Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

• 26-12-2014 9:06am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Brand new Arcade and Retro Chat thread....careful now.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I just love that new General Retro Chat thread smell.
    And look at all the room in here!
    I can't wait to see what you all do with the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

Shouldnt <Insert Coin> be to the right of the thread title instead of the left? ;)

Ahem!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

What do the other peeps of the boards think?

I thought the original title was perfect:

Arcade and Retro General Chat: <Insert Coin>

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

New thread, new me xoxo

*duck face*

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Doge wrote: »

Yeah the original reads better. Not worth stressing about though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Sera wrote: »
    Reposting, attachment wasn't working.
    Friend of mine looking for Villager and Wii Fit Trainer amiibos, not sure where to post but he's looking to swap for Marth(s).
    Attached image is the (hopefully working) OP
    If needs to be moved or deleted just lemme know.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057325414/19/#post93577585

Have a look at that thread. Someone might be able to help you out. I saw a Villager and Wii Fit Trainer in Gamestop on Henry Street on Wednesday. Villager had a sticker on the plastic saying hold until New Year, but it was out on the rack. Might be gone by now, but it's worth a look if you're close and stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057325414/19/#post93577585

Have a look at that thread. Someone might be able to help you out. I saw a Villager and Wii Fit Trainer in Gamestop on Henry Street on Wednesday. Villager had a sticker on the plastic saying hold until New Year, but it was out on the rack. Might be gone by now, but it's worth a look if you're close and stuck.
    Thank you Tomo! I posted it there and removed the post, seems the best place.
    Just posted incase someone was looking for Marth, I haven't the money to buy it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

New thread, new me xoxo

*duck face*
    Duckface, you say?

FaaFW0j.png

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »

Nah, this one is better. 'Insert Coin' is the title of the thread and 'general arcade and retro chat' describes what it's about.

The other way around just looks odd :p

Has anyone played Stick of Truth? Wondering if it's worth picking up.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Nah, this one is better. 'Insert Coin' is the title of the thread and 'general arcade and retro chat' describes what it's about.

The other way around just looks odd :p
    I think the other way looks like a game screen, the coin part isn't ever on top is it? it's like
    Game Title!
    Insert Coin
    I thought I already posted but it's not here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Has anyone played Stick of Truth? Wondering if it's worth picking up.

I tried to get into it for a good 4 hours I think but found the humour forced and didn't have the clever context that makes south park actually funny. It's more 'hur hur remember this episode'. Combat is a bit crappy. I might try and play a bit more but honestly don't see what people see in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The new update from the La Mulana development team is pretty encouraging about the indie scene in Japan. Culturally they saw stuff like kickstarter and the likes as begging so indie was really just the doujin scene. However they are saying that it's taking off massively finally in japan, although it's eating into development time since instead of begging to get into trade shows they are now being especially invited to each and every one of them.

Kind of hoping japanese indie games make it big. Now Western indie games are well and good but I'd love a few more games like La Mulana, Cave Story, Fortune Summoner or Gunhound EX that are very authentic to 16-bit gameplay of old and not the bad western indie games that that just can't get it right (Shovelknight being an exception that proves the rule). Maybe even a return of weird japanese b-tier games like Katamari?

From what I've seen, the combat system would be the turn off. I don't mind the RPG aspect, but I'd prefer a more involved combat system than the 'select attack, watch, now you block, rinse, repeat'

€20 in Smyths at the minute. Have quite the backlog though. Just getting into GTA V too. I've been having some trouble with the PS3. Tried the GTA install multiple times and it kept failing, freezing online in BF4 and once or twice in Uncharted 3. I deleted the Battlefield 4 game data and it installed fine. About 10% in after around 3-5 hours, so I've a while to go yet, ha.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

watched the babadook yesterday , really one of the worst movies I ever seen :mad:

watched the babadook yesterday , really one of the worst movies I ever seen :mad:

Wow, it's been gaining a lot of great reviews.
    Each to their own I suppose.
    That said, I've been watching The Babadooks lead actress Essie Davis in Miss Fishers Murder Mysteries, she plays an investigator in 1920's Melbourne, very enjoyable but hard to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Wow, it's been gaining a lot of great reviews.
    Each to their own I suppose.
    That said, I've been watching The Babadooks lead actress Essie Davis in Miss Fishers Murder Mysteries, she plays an investigator in 1920's Melbourne, very enjoyable but hard to find.

it was one of my most hyped movies but it was just so painfully stupid to watch and I knew what the movie was going for from the very start.

its so painfully cut , alot of the acting was dreadful to watch and in the end I went really ?? this is what horror movies have come to for the last 2 decades ?

I woke up still angry that I wasted 2 hrs of my life watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I somewhat liked it. 6 out of 10. But I'm no cinema buff!

It's no amazing spiderman 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

it was one of my most hyped movies but it was just so painfully stupid to watch and I knew what the movie was going for from the very start.

its so painfully cut , alot of the acting was dreadful to watch and in the end I went really ?? this is what horror movies have come to for the last 2 decades ?

I woke up still angry that I wasted 2 hrs of my life watching it.

I thought the acting was quite good to be honest, the lead actress was excellent. She played a mother tortured by regular, mundane life really well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Thought the Babadook was a superb psychological horror, and a great portrait of tortured parenthood (like a less abstract Eraserhead).

If only there was a place where I had articulated my thoughts in more depth ;)http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057313730/1/#post92739912

I just fixed the link there,K?

Looking back over the past, bloody hell, 8 years or so, it's remarkable how many people are still posting as regulars here, with a few folk who have appeared before burning brightly and disappearing.
    If you are still out there we're here, always eagerly awaiting fresh retro gaming goodness discussion!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Thought the Babadook was a superb psychological horror, and a great portrait of tortured parenthood (like a less abstract Eraserhead).

If only there was a place where I had articulated my thoughts in more depth ;)http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057313730/1/#post92739912

I thought it was very well made and definitely something different. And like films like Dark Water the real horror comes from how difficult it is as a single parent with no support mechanisms around you. Is definitely great to see stuff like Babadook and Under the Skin being made and finding an audience.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I tried to get into it for a good 4 hours I think but found the humour forced and didn't have the clever context that makes south park actually funny. It's more 'hur hur remember this episode'. Combat is a bit crappy. I might try and play a bit more but honestly don't see what people see in it.

I think it does definitely pick up. Although the best jokes are the section where you control Randy as it pokes a lot of fun at video game tropes, the game should have been more like that. But yes, too many of the jokes are references to stuff that happened in the show and mostly stuff from the really early years of the show. It's only about 12 hours long so you'll plough through it pretty quickly. I found the combat to be very similar to the Mario & Luigi GBA games, and that's about as much depth as I'd be looking for in a game like this.

It's also worth watching the 3 episodes they made that were supposed to run into the story of game. It gives a lot of background to the fantasy world that the kids are playing in and it will make you love Princess Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's no amazing spiderman 2.
    ruv3DT0.gif

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I just fixed the link there,K?
    Thank you! I'm too lazy on mobile :)

DinoRex wrote: »
    I thought it was very well made and definitely something different. And like films like Dark Water the real horror comes from how difficult it is as a single parent with no support mechanisms around you.
    Did you actually like DW or was it just an example? I enjoyed it (JP ver.) but don't remember anyone else saying they did. I used to get the Tartan Asia movies cheap in Xtravision, those were the days

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement