Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is an Eero legal to operate in Ireland?

• 02-04-2020 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Hi!

What with Working from Home, I'm slowly starting to go insane with the rubbish Virgin Media hub. Despite living in a tiny house (less than 80 sqm), it seems unable to bath the whole place in a decent signal. I have some pretty thick walls, to be fair.

Anyway, I was looking at getting an Eero to replace the router functionality - I'm drawn to it being a mesh system so I can add on to it later if needs be (although I really hope I don't). I'm also drawn to it supporting HomeKit to allow me to box off all my smart-home bull**** from being able to connect to the network without proxying through HomeKit.

One thing I came across while researching it is that there are suggestions that it isn't legal to operate in certain parts of Europe, due to the frequencies it broadcasts.

Does anybody know if the UK model complies with our WiFi spectrum regulations? I haven't been able to track down exactly what frequencies are allowed operate for a WiFi device in Ireland, but I'm guessing that they're probably the same as the UK. And if so, I'm set.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

slasher_65 wrote: »
    Hi!

What with Working from Home, I'm slowly starting to go insane with the rubbish Virgin Media hub. Despite living in a tiny house (less than 80 sqm), it seems unable to bath the whole place in a decent signal. I have some pretty thick walls, to be fair.

Anyway, I was looking at getting an Eero to replace the router functionality - I'm drawn to it being a mesh system so I can add on to it later if needs be (although I really hope I don't). I'm also drawn to it supporting HomeKit to allow me to box off all my smart-home bull**** from being able to connect to the network without proxying through HomeKit.

One thing I came across while researching it is that there are suggestions that it isn't legal to operate in certain parts of Europe, due to the frequencies it broadcasts.

Does anybody know if the UK model complies with our WiFi spectrum regulations? I haven't been able to track down exactly what frequencies are allowed operate for a WiFi device in Ireland, but I'm guessing that they're probably the same as the UK. And if so, I'm set.

I expect anything certified for the UK would be certified for the whole EU at present (may change with Brexit).

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

dam099 wrote: »
    I expect anything certified for the UK would be certified for the whole EU at present (may change with Brexit).

That was my thinking too, but I'm trying to be certain. Eero broadcasts at 2.4 GHz, 5.2 GHz and 5.8 GHz. 2.4 GHz is definitely fine for use with home wifi, but I can't find any evidence that 5.2 and 5.8 are OK for use here, and all routers I've found for sale in Ireland seem to operate on two 5 GHz bands.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Did you ever find out if Eero is compatible here? I'm looking at getting one myself but have similar concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

Toots wrote: »
    Did you ever find out if Eero is compatible here? I'm looking at getting one myself but have similar concerns.

While I’ve thrown out all the documentation that came with it, I do remember seeing a line in the legalese which said it was certified to operate in Ireland.

And I haven’t been arrested yet!

It’s a great router by the way - totally solved my problem. I recommended a three pack to a friend with a larger house who says that it has fully solved all of his issues too.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Ours arrived 3 days ago and it has been amazing, super fast speeds, no dead spots and latency has dropped from 890+ms down to about 60ms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

This is on sale with Amazon now and have had similar issues. Do you know will it work with cable (Virgin) broadband, assume there is no difference vs DSL as it's only performing the router capability and takes internet source from RJ45?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

slasher_65 wrote: »
    That was my thinking too, but I'm trying to be certain. Eero broadcasts at 2.4 GHz, 5.2 GHz and 5.8 GHz. 2.4 GHz is definitely fine for use with home wifi, but I can't find any evidence that 5.2 and 5.8 are OK for use here, and all routers I've found for sale in Ireland seem to operate on two 5 GHz bands.

Looks like 5Ghz is just shorthand for a range of frequencies between 5.2 and 5.8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5_GHz_or_5.9_GHz_(802.11a/h/j/n/ac/ax)

Advertisement