere...

Then I boot up Sunshine, having never played it before.
    And WTF it looks ugly and there are stupid voiceovers.
    And that stupid water spout ... aggghhh feels wrong ....
    First time a mainline 2d or 3d mario felt wrong to me.

So .. I'm going to have to give it another spin ...
    Maybe I was tired.
    Must try harder !

100% this on sunshine but I'm still gonna persevere with it 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 19,575 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Sunshine looks and sounds beautiful.

(Not you FLUDD. You just shut yer hole.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kingbowser

PS5/XBOX S/X 120 FPS 4K HDR - 0 <-> Bee Hive Galaxy - 10

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I am guessing I'm the minority who has fond memories of Sunshine (despite some of the frustrating bits) but not of Mario 64 (first played on the Wii Virtual Console), which just feels to me like a really annoying camera and simple level design. It's made a lot worse having played Odyssey and (some of) Galaxy since that first playthrough, and I'm not sure I can be bothered wading through it again just because it's there. I tried about an hour of it when I first booted up the collection and it didn't grab me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sunshine was the only 3D Mario game to even mildly disappoint upon it's launch, but it was still leagues ahead of anything competing systems, the PS2 and Xbox, could offer in the same genre.
    A bit like Twilight Princess, which was no one's idea of the best Legend of Zelda game but it was better than anything else out in that console generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Sunshine was the only 3D Mario game to even mildly disappoint upon it's launch, but it was still leagues ahead of anything competing systems, the PS2 and Xbox, could offer in the same genre.
    A bit like Twilight Princess, which was no one's idea of the best Legend of Zelda game but it was better than anything else out in that console generation.

I think the problem with Sunshine is the difficulty spikes - There's a certain player who wants a fun experience with a little challenge, but something that is fair, and there's someone who wants a tough as nails challenge. This game mixes them up where it's normally divided into main game, and post game.

To use your example, Twilight Princess did something similar - it gave too much backstory - the first 2-3 hours before you can turn back into Link just drags - I find that if I suffer through that, I love the rest of the game, but most of my attempted replays cannot get through the opening couple of hours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not even that they are difficulty spikes, it's that some of them are just badly designed. It's the kind of stuff you'd see in something like Crash Bandicoot and wouldnt expect from a Nintendo game. Makes it very obvious it was rushed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The level design certainly has some clunky elements, most notably for me in the Pinna Park area and the FLUDDless levels. Pinna Park is a great idea for a level significantly let down by the camera implementation, because there are a bunch of spots where it's far too finicky to line up jumps or land where you're aiming.

Meanwhile, the FLUDDless levels are a bit sloppy in design and the worst examples of fighting against the camera (Ricco Bay's Secret Tower was immensely frustrating for this reason). It would be lovely to have an option a la SM3DW to offer players an assist if they're repeatedly struggling with a level, because while I have thus far eventually cleared each of the FLUDDless levels that have challenged me, they have been a real damper on the fun until I got past them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's not even that they are difficulty spikes, it's that some of them are just badly designed. It's the kind of stuff you'd see in something like Crash Bandicoot and wouldnt expect from a Nintendo game. Makes it very obvious it was rushed.

I didn't necessarily mean that they were intentional difficulty spikes! As you said, it's poor design, like it was put together incorrectly. Most of the FLUDDless levels seem like they should have been FLUDD levels with the End of Game challenge being FLUDDless.

So in this case, I'm just going to focus on story completion, not Shine Completion, as I don't have the desire to add more stress to my life :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

At the time I thought the FLUDDless levels were a wonderful throwback to the madness of Mario 64, as the rest of the game was very grounded in "real world" levels.
    But I can sense the frustration building now, as I try to negotiate them some 18 years later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

For all the talk of annoying levels in Sunshine, there is a special place in hell for the designer of Shifting Sand Land in Mario 64. The insta-death quicksand is so annoying and has put me off the level entirely. The star inside the pyramid is the only one I enjoyed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

chrislad wrote: »

So in this case, I'm just going to focus on story completion, not Shine Completion, as I don't have the desire to add more stress to my life :)

You have to complete at least
    7 shines
    per level, I believe, unless you have some way to skip some

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kingbowser

For all the talk of annoying levels in Sunshine, there is a special place in hell for the designer of Shifting Sand Land in Mario 64. The insta-death quicksand is so annoying and has put me off the level entirely. The star inside the pyramid is the only one I enjoyed at all.

I never ever found that level annoying. Simpler times.

Actually I like where Mario gets his cap stolen by a vulture...
    Is that a precursor to Cappy in Super Mario Odyssey I wonder ...

Definitely need an Odyssey 2 !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I loved that world. Immense fun. I must be the only person here who prefers 64 and Sunshine to Odyssey. So much so that I'm halfway through odyssey but stopped to complete all 3 of these first. Only the red coins in the sky left for my final grand star in 64 and need to find my Galaxy 2 disc then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,575 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I loved that world. Immense fun. I must be the only person here who prefers 64 and Sunshine to Odyssey.

I'm with you on this for definite.

Ah lads. I just got to the pachinko level, aka bad pinball. What a half-arsed load of bullplop that level is, complete with baffling tweaks to momentum so that using the dive or ground pound to get where I wanted Mario to be don't work. If it was designed such that you can platform your way through it instead of playing the pachinko way it could be fun, but no, of course not. If I did complete this back when I first played Sunshine, I've completely forgotten it since.

Ugh. I still really like the FLUDD idea and most of Delfino Isle (Pianta Village can get in the sea, though), but man this is one unpolished game. I think I probably would pay for a proper remaster that addresses its many issues, but I doubt Nintendo would be bothered with one any time soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For pachinko, for me anyway, when I was bounced if I didn't touch anything, I would land on a pin on the left hand side then could navigate most of the coins from there. For the top and one on the right, I held right on the stick when going up

The habit of the camera clipping through walls is the only thing that is bugging me about Sunshine.
    Well, maybe poor signposting of area goals, but then I forgive it all when I am on a rollercoaster, aiming water and rockets at a Mecha-Bowser!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Newbie question....getting the young lad a Switch for Christmas. His cousin is also getting one, and he will be getting this game included with it.

If I buy this game will they be able to play with/against each other online? If not I am not going to bother getting it and will get Animal Crossings or something else. They will probably be playing with each other using Fortnite anyway.

Thanks

Newbie question....getting the young lad a Switch for Christmas. His cousin is also getting one, and he will be getting this game included with it.

If I buy this game will they be able to play with/against each other online? If not I am not going to bother getting it and will get Animal Crossings or something else. They will probably be playing with each other using Fortnite anyway.

Thanks

There's no online or multiplayer aspect to 3D All-Stars, it's all local single-player.

If they both get Switches, they'll be able to play Rocket League and Fortnite (along with a few others) for free online. I mention these to as they specifically don't require Nintendo Switch Online, whereas a lot of Switch games with online multiplayer do require it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Thanks

If it isn't a f2p game like Fortnite a Nintendo sub will be required. I would advise getting a family sub, which you can have up to 8 accounts on, and putting both of them on it. Its €20 a year for an individual sub and you can get a family sub for €30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Finished Sunshine but no chance I'm getting 120 like I did in Mario 64, I think I ended with 69 or something.

Some very frustrating levels - probably my least favourite Mario ever, though it is still miles better than most other games.

The last world, Pianta Village has some quite frustrating stars to get. That fludless one where you get tossed from point to point was arguably one of the worst designed Mario levels I've ever played.

I had only vague memories of Pianta Village before picking up 3D All-Stars, but I'm done with the other worlds now and it's really feeling like a slog to get through Pianta Village. I'm still glad I picked up the cart and have largely enjoyed revisiting Sunshine, because there's a lot to like in it, but it has been eye-opening to see how rough it is in places.

I decided to wade through Pianta Village tonight and got through the required Shine sprites to trigger the final boss. Agree with others that, with other 3D Mario games to serve as comparison, Corona Mountain is a glaringly sparse level and was clearly originally intended to be much longer.

Anyway, I have wrapped up my playthrough with 81 shines and about 20 hours of play, so I'm going to leave it there for now. I don't think I'll try to get all the remaining shines, but I'll probably dip in now and again to just run around and muck about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

The first patch will incorporate inverted camera controls.

No word of Gamecube pad support for Sunshine though, which might tip me into buy.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-27-nintendo-will-add-super-mario-3d-all-stars-inverted-camera-control

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I find myself playing Sunshine, getting one shine, and then trying for another one and immediately end up turning it off in frustration because of how damn imprecise everything is. Even the simple act of jumping - so integral to Mario - feels off.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭barryribs

glasso wrote: »
    you must have forgotten to don the mandatory rose-tinted glasses for your play session.

don't forget next time!

You're really salty about this. If you don't like it, don't buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The first patch will incorporate inverted camera controls.

No word of Gamecube pad support for Sunshine though, which might tip me into buy.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-27-nintendo-will-add-super-mario-3d-all-stars-inverted-camera-control

Any sign of this yet, it's what has had me holding off. Can't play third person games without inverted controls.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If this discussion regresses into negativity I'll be issuing infractions without a prior warning.
    Keep that in mind please and, it goes without saying, please do not ignore mod instructions.
    If you don't agree, then post elsewhere

I'm going to leave this here rather than repeat myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

glasso wrote: »
    you need to change the thread title then to be upfront - suffix with "only say nice things" or something.

There's saying a game is bad and then there is replying to everyone who states they're enjoying it about why they're wrong.

Advertisement