Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid 19 crisis - aid to the civil power

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Literally anywhere else other than a ship is a better, more accessible venue for testing.
    Most hotels are closed, the HSE could simply hire an empty hotel for a couple of weeks. Plenty parking and all facilities for both testers and patients alike. Easily cleaned and plenty space.

And as for powerhosing, I don't think blasting aerosolised pathogens into the air in a populated area is a good idea.
    The floors, doors and corridors of a hotel, warehouse or sports hall are more easily mopped and wiped down than the narrow and fixture riddles spaces in a ship.

And how on earth are the disabled, old, vulnerable and frail and limited mobility people expected to get up a gangway and get around and through the stepped hatches and congested spaces on a ship?
    It would be a nightmare all round.

It's a ridiculous idea and again, something that could only be dreamt up of by military types with little experience or appreciation of the great difficulty that the frail and mobility impaired and disabled have getting around day to day, never mind on a cramped ship littered with obstacles, steep steps and trip hazards.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You obviously didn't read the post above yours, but don't let that stop you.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

sparky42 wrote: »
    Ok why do you think there's "danger" at all?

I think the reason why the ships are being used rather than your suggested facilities is that the crew know how to perform such checks on the ships while ensuring the crews safety due to their experience in the Med. The check space will be on the upper and aft decks which worse come to worse can just be powerhosed off at set times, something not entirely available in said offices/clubs/hotels.

Yeah I'd say this is it, I'm sure the ships that operated in the Med rescuing people would have been trained and prepared for the possibility of someone carrying an infectious disease, TB would be likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Yeah I'd say this is it, I'm sure the ships that operated in the Med rescuing people would have been trained and prepared for the possibility of someone carrying an infectious disease, TB would be likely.

Correct.

They wore full PPE gear (not au fait with type - white ones :) ) and had isolation and decontamination procedures.

Correct.

They wore full PPE gear (not au fait with type - white ones :) ) and had isolation and decontamination procedures.

• Advertisement

Literally anywhere else other than a ship is a better, more accessible venue for testing.
    Most hotels are closed, the HSE could simply hire an empty hotel for a couple of weeks. Plenty parking and all facilities for both testers and patients alike. Easily cleaned and plenty space.

And as for powerhosing, I don't think blasting aerosolised pathogens into the air in a populated area is a good idea.
    The floors, doors and corridors of a hotel, warehouse or sports hall are more easily mopped and wiped down than the narrow and fixture riddles spaces in a ship.

And how on earth are the disabled, old, vulnerable and frail and limited mobility people expected to get up a gangway and get around and through the stepped hatches and congested spaces on a ship?
    It would be a nightmare all round.

It's a ridiculous idea and again, something that could only be dreamt up of by military types with little experience or appreciation of the great difficulty that the frail and mobility impaired and disabled have getting around day to day, never mind on a cramped ship littered with obstacles, steep steps and trip hazards.

Jesus.

"Could only be dreamt up by military types".

Actually, it would be civilians in the DOD who give the green light to use the ship for ATCA/P operations.

Don't let that unbalance that chip on your shoulder about the military. What are you bitter about?

Correct.

Type-5b Tyvek or Mutex probably, disposable single use suits

Edit: Type-4b maybe

Type-5b Tyvek or Mutex probably, disposable single use suits

Cant really see it but is it this gear?

By all accounts....they really needed to be suited up!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

They don’t need to decon the ship afterwards. Just tow the contaminated hull out to sea and use her in a SinkEx.

Cant really see it but is it this gear?

By all accounts....they really needed to be suited up!

Yeah exactly! One of these suits with a FFP3 mask, a pair of goggles and two pairs of gloves. The suits aren't anything particularly fancy, it feels a bit papery almost but the material is tight enough to protect against people coughing on you or blood spilling and they aren't so expensive so you just bin them afterwards.
    Correction, we and I presume they actually use a Type4b, it's a just a step up in terms of chemical protection from the Type5b

515PfqPPCoL._SY879_.jpg

https://www.cas-technik.eu/en/one-way/overalls/dupont-tyvek-classic-plus-cha6-protective-overall-with-booties-cat-iii-type-4b-5b-6b/

• Advertisement

They don’t need to decon the ship afterwards. Just tow the contaminated hull out to sea and use her in a SinkEx.

Probably the best thing for the fleet.

Probably the best thing for the fleet.

Im starting to think you caught a soldier banging you ma or something.

Whats the story with ya?

Outline your grievences with the DF and lets see can we work through some of them, no point having digs that dont mean anything bar pseudo making you feel better about something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭sparky42

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

sparky42 wrote: »

How long has she been out of service and I wonder what work required doing (i.e was she kept in RTR state or stripped out etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭sparky42

GM228 wrote: »
    How long has she been out of service and I wonder what work required doing (i.e was she kept in RTR state or stripped out etc).

She went out of service about 9 months ago since June last year, she has been keep at a readiness state, I mean her 57mm was removed for service hence why she sailed without it, no point in stripping her as she's unique in the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Reserve being called in to assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Why would they even use a ship for this? It makes no sense. How is a person with disabilities supposed to go on the ship for testing? The ship is a confined space, ideal environment for a virus to spread.

Not using the ships themselves it would seem:-

https://twitter.com/DF_Engineers/status/1241374768928116737?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

mikeym wrote: »
    Reserve being called in to assist.

People have only been asked to assist where available

I still don't know what a quay and ship can do that a vacant hotel or big sports hall could not do. Both alternatives could provide ample power and light and many other facilities.
    Locations of such alternatives are also likely to be far more convenient than a quayside.

I think bringing in the navy sensationalises things further.

If the navy were needed could the staff not be deployed to the hotel or sports complex, and leave the ships alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I still don't know what a quay and ship can do that a vacant hotel or big sports hall could not do. Both alternatives could provide ample power and light and many other facilities.
    Locations of such alternatives are also likely to be far more convenient than a quayside.

If the navy were needed could the staff not be deployed to the hotel or sports complex, and leave the ships alone?

Yes the Navy could set up in a sports complex ,or anywhere else ...
    But they have this handy mobile thing , with accommadation ,and kitchens,and laundry and power and a medical bay , and their tools , and established systems ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

It's just the State using all assets available in a national crisis. It's standard procedure nothing sensational.

They are just supporting temporary testing sites.

TBH, hotels are being prioritised for quarantine sites, using available hotels as testing sites reduces tbe available quarantine capacity.

Would you rather hotels as testing sites and the outside tents as quarantine sites?

It really doesnt matter if you dont understand it but the mobilisation of troops is just to help, just like everyone else.

If hotels are used as quarantine quarters, will the HSE pay the hotel company for the use of the hotel, and pay for a thorough disinfecting afterwards?

I'd hope that they are paying the same rate that they are paying for use of hotels as direct provision centres.

If hotels are used as quarantine quarters, will the HSE pay the hotel company for the use of the hotel, and pay for a thorough disinfecting afterwards?

I'd hope that they are paying the same rate that they are paying for use of hotels as direct provision centres.

You should run for a political party.

You question a lot of State decisions with minimal knowledge, just what seems to be baseless anger.

Maybe you should step forward and become a TD or something, then you can object to everything but on a level where you have influence.

Im not sure what job you do or if you have contribted to the State at all or you just like running it down. Either way, its quite tiresome.

I retract my earlier offer of a discussion and bid you farewell.

All the best with Covid-19, lets hope you don't need any of the procedures that have been put in place that you have been questioning.

Adieu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Which organisation?

National Ambulance Service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Bringing in retired staff is another absolute nonsense, and this covid seems to be absolutely surrounded by nonsense speculation.

Retired staff, even if they are physically capable, are no longer employees and thus would not be insured to do any work. And their training would be all out of date too unless they retired only very recently.

Was it experience in the PDF? If not the Army are hardly going to hire some random retiree who never had any previous experience with them. And if he is 60 he is at high risk so it would be a bad idea for him anyways.

Leave it to the authorities. As with a lot of other things, well meaning people going in to help out are usually more of a hindrance than a help.

My op said reactivation of retirees. It was implied they were PDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

A serial moaner. Are you a yelp reviewer?

What are you insinuating?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

What are you insinuating?

Exactly what I said in my last post, you are a serial moaner. Probably nothing better to do.

ectoraige wrote: »
    National Ambulance Service

Interesting, different procedure at my local Red Cross (not Irish)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Hi All,

Not sure where to post this...

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/irish-defence-forces_recruitment-defenceforces-activity-6646028791728746496-pJob

(Couldn't find a better link...)

At 0:36 secs, it looks like 2 Air Corps crew in a 2-seater...but it looks like a jet to me - complete amateur here - is this one of our aircraft - if so, can anyone tell me what it is....curious?

Thanks!

Advertisement