Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

seamus wrote: »
    All signs at the moment point to far-right groups doing their best to fan these flames. If there are caches of bricks and other stuff being dropped in cities, that points to funded and connected groups, which is very much the style of the far right.

Twitter suspended an account last night that was purporting to belong to Antifa, when it turned out it was being run by a far right group.

It was being linked to all across far-right and conservatives forums and news sources as proof of how vicious and evil Antifa is.

Take it to the conspiracy theories forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Hurrache wrote: »
    Time passes. Some things happen 1 day, other things happen other days.

Unfortunately we live on a planet on which we have no control of time, it's relentless.

I suggest that you watch Groundhog Day - it's a deep and very moving existentialist film written by and pitched at philosophers like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

paw patrol wrote: »
    so when i see something like Rose City
    https://www.rosecityantifa.org/

who state this in the opening lines on their site....

you're telling me the "ideology" not the group was founded in 2007....
    the "ideology" was founded....

cos it reads to me , in their own words too....like its' a group or collation of groups.

help me out here..

A quick google search would tell you the idea of Antifa wasn't started in 2007... :rolleyes:

Antifa stands for Anti-Fascist, as has already been mentioned; the movement started in Italy in the 1930's in response to Mussolini.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Yes they do.
    Because "race" and 'racial identity' is a social construct, not a biological one.
    http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2017/science-genetics-reshaping-race-debate-21st-century/

more identity politics ripping the fabric of society

sure nowadays the loonies on the left say everything is a social construct .. theres no such thing as any identity, we are all whatever we wake up in the morning and decide to be.

The lunacy of the left has effectively gotten to the point where we can no longer refer to a person as a 'candlestick maker' for that is affirming the act of making candles to their identity, henceforth they should be called a person who makes candles, to not impose a social construct upon them.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,579 ✭✭✭✭walshb

There are circa 45 million black people in America, yes?

195-200 million white people?

What are the statistics on deaths from police "brutality?"

I mean, not all deaths/shootings by police that ended lives were brutality....a lot are part of the job....people die by police shootings...Police die by people shootings.

There is a stat going around about 13 percent of the U.S. is black, yet this percentage accounts for 50 + percent of murders?

This whole affair is being pushed far too hard as regards race.

Chauvin likely would have behaved that way had any man/woman been underneath him..

The insistence and pushing of this based off skin color is the real menace here....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

owlbethere wrote: »
    I'm tipping towards this stance myself.

The world has moved on a long time ago from the era of where black people were discriminated against and forced into slavery because of their skin colour. I've had a similar experience to yourself too. Like I turned down a coloured man before and he wasn't happy and he said 'it's because I'm black'. Ah, no, it's because I was happily single and didn't want anyone at the time.

Black people have been accepted in so many different communities and all across the globe. Long gone are the days where they were discriminated against because of their skin colour. Anything bad that happens to a black person is nearly always passed as racism and it more than likely isn't. Like for example a black person being turned down for a mortgage from a bank clerk who's white. It's will be passed off as 'it's because I'm black'.

How can we move on in a positive way with this? Or we will be here forever more with the racist card being dumped upon our backs when something doesn't turn out right for a black person.

its not us who have to move on...it the black community in america who have to move on. in parts of the US it would appear they dont want to be part of american society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

paw patrol wrote: »
    so when i see something like Rose City
    https://www.rosecityantifa.org/

who state this in the opening lines on their site....

you're telling me the "ideology" not the group was founded in 2007....
    the "ideology" was founded....

cos it reads to me , in their own words too....like its' a group or collation of groups.

help me out here..

You just proved yourself wrong - Rose City Antifa are a group, but are not all of Antifa, which is an ideology and not a group. Just like the National Conservative Political Action Committee (a group founded, in 1975) is all of conservatism, and conservatism (an ideology) indeed existed long before them as did anti fascism before Rose City Antifa, like this one from 1932 - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifaschistische_Aktion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

The Olympic 100metres final, and NBA would seem to contradict that theory.

You have a lot of learning to do.

All humans originated in Africa.
    We categorize humans on families of mitochondrial DNA variation called Haplogroups.

However not all Haplogroup of that human variation managed to migrate out of Africa.
    Only like, 3 mitocondrial Haplogroup types managed to settle into Europe.
    Similarly, other regions of the globe like Asia.
    Africa today and always, contains all the Haplogroups hence has the greatest genetic diversity of the planet.

When you look at an athlete, say a long distance runner, what are the genetic characteristics that make a great runner?
    Long Legs, Large lung capacity etc.
    Well, for Africans, they are effectively drawing from a large genetic pool where all the genetic traits like that are represented.
    Europeans on the other hand, are drawing from a smaller pool of genetic variation.
    https://genomebiology.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13059-019-1740-1

• Antifa movements have been going since they opposed Hitler and Mussolini because its an ideology. Funny, and pathetic, that a few on here would have sided with Adolf and Benito but not unexpected.

Newsflash. It is possible to be against fascism and Antifa simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,236 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

walshb wrote: »
    There are circa 45 million black people in America, yes?

195-200 million white people?

What are the statistics on deaths from police "brutality?"

I mean, not all deaths/shootings by police that ended lives were brutality....a lot are part of the job....people die by police shootings...Police die by people shootings.

There is a stat going around about 13 percent of the U.S. is black, yet this percentage accounts for 50 + percent of crime?

This whole affair is being pushed far too hard as regards race.

Chauvin likely would have behaved that way had any man/woman been underneath him..

The insistence and pushing of this based off skin color is the real menace here....

The police in America kill innocent people in line with population demographics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think the only way we can ever get over racism is to stop constantly viewing everything through the prism of race.

You know the whole "content of your character" thing as a great man once said.
    The Olympic 100metres final, and NBA would seem to contradict that theory.
    4687376d05c45e4b050ebac9206b53fa.jpg

To be against totalitarianism, requires opposition to both.

• BluePlanet wrote: »
    If you look at someone's color of skin, and use that as a means to determine their behavior, yes you are and out and out racist.

So anyone proposing "white privilege" is presumably a racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Say it aint so Krusty

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

not the dumbest thing i've seen on boards but it is right up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭ Tadeo Fit Calf

Someone died while a heavy man was kneeling on his neck. He said "I can't breathe" and "I'm about to die".

If you don't find it as plain as day that the heavy man kneeling on his neck killed him, then your connection to reality might be tenuous.

I'm not sure what you mean.
    Proposing what?
    Maybe you're using the wrong word.

No but it usually mark's one out as being White and at least upper middle class.

It's a class designator now, shows one as being above and morally superior to the proles, aware of your obligation to save people of colour.

• seamus wrote: »
    4687376d05c45e4b050ebac9206b53fa.jpg

I salute the achievements of great 100metre athletes. They are the best of the best.

Most of them happen to be of west african lineage though. So be it.

Doesn't mean there is some systemic racism denying white athletes the chance to compete for a gold medal. Also doesn't mean we need respresentation so that white kids can be represented on their tv screens.

• BluePlanet wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean.
    Proposing what?
    Maybe you're using the wrong word.

Proposing that having white skin inherently gives you an advantage in life over someone with black skin, all other things being equal. By your logic that would be racist, do you agree?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

if you're an unquestioning supporter of Trump you can't claim to be an opponent of fascism. It would be like claiming to not be a racist while claiming you can predict someone's actions based on the colour of their skin.

I get that supporting fascism and being a racist are not how most people like to think of themselves, but if someone checks the boxes and acts accordingly then as much as they might hate the labels, they are still accurate.

• RIGOLO wrote: »
    more identity politics ripping the fabric of society

sure nowadays the loonies on the left say everything is a social construct .. theres no such thing as any identity, we are all whatever we wake up in the morning and decide to be.

The lunacy of the left has effectively gotten to the point where we can no longer refer to a person as a 'candlestick maker' for that is affirming the act of making candles to their identity, henceforth they should be called a person who makes candles, to not impose a social construct upon them.

I disagree only with identity politics "ripping the fabric of society".

I think it is like a lose thread being pulled that is slowly unravelling the fabric of society, slowly, not dramatically, but it is definitely happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,902 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

CNN is the centre-right version of the far-right Fox News, both dabble in hate, fear, and misinformation, CNN since 2013 and Fox since God knows when.

We need to stop attributing political wings to these networks. They are just businesses that choose to deliver a product to a target audience in order to make money.

They are not news outlets, nor are they in it for any kind of honest reason. They are in it for the money and their market share.

If people want to see these hucksters go away, then they need to stop consuming the product they peddle and switch the channel.

Proposing that having white skin inherently gives you an advantage in life over someone with black skin, all other things being equal. By your logic that would be racist, do you agree?
    Potentially racist, sure.

White privilege is an observable phenomena.
    Just look at the disparity in sentences of like crimes.
    Blacks get sent to prison while Whites walk for the same.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Nozebleed wrote: »
    is it time to change the thread title. which is very inflammatory. given the latest information coming out from the coronor..

its now appears that george floyd died from a heart attack. blood work shows fentaynl,metamphetamine and signs of heart disease. as well as a history of cocaine abuse..these were all contributory factors in his death.

Sure they were but if someone had cancer and died 18 days after contracting Covid 19, it's the virus that killed them. They may or may not have survived the cancer but they wouldn't have died right away from it. So Floyd may have had underlying conditions and have had drugs in his system but they weren't going to kill him that day. Someone kneeling on his neck was the factor that made him die right there and then.

• Multiculturalism has never worked anywhere. Sad to say but true. I grew up believing in the ideals of the Benetton ads, a smiling utopia. Then I travelled and saw the world as it actually is.

I can't think of a single multicultural country in global history that hasn't been without serious ethnic or racial tension.

At what point do we just acknowledge reality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Potentially racist, sure.

White privilege is an observable phenomena.
    Just look at the disparity in sentences of like crimes.
    Blacks get sent to prison while Whites walk for the same.

In Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Multiculturalism has never worked anywhere. Sad to say but true. I grew up believing in the ideals of the Benetton ads, a smiling utopia. Then I travelled and saw the world as it actually is.

I can't think of a single multicultural country in global history that hasn't been without serious ethnic or racial tension.

At what point do we just acknowledge reality?
    Shh the SJW will be all over you for that
    We have to pretend that Fred, Fatima, and Foluke are all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    In Ireland?
    No, of course not
    But that doesnt suit the SJW agenda

Never let facts get in the way of a good rant.

• Advertisement

• Someone died while a heavy man was kneeling on his neck. He said "I can't breathe" and "I'm about to die".

If you don't find it as plain as day that the heavy man kneeling on his neck killed him, then your connection to reality might be tenuous.

I don't think there is a single person on here who denies this. The cop should be charged and should rot in jail for what he did. Let justice be done.

I think posters like myself take issue with the terms like systemic racism or white privilege which sound weighty and serious but which have no substance or basis in reality.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement