Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Issue with Manger

• 23-10-2020 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

How's it going.

Last wednesday i had a bit of a issue with my manager, I had being given some tasks too finish before i finished for the day, Now i got most of those done and forgot too do 2 things before i went home but the supervisor was happy enough with what i got done in that day, Then the manager rings me half an hour later saying how he's disappointed and not happy with that i didn't finish the last 2 things that i was told to do, He told me not too come in for the next 2 days as of it till he's back in saturday, So i have missed yesterday and today over something so silly, I went back down and asked one of the supervisors too call him so i could talk too him and he told them he has no interest in coming out too talk too. What should i do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Forgetting to do what your manager asked you to do isn’t silly, having said that, if it was something minor, just hold your hand up, say it won’t happen again. If you are on a contract where hours aren’t guaranteed, it might be time to look for a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ryzken

Dav010 wrote: »
    Forgetting to do what your manager asked you to do isn’t silly, having said that, if it was something minor, just hold your hand up, say it won’t happen again. If you are on a contract where hours aren’t guaranteed, it might be time to look for a new job.

It was forgetting too unwrap a pallet and move another pallet nothing else. I'm contracted for 20 hours but getting 39-41

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Give him a kick in de balls and tell him shove his job where the sun dont shine.

The cheek of him asking you to finish two things and then not finishing them.

Sheezzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Augme

Look for a new job.

Otherwise do nothing. You've reached out to the manager as best you could and he has made it clear he doesn't want to know. I wouldn't make any further attempts to engage with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The professional thing to do was for him to speak to you during the following shift. Investigate what happened, why it happened, how to move forward... PIP, verbal warning, whatever... he’s obviously just another immature toy throwing moron of a boss. Employees make mistakes. If it’s a once off it’s a PIP or verbal, if it’s happening with a small bit of regularity and consistency then more formal procedures and possible sanctions need apply. Just saying ‘don’t come in’ ? I’d say a fella like that would have trouble managing his dinner.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    The professional thing to do was for him to speak to you during the following shift. Investigate what happened, why it happened, how to move forward... PIP, verbal warning, whatever... he’s obviously just another immature toy throwing moron of a boss. Employees make mistakes. If it’s a once off it’s a PIP or verbal, if it’s happening with a small bit of regularity and consistency then more formal procedures and possible sanctions need apply. Just saying ‘don’t come in’ ? I’d say a fella like that would have trouble managing his dinner.

Maybe the manager just thinks it isn’t worth the effort dealing with someone who forgets simple instructions and thinks it’s silly to be pulled up on it. Doesn’t make the guy a bad manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Maybe the manager just thinks it isn’t worth the effort dealing with someone who forgets simple instructions and thinks it’s silly to be pulled up on it. Doesn’t make the guy a bad manager.

Nah. You engage with the person as an adult professional supposing it’s just sweeping the floors.
    He maybe annoyed the task wasn’t completed but talk to the person find out why and see how it can be resolved and avoided for the future. That manager is a childish idiot tbh

road_high wrote: »
    Nah. You engage with the person as an adult professional supposing it’s just sweeping the floors.
    He maybe annoyed the task wasn’t completed but talk to the person find out why and see how it can be resolved and avoided for the future. That manager is a childish idiot tbh

Sorry, you tell a guy to make sure he unpacks a palate and move another, then he fecks off home without doing it, nah, nothing you can do with that.

Sorry, you tell a guy to make sure he unpacks a palate and move another, then he fecks off home without doing it, nah, nothing you can do with that.

That’s a childish and petulant response. No you have a word with him- you speak to him. Disciplinary procedure if necessary. You don’t carry on like a child and ignore them. You establish the full facts- like why did he have to leave? Sick child or emergency? Then establish ground rules for future. If it’s repeated then it’s a big problem

That’s a childish and petulant response. No you have a word with him- you speak to him. Disciplinary procedure if necessary. You don’t carry on like a child and ignore them. You establish the full facts- like why did he have to leave? Sick child or emergency? Then establish ground rules for future. If it’s repeated then it’s a big problem

Did you read the op? His manager told him what he needed to do, but he forgot and went home. Sorry, no, there is no need for a word, a disciplinary or anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ryzken wrote: »
    How's it going.

Last wednesday i had a bit of a issue with my manager, I had being given some tasks too finish before i finished for the day, Now i got most of those done and forgot too do 2 things before i went home but the supervisor was happy enough with what i got done in that day, Then the manager rings me half an hour later saying how he's disappointed and not happy with that i didn't finish the last 2 things that i was told to do, He told me not too come in for the next 2 days as of it till he's back in saturday, So i have missed yesterday and today over something so silly, I went back down and asked one of the supervisors too call him so i could talk too him and he told them he has no interest in coming out too talk too. What should i do

Has he followed your companies disciplinary procedure correctly?

I highly doubt calling an employee off shift and telling then not to turn up to work would be endorsed by the WRC as a legal disciplinary procedure, have a chat with FLAC.

You are right, it makes the manager a fûcking terrible manager :)

He should have followed the legal steps in the company manual...

Investigation, hearing, decision with hr advice, action..

If the manager doesn’t see it as ‘worth their while’ to do their job properly, how can they expect the employees to ? Managers need to set and lead by example.. not enough do but hey.. :)

You are right, it makes the manager a fûcking terrible manager :)

He should have followed the legal steps in the company manual...

Investigation, hearing, decision with hr advice, action..

If the manager doesn’t see it as ‘worth their while’ to do their job properly, how can they expect the employees to ? Managers need to set and lead by example.. not enough do but hey.. :)

Why go to all that trouble? Op has a 20 hr contract, give him the 20 hrs, simple as that. Not much point in the manager doing anymore than that.

Why go to all that trouble? Op has a 20 hr contract, give him the 20 hrs, simple as that. Not much point in the manager doing anymore than that.

Fine, then when the manager is up shît creek in a few weeks two staff sick, one on leave, asks the OP for a dig out, covering a shift, the OP is simply informing him that he as a prior engagement which he is not of the ability to get out of and regretfully cannot on this occasion help out,, giving no more info than that.

Manglers not playing with a straight bat ? Give them the same back. ;)

Fine, then when the manager is up shît creek in a few weeks two staff sick, one on leave, asks the OP for a dig out, covering a shift, the OP is simply informing him that he as a prior engagement which he is not of the ability to get out of and regretfully cannot on this occasion help out,, giving no more info than that.

Manglers not playing with a straight bat ? Give them the same back. ;)

But why would a manager ever want to rely on someone who forgets a simple instruction? Better to get someone reliable, that’s what good managers do, employ reliable people.

But why would a manager ever want to rely on someone who forgets a simple instruction? Better to get someone reliable, that’s what good managers do, employ reliable people.

Because people make mistakes, people are human.

If a situation evolves where mistakes are made with regularity , systematic oversights, then the manager needs to do their job, follow the formal processes, disciplinary processes.

People forget things. If it’s happening regularly, then it’s a serious issue. You don’t overlook people doing OT because of it as your first call of action. That’s bone idle boneheaded lazy management.

Because people make mistakes, people are human.

If a situation evolves where mistakes are made with regularity , systematic oversights, then the manager needs to do their job, follow the formal processes, disciplinary processes.

People forget things. If it’s happening regularly, then it’s a serious issue. You don’t overlook people doing OT because of it as your first call of action. That’s bone idle boneheaded lazy management.

Strumms, by your own admission, you have never held a management position. If you did, and you asked someone to make sure they did something before they left work and they didn’t, unless that person is important, it would be best to rely on someone else who can do the task. Otherwise, you are just wasting your time. The fact that the op thinks that it is silly to be making a fuss about this indicates that he is not the most reliable of employees. I appreciate that you are always on the side against management, but you know what, some things are just not worth the trouble.

Why give OT to someone you can’t rely on?

Strumms, by your own admission, you have never held a management position. If you did, and you asked someone to make sure they did something before they left work and they didn’t, unless that person is important, it would be best to rely on someone else who can do the task. Otherwise, you are just wasting your time. The fact that the op thinks that it is silly to be making a fuss about this indicates that he is not the most reliable of employees. I appreciate that you are always on the side against management, but you know what, some things are just not worth the trouble.

Why give OT to someone you can’t rely on?

Because an employee makes an oversight that means they can’t be relied upon ?

If xx premiership player missed a penalty in the last minute to claim a draw, does he deserved to be dropped? Removed of penalty duties ? Messi misses one today, is he all of a sudden, ‘unreliable’... no, hes human.

You give feedback and get on with it.

Because an employee makes an oversight that means they can’t be relied upon ?

If xx premiership player missed a penalty in the last minute to claim a draw, does he deserved to be dropped? Removed of penalty duties ? Messi misses one today, is he all of a sudden, ‘unreliable’... no, hes human.

You give feedback and get on with it.

Strange analogy, but players do get dropped if they don’t follow their managers instructions. And football managers do pick players they can rely on to follow their instructions/tactics, even at the expense of more talented players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭LeBash

OP, id suck it up for the moment. Its not the job market at the moment to take some of the advice here.

You can always keep your eyes open for a new job but now is not the time to walk out without something to walk into.

Hopefully it works out a bit better for you and hang in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The OP forgot a simple instruction, mistakes happen, but the manager has been completely unprofessional in their handling of the issue. The manager is not following any disciplinary procedure, who would rely on someone who can't handle their employees?

Del2005 wrote: »
    The OP forgot a simple instruction, mistakes happen, but the manager has been completely unprofessional in their handling of the issue. The manager is not following any disciplinary procedure, who would rely on someone who can't handle their employees?

Manager here is in ropey ground- if there was an unauthorised dismissal case take well the first thing they’ll be looking at is whether he followed proper procedure. The worker being perceived as lazy or not responsible would be pretty irrelevant as there emotionally charged accusations rather than fact

what happens to a manager who goes home on Friday, bit of a stressful day / week, forgets to email off the overtime report to payroll before the Friday cutoff, we were paid monthly..

I was in a situation where that happened. I wasn’t needing it per say, but my payslip was 12 hours down ..others were but if I’d have been going on holiday or buying something that was dependent on the cash being right ? I wasn’t demanding the manager was disciplined, shît happens, we received an apology it wasn’t a systemic issue, we got over it, people are human.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

Strumms, by your own admission, you have never held a management position.

Out of interest, do you?

Strumms seems to be taking a fair a level headed approach. The world isn't as black and white as you make it seem - there could be a dozen reasons why the job wasn't completed, and we have nothing to suggest it's consistent behaviour from the OP.

Anyway, what kind of rubbish manager doesn't have the wherewithal to coordinate with the rest of his management team to get the job done by other means?

Manager here is in ropey ground- if there was an unauthorised dismissal case take well the first thing they’ll be looking at is whether he followed proper procedure. The worker being perceived as lazy or not responsible would be pretty irrelevant as there emotionally charged accusations rather than fact

The op has said he has a 20 hr contract, hopefully he gets his 20 hrs and that is the end of it. But I see no reason why the manager cannot offer the OT to other employees who may also need it, and be more reliable. But I really don’t see any reason for the manager to go beyond giving the op contracted hours, I also don’t see any reference in the ops post to dismissal.

Out of interest, do you?

Strumms seems to be taking a fair a level headed approach. The world isn't as black and white as you make it seem - there could be a dozen reasons why the job wasn't completed, and we have nothing to suggest it's consistent behaviour from the OP.

Anyway, what kind of rubbish manager doesn't have the wherewithal to coordinate with the rest of his management team to get the job done by other means?

There could be a dozen, but there was only one, the op forgot to do what he was instructed to do. Would a manager need to coordinate with the rest of management to ensure a pallet is unpacked?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

There could be a dozen, but there was only one, the op forgot to do what he was instructed to do. Would a manager need to coordinate with the rest of management to ensure a pallet is unpacked?

It's not a big deal. Managing people is not black and white, and the manager is paid to sort things out when humans make honest mistakes.

Calling the employee out of hours to cut their hours for something which could easily be sorted, is anger driven and incredibly poor management.

It's not a big deal. Managing people is not black and white, and the manager is paid to sort things out when humans make honest mistakes.

Calling the employee out of hours to cut their hours for something which could easily be sorted, is anger driven and incredibly poor management.

Perhaps the manager feels the best way forward is to offer OT to people who can be relied on to do the job asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Not a very nice situation, but I don't see that any disciplinary action was taken here?

My understanding is that the manager asked OP to do some stuff, and there was a couple of bits that weren't done.

OP is on a 20 hour contract, and the manager told them they weren't needed the next two days.

Again, not very nice, but contractually I would think there is no problem with that?

A very heavy handed way to make a point, and not something I personally would ever consider doing but I'm guessing as long as 20 hours are allocated, then that is as per contract.

If it were me, I would speak to the manager and apologise for not getting the bits done that I was asked to do and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Ryzken wrote: »

If I understand correctly, the following happened:
    • You were given a list of tasks by your manager. They had to be completed that day.
    • You didn't complete them all (you forgot to do two of them) and went home.
    • Manager rings you and says he's disappointed, and you should not come back into work until he's back in the office in two days.

It sounds like you're going to be fired.

I'm going to pretend I'm your manager and imagine what you could say to get a final chance.

So first thing tomorrow or whenever you're back you ask to talk to him. You apologise for leaving with both of those things unfinished. You take out a small notepad and pencil and tell me from now you're going to make lists of the tasks you need to do and tick them off as they're done, so this won't happen again. Also you ask me is there anything else I need to do to improve my work.

The last part is important as maybe there are other problems. Coming in late. Not wearing your mask properly. Too many smoke breaks. Etc.

Advertisement