Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

• 18-05-2020 10:32am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Time to discuss what golf is going to look like for next year, maybe more, who knows.

What is your club doing? What would you like to see happen?

Mod note: we have done to death the restrictions(5k jumping to 20k in June) so this is not a thread for discussing that topic, take it to COVID-19 forum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Well, it's overcast but calm here today as the first golfers in yonks hit off the 1st tee. There's a combined handicap of about 5 in our first group off (one an ex-Irish International!). I'll be hacking my way around later on this evening :pac:
    513335.jpg

And yes, before anyone asks, they all live within 5kms (of all parts) of the golf course...
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/2020/0518/1139032-golf-clubs-begin-recovery-as-members-rush-back-in-sligo/

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Absolutely love that place. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Look forward to searching for my ball in the Rough, Tee off 3.45 today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Great to see people back out there!

Fairway looking a bit brown, although looks can be deceiving. Not much rain of late, apart from today of course!

Good idea for a thread, I'd love to see photos of great looking courses up and down the country, not least so we can praise the work of our greenkeepers!

I'll post some tomorrow evening:)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

What we would like and whats feasible are two different issues.

I am sure we would also love to start 2021 like we started 2020 with handshakes on the 1st tee and 18th green, with some banter over the coffee in the bar afterwards. Raking bunkers, pulling flag poles out of cups. Trying to make an inter club team.

All this is dependant on how we as a society manage covid 19 because at the moment it does not look like we can eliminate the virus.

• Advertisement

This is one I took on Saturday: this is the brownest fairway. Guess which hole...
    513340.JPG

8th?

8th?

Nope...

100% the 17th..

100% the 17th..

Well, only about 60% 17th: you can't see the tee or the 1st part of the fairway!!

But yes: 17th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

513335.jpg

Beautiful course and corner of the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Nice round to start back, a bit if drizzle but who cares.
    We have gone with no flags on the green they are off the green opposite the hole, worked well.
    Anyone get pulled in by the Guards on the way to the course

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

mike12 wrote: »
    Nice round to start back, a bit if drizzle but who cares.
    We have gone with no flags on the green they are off the green opposite the hole, worked well.
    Anyone get pulled in by the Guards on the way to the course

Please stay off that topic as it's a quick route to the whole 5k that killed the other thread

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

6 counties back open tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Played 18 holes today in 3 hours. Lovely brisk pace. Golf wasn't great as expected but boy was it good to be out there playing again. The body feels a bit beaten up TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jamfer

I was out today, it was like I had never played the game before. It was great to be out though and the rain didn't dampen it too much. I was a bit fatigued too, so I guess I'll be playing myself into it over the next few weeks. The course was in great nick, the greens were fantastic.

Not sure there is any point of the 14 mins tee times we were a hole and a half ahead of the group behind, don't think there was really any need for it.
    Nice pace and a bit stiff after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Well, that was glorious.

So glad to be back on the course today after 9 weeks stuck inside. It was lovely to see other human beings apart from my wife too:)

The course was is spectacular condition and after a shaky start I played some good golf, just a couple of points off my handicap.

Long may it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Looking forward to a round tomorrow after reading this thread. I better chip in at least once after all the practice in the garden :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Was lovely today.

Weather a bit of a let down after the great weather we had the last while but it was OK enough.

Don't think I've ever seen our greens as good as this. Nice to play without all those fkn lazy pitchmarks. I will never understand that but different subject.

First time without placing but it was like getting back on a bike, not a problem. Course in great condition helps of course.

We didnt really do anything with regards to 'incentives' so it was just a lazy round of casual golf no counting whatsoever.
    We flew around in 3 hours. Slightly under 3 hours even. Scoring would have been pretty poor. Rather rusty on and around the greens and a couple of bad swings too, but nothing that I didnt expect. No pressure golf.

Everyone observed distancing etc but with the 14 minute intervals the car park was only half full anyway. No issues that way.

Just felt great to sniff a bit of normality and to hit balls. And great to talk to some people other than the OH not that there's something wrong with her but you know how it is.

Back out tomorrow again this time with my regular guys. Will have to play a bit better but that should be possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Not sure there is any point of the 14 mins tee times we were a hole and a half ahead of the group behind, don't think there was really any need for it.
    Nice pace and a bit stiff after it.

The 14 minutes is more to regulate how many golfers are on the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,704 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Played 9 today.

Well done to the GUI and clubs of Ireland , very professional by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,985 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Looking forward to a round tomorrow after reading this thread. I better chip in at least once after all the practice in the garden :D
    I'll be disgusted if I dont break at least one window on the course after all my garden practice!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

I was surprisingly shocked with how poor our greens were. Slow I can understand but bobbly greens and bare in places hard to fathom. What were other courses like?

I can only think it is a finance issue not to have true rolling greens no matter what speed after 8 weeks of rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jamfer

The greens in my club were excellent. The rain slowed them a little. But they were running true, no pitchmarks as the ground was hard inspite of the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JJTippBhoy

Played 36 holes on 2 different course’s yesterday. Body a bit broken up but playing another 18 on a 3rd course today. Well worth the aches and pains 😂. I’ve really missed golf.

JJTippBhoy wrote: »
    Played 36 holes on 2 different course’s yesterday. Body a bit broken up but playing another 18 on a 3rd course today. Well worth the aches and pains 😂. I’ve really missed golf.

Cool who are taking green fees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I didn't play well yesterday but I chipped in twice!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JJTippBhoy

Cool who are taking green fees

Am a member of 2 clubs so not green fees. I was just starved for golf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I may never post here again :)
    Im going to play every single day from now on, so no time for the internet :)
    I did get the odd round in during the lockdown but they were few and far between, so really enjoyed yesterday and same again now come 4 o clock.

Advertisement