Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interdepartmental HEO Competition 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

JamPack wrote: »
    It's Thursday actually, "3pm on the 21st." Just in case you're rushing through it, you have an extra day ��

Oh amazing! I have been swamped and had no time to get it finished! Need to get it done ASAP

Lots of copying and pasting happening! :-)
    I'm trying to do this one from scratch because I got cut at AP shortlisting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

For the Policy Development/Implementation question I wonder are they expecting you to write nothing if you haven't dealt with official government policy stuff.. Or can the question be wrangled to fit like the development of new office policy?

It says "(if any)" so it gives me the impression that they only want to see official policy development there or nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

Jade182 wrote: »
    For the Policy Development/Implementation question I wonder are they expecting you to write nothing if you haven't dealt with official government policy stuff.. Or can the question be wrangled to fit like the development of new office policy?

It says "(if any)" so it gives me the impression that they only want to see official policy development there or nothing at all.

Would also like to know this! I'm not in a policy area so I assume no point trying to conjure something abstract? Better to leave blank or does that hurt your application?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

dont leave it blank. you will not get shortlisted no matter how excellent your other competencies are. try and put some policy related work in. its designed to cut the amoint going to tge next stage without policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ml123

I've downloaded the form and theres no developing policy question on mine at all.... there s 2 questions, no.1 is is to provide a description which demonstrates significant experience of managing ppl and no 2 asks to provide description which demonstrates significant experience of managing projects and budgets.. ..

I haven't missed any pages (they re all numbered and are in sync)....there's nothing at all about policy development on my application form??

ml123 wrote: »
    I've downloaded the form and theres no developing policy question on mine at all.... there s 2 questions, no.1 is is to provide a description which demonstrates significant experience of managing ppl and no 2 asks to provide description which demonstrates significant experience of managing projects and budgets.. ..

I haven't missed any pages (they re all numbered and are in sync)....there's nothing at all about policy development on my application form??

Are you sure you're looking at the form for this competition? There are definitely more than two questions on this form. Go directly through the URL link that the OP provided and download the form there.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

ml123 wrote: »

There’s five questions on the form one is about policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ml123

Thanks a million for replies....I had a completely different HEO form downloaded that requested 3 competencies and 2 general questions!! I cannot fathom where I got that form from!

Am now totally stuck on the Policy Q :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BobCat123

Having a bit of an issue whether I can apply for this competition. I was promoted as an AO last November so I'm still on probation. Two points that stand out on eligibility.

"Officers on probation are not eligible to compete except where they would have been eligible had they remained in their previous grade"

"Grades equivalent to the HEO grade (same max pay scale" are not eligible to compete in this promotion competition"

Both contradict each other. I would have sufficient service years to apply before my promotion but not sure if i can. Anyone in the same boat?

• Advertisement

AO can not apply for HEO

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

dont leave it blank. you will not get shortlisted no matter how excellent your other competencies are. try and put some policy related work in. its designed to cut the amoint going to tge next stage without policy.

Thats unfortunate!!

I asked my PO to give a look over my application yesterday and asked would I be at a disadvantage because I have no policy example, he said no.

Have to tidy it up today and hopefully I'll get it submitted this afternoon.

Skippette wrote: »
    Thats unfortunate!!

I asked my PO to give a look over my application yesterday and asked would I be at a disadvantage because I have no policy example, he said no.

Have to tidy it up today and hopefully I'll get it submitted this afternoon.

I'm going to try wrangle something to fit into that section just to be sure, to be sure.

Fingers crossed and best of luck :)

Don’t forget it’s clising tomorrow @3

• Registered Users Posts: 49 squelch666

BobCat123 wrote: »
    Having a bit of an issue whether I can apply for this competition. I was promoted as an AO last November so I'm still on probation. Two points that stand out on eligibility.

"Officers on probation are not eligible to compete except where they would have been eligible had they remained in their previous grade"

"Grades equivalent to the HEO grade (same max pay scale" are not eligible to compete in this promotion competition"

Both contradict each other. I would have sufficient service years to apply before my promotion but not sure if i can. Anyone in the same boat?

HI bobcat can i ask are you marking time with the AO?

Just submitted application there, as I said earlier, I don't think I will make it through the shortlisting but fingers crossed!!!

Well I've completed this part of the torture process, lol, its submitted...without any Policy answer.

Best of luck everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Rosie_ob

Hi all,

How have people answered the requirement on the intructions page of the supplementary questions:

Part c: ‘your estimate of the proportion of credit you can claim for the outcome’

Are people given themselves a percentage ?? Or hoping it’s clear from there answer?

Rosie_ob wrote: »
    Hi all,

How have people answered the requirement on the intructions page of the supplementary questions:

Part c: ‘your estimate of the proportion of credit you can claim for the outcome’

Are people given themselves a percentage ?? Or hoping it’s clear from there answer?

I didn't given a percentage, I just said what I was responsible for. Hoping its good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

Skippette wrote: »
    I didn't given a percentage, I just said what I was responsible for. Hoping its good enough.

I did the same. It's impossible in most situations to give a percent figure, it would just be guesswork and therefore pointless. I just hope my description of duties/tasks I performed will give them a clear indication of exactly what I was responsible for achieving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Rosie_ob

Thanks I’m the same gave a clear description of exactly what I did, it’s just something that was brought to my attention about giving a proportion of credit and it has me second guessing my approach!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

Didn't give a percentage/proportion really either. It's clear from the answer my input.

Submitted it there. It was very difficult to let it go, kept fidgeting with the answers to the questions. Still not sure if they're anywhere near what most people would have.

Bit of a pain that we have to go through the tests first to find out if the forms are any good at shortlisting.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Halpenny

Question about the application form's Team Leadership Experience section. "Please provide an example which demonstrates that you have significant relevant Team Leadership experience. Please provide your numbers of direct reports."

If they want us to provide a specific situation which demonstrates the leadership competency then how does "Please provide your numbers of direct reports" fit in? Am I the only person who finds that odd?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭citygal93

I get what you mean - your example of good leadership might not exactly include any number of reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Still working on this form.

My AP was supposed to look at it but has been off sick and my PO was only around yesterday to see it. Roll on 3 o'clock because at least then It'll be gone!

I doubt I've much hope of it being shortlisted but I'm giving it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Halpenny wrote: »
    Question about the application form's Team Leadership Experience section. "Please provide an example which demonstrates that you have significant relevant Team Leadership experience. Please provide your numbers of direct reports."

If they want us to provide a specific situation which demonstrates the leadership competency then how does "Please provide your numbers of direct reports" fit in? Am I the only person who finds that odd?
    How many people did you lead???

The energy going into this form and I probably won't even pass the tests.
    Such a frustrating process.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

Submitted mine there. Best of luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 JamPack

Anyone else have an impending sense of doom haha? :p

• Advertisement

I usually feel very confident in my abilities at stage one do in just anxious to get through that and onto the shortlisting so I can see if I have a chance!!

Advertisement