Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vodafone X - €20 Prepay Offers

Comments

inyourp wrote: »
    In fairness I've Vodafone and speed on 4G+ is 90-100mbps, we also have gomo and speed is only 3-5mbps. We live in Newbridge and the tower with Eir and Vodafone is about 200 meters from our house (with direct view).

I'm not sure if Eir is limiting Gomo speeds, but the speeds are fraction of Vodafone, and coverage pretty bad. I suppose for 9.99 it is fine for making phone calls and kids, but for serious data usage Vodafone is only option.

Just tested my GoMo SIM. 100 down, 22 up. Dublin 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Basil3 wrote: »
    Just tested my GoMo SIM. 100 down, 22 up. Dublin 15.

My vodaphone PAYG is gone to hell , Max 10 MB download-0.35 upload

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

My vodaphone PAYG is gone to hell , Max 10 MB download-0.35 upload
    10MB down is very good.
    10Mbps is what it'll be in 2 weeks ish.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    10MB down is very good.
    10Mbps is what it'll be in 2 weeks ish.

Dreading it

I don't see the issue really, if it's stable and near ish to 10Mbps it'll be grand for pretty much everything you'll be doing on the phone anyway, unless you're using it as a hotspot for the whole house.

• Advertisement

I don't see the issue really, if it's stable and near ish to 10Mbps it'll be grand for pretty much everything you'll be doing on the phone anyway, unless you're using it as a hotspot for the whole house.

It's not steady ATM, sometimes up to 50 MB sometimes 2.5

It's not steady ATM, sometimes up to 50 MB sometimes 2.5

Are you confusing MB/s with Mbps?
    50MB is about 400Mbps, which is faster than my Virgin Media broadband.

One of the reasons VF are doing this is so they don't end up like 3 and have actual stability in their network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Lads I bought the below and for some reason I can't connect. I have VF unlimited weekends payg, when I use my work sim it's fine vf bill pay

Any reason why it won't connect?

https://techrvw.com/2019/06/08/review-tp-link-m7200-the-mobile-hotspot-for-travelers/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

pm. wrote: »
    Lads I bought the below and for some reason I can't connect. I have VF unlimited weekends payg, when I use my work sim it's fine vf bill pay

Any reason why it won't connect?

https://techrvw.com/2019/06/08/review-tp-link-m7200-the-mobile-hotspot-for-travelers/

Probably uses the HS APN which you need to pay for.

The Live APN uses your data allowance.

Probably uses the HS APN which you need to pay for.

The Live APN uses your data allowance.

Thanks for the information, it's a bit over my head. I take it there is nothing I can do to change it? Other than change my plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

pm. wrote: »
    Thanks for the information, it's a bit over my head. I take it there is nothing I can do to change it? Other than change my plan

If there is no APN selection setting on the device you could ask VF to disable the HS APN at account level, but that depends on your plan and if they'll allow you to use the SIM in a hotspot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I take it there is nothing I can do to change it? Other than change my plan

Connect to the settings of the device through a web browser. The usual address is 192.168.1.1 (type that into browser address bar), check the user manual for steps.

Within settings there should be APN details that can be edited, the APN should be set to live.vodafone.com

The SIM PIN might also need to be entered in the device settings.

Does the SIM work in a phone and if so, does hotspot work from the phone?

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Connect to the settings of the device through a web browser. The usual address is 192.168.1.1 (type that into browser address bar), check the user manual for steps.

Within settings there should be APN details that can be edited, the APN should be set to live.vodafone.com

The SIM PIN might also need to be entered in the device settings.

Does the SIM work in a phone and if so, does hotspot work from the phone?

Hi ten pin

Thanks for your reply, I am going to try that now. Yes I can use data from the phone and also hot spot no problem. I will give the settings a go and see if that works

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

One of the reasons VF are doing this is so they don't end up like 3 and have actual stability in their network.

He obviously means 50Mbps.

Ten pin thank you so much, working perfect now ðŸ‘ðŸ»

FourFourFM wrote: »
    He obviously means 50Mbps.

Yes sorry

Yes, sorry,it goes up to great speed and down to crap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭homingbird

Do you get to keep the credit with this deal as I have subs going with my three sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

homingbird wrote: »
    Do you get to keep the credit with this deal as I have subs going with my three sim.

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Just realized my data wasn't working, checked the usual settings etc, then realized my plan (MusicX) had lapsed, check the app and its a new app, looks like the new app has deleted my recurring payment and i never realized. Might help someone else from missing their topup and using their credit by mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭MickH503

Snotty wrote: »
    Just realized my data wasn't working, checked the usual settings etc, then realized my plan (MusicX) had lapsed, check the app and its a new app, looks like the new app has deleted my recurring payment and i never realized. Might help someone else from missing their topup and using their credit by mistake.

Thanks for that. Is the €5 Spotify Premium subscription gone? Mine disappeared on last top up and I can't figure out how to get it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

MickH503 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Is the €5 Spotify Premium subscription gone? Mine disappeared on last top up and I can't figure out how to get it back!

It's still there.get on to web chat thats how I got mine back

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

I got 5e free credit when I topped up by 20 in one go, so at least that covers Spotify for another month!

MickH503 wrote: »

Happened my son,got onto live chat, sorted ( Spotify) at first they couldn't find any proof of him topping up, but he was adamant about it, problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I just got €52 credit wiped out on Vodafone X.
    It's the usual problem - it's happened to me twice before, when I got an OS update and when I changed a handset - you have to delete the bastard APN (hs.whatever) that charges when you use the phone as a hotspot, and only use the live.vodafone one. Unfortunately Moto pushed 5 or so updates at me over the weekend, including update to Android 10, and one of them reloaded the 3 APNs from the SIM - and 2 episodes of The Shield later my internet stopped, out of credit! So at that point I deleted bastard APN and internet resumed. I've complained to Vodafone but they are playing silly buggers like they don't know what I am talking about. Customer service guy seems to be in India.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭tjhook

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    ... Unfortunately Moto pushed 5 or so updates at me over the weekend, including update to Android 10, and one of them reloaded the 3 APNs from the SIM...

Yep, from what I've read, Google is in league with the carriers to allow APNs to be locked by those carriers.

When I spoke with Vodafone, they were quite up-front, saying that they won't support tethering. At least not on Vodafone X. I'm ok with that, at least they were honest with me. So I moved to GoMo, who support my requirements. I'm sure there are other carriers that would too.

Between lack of tethering, and the Spotify package being repriced, Vodafone X just wasn't a good deal for me any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

Does the unlimited data starts on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Does the unlimited data starts on Saturday?

Do you me a the unlimited weekends package?

3pm Friday to midnight Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

rizzee wrote: »
    Do you me a the unlimited weekends package?

3pm Friday to midnight Sunday

They’re changing the offer from unlimited weekends to unlimited data.

• Advertisement

They’re changing the offer from unlimited weekends to unlimited data.

Yes but throttling back download speeds to a max 10 MB

Advertisement